• So does anyone know what technology will be available in the global game? The only one I know about is paratroopers. This is were infantry stationed on a territory with an airfield can pair up with a bomber and make an assault on another territory no more than 3 space away. Other than this one what else will they give us? I never bought tech. in the old games so I hope that the tech. they do give is worth buying.

• Also post technology that you want 8-)

• I would buy that upgrade. Let say tanks now defended on a 4 and attacked on a 4

• call it what you want, it sounds too powerful for my liking…

…and don’t get me started on paratroopers.

• Larry has said the tech will be similiar to AA50, although he is going to have to change techs like mech inf and jet fighters in order to not oboslute the mech inf and tac bombers.

Jet fighters should be a defensive tech anyways and during stategic bombings jet fighters should intercept on a 3 or 4 instead of on a 2.

Also AA50 also has some pretty useless and non-sencical techs like warbonds and advanced artillery that need to be changed or rid of.

I too hope for a Heavy or Advanced tank tech(tanks defend on 4 perhaps), aswell as somkind of advanced anti-submarine warfare/sonar tech( i dont know what the rules would be for this). I also want somekind of tech that represents overall imporvment in antitank weapons, maybe this could replace advanced artillery.

Also I love this new change too paratroopers and hope all the techs have changes this good.

• Whats wrong with paratroopers :? I have been actually thinking of making specific sculpts for them myself by using spare pieces.

• @i:

mabe there will be atomic bomber were you get one atom too use. if you want another you pay 10 ipc
    atoms can ether kill 5units in one teritory or destroy one ic

Heavy Bombers are the PC name for Atomic weapons.

Atomic bombs were in Larry’s original NOVA games A&A.

• I think it would be a good house rule. I do not think larry wants atomic weapons or else he would have put them in a while ago.

• @molinar13:

Whats wrong with paratroopers :? I have been actually thinking of making specific sculpts for them myself by using spare pieces.

Their operational impact IMHO is not on level of the game’s scale.
    And as an individual formation they are significantly less potent that your “standard” infantry formation and tend to focus on seizing key points and not neutralizing / killing enemy units.

And if someone wants to argue Crete… well then you’d have to consider whether that battle was more lost by the defenders than won by the air landing / airborne attackers. It was a pretty dicey affair all told.

Instead, in terms of someone taking a territory with a paratrooper I think Arnhem is a better demonstration of the limitations of an airborne assault.

• Nevermind

• @allboxcars:

@molinar13:

Whats wrong with paratroopers :? I have been actually thinking of making specific sculpts for them myself by using spare pieces.

Instead, in terms of someone taking a territory with a paratrooper I think Arnhem is a better demonstration of the limitations of an airborne assault.

Right, and two attacking infantry probably wont be able to take a territory unless they are assited by ground forces, thats why this rule is realistic and awesome!

Here is exactly what larry said on the new paratrooper rules as it is misquoted above.

@Imperious:

LH 9-18

I can tell you this… There will be Paratroopers. They will be one of 12 techs (which are all pretty close to the Anniversary game’s techs.)

I call out Paratroopers because they have been radically changed from that tech in Anniversary. Infantry (up to 2) can be flown, to join an attack, if that location is within a 3 territory/sea zone range. They don’t need bombers or any other aircraft representation. They must however be on a territory with an airbase.

• Not trying to down play anyone but have you ever seen Band of Brothers. Tell me that’s not killing the enemy :wink:

• @Emperor_Taiki:

@allboxcars:

@molinar13:

Right, and two attacking infantry probably wont be able to take a territory unless they are assited by ground forces, thats why this rule is realistic and awesome!

Here is exactly what larry said on the new paratrooper rules as it is misquoted above.

@Imperious:

LH 9-18

I can tell you this… There will be Paratroopers. They will be one of 12 techs (which are all pretty close to the Anniversary game’s techs.)

I call out Paratroopers because they have been radically changed from that tech in Anniversary. Infantry (up to 2) can be flown, to join an attack, if that location is within a 3 territory/sea zone range. They don’t need bombers or any other aircraft representation. They must however be on a territory with an airbase.

Sir I stand corrected. I was unaware of that change. :oops:
    Thanks!

• In earlier games I played with paratroopers were they had a first strike capability. Just like a submarine execpt for paratroopers. DO you think this would be a good or bad addition? Even though they were not stealthy they did strike fast and hard at the enemy.

• @molinar13:

In earlier games I played with paratroopers were they had a first strike capability. Just like a submarine execpt for paratroopers. DO you think this would be a good or bad addition? Even though they were not stealthy they did strike fast and hard at the enemy.

Honestly, I’d say no and I’d reverse your last line.
    Operationally they do achieve surprise when they put boots on the ground in unexpected places.
    However, unlike a sub (or sub pack) which operates cohesively, paratroops usually hit the DZ in such a dispersed manner and take such time to rally and assemble that its like herding cats. If I recall correctly, the fallschirmjaeger in Crete didn’t even drop with their personal weapons; they were cannistered separately.

In game terms, simply there’s no consistent ability to spring into formation level offensive actions faster than the defenders can react.  More like chance platoon-coy scale engagements way below the scale of the game until relieved by straight legs.

• Very true points you are giving. However I think your scenarios would play out better for a much smaller scale than A&A. After all we all know that by the time your able to capture a third of a country by taking a territory on the board map your troops would have long already been rallyed together. I like what you are saying, infact your scenarios are what really happened in the real world. However just for a the games sake I think paratroopers make a good edition because not only do they historically accurate but I believe they are a scale that is right for the game

• @molinar13:

Very true points you are giving. However I think your scenarios would play out better for a much smaller scale than A&A. After all we all know that by the time your able to capture a third of a country by taking a territory on the board map your troops would have long already been rallyed together. I like what you are saying, infact your scenarios are what really happened in the real world. However just for a the games sake I think paratroopers make a good edition because not only do they historically accurate but I believe they are a scale that is right for the game

Well that’s my point.  The scale of the game is too grand to give the paratroopers any surprise bonus or really any enhanced lethality.

So I have to lean towards this new rule that ties them to working in concert with standard land units.

• Well you do not have too. After all they are going to be technology so it is just the luck of the dice if you get them or not… Okay so whether we agree about paratroopers or not they are in and instead of 1 infantry it is 2, and no aircraft are need to land them, just and airfield from the same territory. Any other tech. that people know about? I do not own A&A anniversary so I do not Know what those tech. are.

• And the paratroopers are used to “join an attack”.
    Not conduct their own.
    I think that’s a major change.

• I hope there is a tech for AB or NB, there’s a lot you could do there. Allow ports to have some type of reverse naval bombardment. Air strips could allow scramble to adjacent sz even when not on an island.

Advanced art could give your inf +1 on def (like it does for attack). Maybe only against an ampib assault.

Adv art could allow you to fire your two preempt (no return fire) or into adjacent tt.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m