Bases and others stuff in a world of Plastic

• Just thought I’d share what I’ve done.  I couldn’t stand the cardboard and the other stuff missing or sent by mistake so I started making my own stuff out of other games and battle boards, IPC charts and victory cities charts in MS paint, then photo printing at Wally-World.  Now I’ve gone completely overboard and old players of AA will think my complete instructional battle boards are silly, but if any one else might want it to print it I’ll send it to them.  Even though most battles can be resolved on the fly, larger battles are easier to understand with the pictured battle board, and more so for the beginner.  However I am not a beginner, been playing myself since the early 80’s I just do it cause I really like the game and want it as complete as I can make it, ok, over-done but havin’ fun.

Here’s a better pic of my Naval Base and Air Base.

I made two battle boards, one for land two by sea.  hum!, sounds like Paul Revere.

And I got a divider tray for each army, my IPCs from the original game, and I need professional help…

• Nice… you just gave me a few ideas on how to recycle the Classic edition pieces. :)

• WOTC ought to hire you…

It is amazing what a determined and innovative mind can come up with.

I intend to go a similar route creating an ad hoc version of AA50. The global game might be better but it also might be too complicated to really have fun playing (especially when you have driven 8 hours to hang out- we tend to wind up going off fishing)…

• Great job GrayBlaZe. I wish you worked at WOTC.

• GaryBlaZe,

Nice job. When AA50 came out, I was really fed up one day and thought ( thinking this was the last AA game for a long while…how stupid was i to think, but not dissapointed more game came out ) how to make piece’s better.

*I put tiny magnets to all land units, so when those being transported, it can actualy stick to the transporter so you can move the loaded transporter with units NOT falling off…

*I put tiny magnets on the aircraftcarriers and fighters, same reason as transporters.

*We painted the Italians navy/land and air force because it was so hard to see the colour being so simular to UK I think, one of the nations anyways.

For this game we have re printed out the Aircraft movemant markers as why this vital part of the game has stopped being included is redic. Not remembering, or to solve other players confusion on where your plane origianly came from is so important.

One thing you possibily have missed out is the 6 Zone markers, like in Old Pacific and revised AA games to save over-crowding in a teritory/sea zone. Again, another thing missing and vital in built up overloaded SZ, and territoriy.

But it makes gaming better with stood out playing pieces and easy playing, but you can live around with what’s provided too.

Nice pictures and thanks for your input for us all!

• BEAUTIFUL!!!  +10 Karma for that awesome job!!!

Wish I could do that!!!

• Like what you have done, good job man :lol:. Just one question, What did you use for a divider tray, a tackle box or what?

• Thanx……I actually got the idea to use tackle boxes before I got my game and had them ready for when it showed up.  I went to a large out door store “Out Door World” and they had a lot of choices.  I got long skinny ones for the regular armies.  Then I got a small one for China and nutral troups and markers, and such.  Then I got a larger one for all the chips from three different AA games, dice, and anything else I could think to thow in.  It’s a little overboard but I just enjoy it more when organized a little better.  Thanks for noticing!

• I use Plano “tackle boxes” to store my pieces.  There are many sizes and shapes for you to consider.  Run by Wally-world or a Bass Pro Shop and you will see what I mean.

I also paint my pieces, but I don’t have old AA games; just Revised, Pacific, Guadalcanal and Pac40.  I do have quite a collection of Pacific theatre pieces, but not many Europe pieces, yet.

One trick I noted that I haven’t used yet is to attach a magnet under the carriers and put a piece of iron/steel on the planes.  I guess you could glue a sewing pin to the bottom of the planes to get enough metal for the magnet to work.  It looks like a great idea and I wish I could give credit to the fellow that first showed off that trick.

Incidently, I paint my Japanese forces in two colors.  Some are IJA green, and most of the rest is “Sand” color for the IJN, although I plan to use IJN green for some planes.  I usually paint all the ship hulls Navy grey, and many superstructures silver and leave the decks the color of the plastic.  I know silver superstructures is not realistic, but it makes the game more fun for me.

I am considering using Monopoly Hotels painted for minor ICs.

• I’m from the South so we have Academy Outdoor stores here. Thanks for the idea of using a tackle box. I have always wanted to organize my units and now I know how :-D

• love it, we have taken to writing “F” on the back of the national marker chips and making groups of planes or fighters off the board so we can move 12 ships with one fingertip.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m