• Seems obvious that UK, Eastern USA, Germany, and Italy will each have 1 Major IC, 1 Air, and 1 Naval.

Here are some early guesses as to what other territories will come with facilities ‘pre-built’ on them:

Gibraltar: 1 Naval
    Malta: 1 Air
    Crete: 1 Air
    Iceland: 1 Air
    Norway: 1 Air
    Eastern Canada: 1 Minor IC, 1 Naval
    France: 1 Major IC, 1 Air
    Northwestern Europe: 1 Air
    Western France: 1 Naval
    Russia: 1 Major IC, 1 Air
    Karelia: 1 Minor IC, 1 Naval
    Caucasus: 1 Minor IC
    South Africa: 1 Minor IC, 1 Naval
    Romania: 1 Minor IC (?)
    Egypt: 1 Naval, 1 Air (?)
    Morocco: 1 Naval (?)

See any I’ve missed?

• Norway should have an Air Base, it had a lot of the Germans bombers and fighters.

• Nice one! Added Norway above.

• I’m sure Eastern Canada will have an airbase as well.  However it remains to be seen how Canada is divided.  Maybe Newfoundland will be a separate territory with a naval base, same with a tt like Nova Scotia or the entire maritime region as a whole.

• The only assumption Im going to make is that Europe will be crowded with those little square markers

• I’m actually thinking of modifying Anniversary Edition via the inclusion of Air and Naval bases, Minor and Major ICs, and convoy zones… could be fun, and give some sense of what Global '40 will play out like.

• A Naval Base in Northern Italy (Genova, La Spezia), Southern Italy (Taranto) and Sicily (Augusta).

• I would put a naval into “western” France - Germany used this as a staging point for subs end based some cruisers (includung the Scharnhorst/Gneisenau) for some time there.

If italy is split in 2 territories I would put an IC in northern Italy and a naval into southern Italy (Taranto was the strategically most important harbour)

I would not put an air into Italy  -  simply because the Regia MArina and regia aeronautica did NOT corordinate well

I’d prefer Lybia split into more than one territory - Tobruk could be a minor naval base …

A minor IC would also fit into Bohemia (if it exists) - the Sjkoda works were a major weapons manufacturer in the 30s

I’d say no air in Crete - German planes never really could reach Egypt from there

• Ukraine (or Caucasus) - 1 Naval Base (Sevastopol). Since it seems that you can invade Neutrals this might mean that Turkey can be invaded to allow passage through the Bosphorus.

Northern Germany - 1 Naval Base (Kiel)

• @democratic:

Norway should have an Air Base, it had a lot of the Germans bombers and fighters.

Well the game start in 1940, and at that time Norway only had a very small airfield with like 4 single planes. It was the germans that build all the airfields. So Norway should start with no Airbase, and let Germany buy an Airbase if they need one.

Norway should start with a Naval Base, because it had many large ports and shipyards, and one of the worlds largest merchant fleets, and this was one of the reasons that admirals Raeder and Dønitz wanted to control Norway, to get a free passage into the Atlantic.

• @Razor:

@democratic:

Norway should have an Air Base, it had a lot of the Germans bombers and fighters.

Well the game start in 1940, and at that time Norway only had a very small airfield with like 4 single planes. It was the germans that build all the airfields. So Norway should start with no Airbase, and let Germany buy an Airbase if they need one.

Norway should start with a Naval Base, because it had many large ports and shipyards, and one of the worlds largest merchant fleets, and this was one of the reasons that admirals Raeder and Dønitz wanted to control Norway, to get a free passage into the Atlantic.

I agree,

Also I would move the airbase from Italy to Sicily, as that inland was the used by the Italians as a giant aircraft carrier throughought the war.

And I doubt Romania and Egypt will start with anything in them, Germany and the UK should have to build up their respectively.

• Also I beleive that England used Irish naval bases, perahps Ireland will be pro-allies and the UK will be able to use a naval base that starts their.

• Customizer

@Emperor_Taiki:

Also I beleive that England used Irish naval bases, perahps Ireland will be pro-allies and the UK will be able to use a naval base that starts their.

No it didn’t.

Churchill offered to transfer sovereignty of Northern Ireland in exchange for wartime bases, but Eire’s pro-German leader deValera wouldn’t consider the idea.

Eire as a country, however, should be generally considered pro-Allied, as many Irish citizens volunteered to fight in the British armed forces.

If Northern Ireland is a territory this should contain a minor factory, as many warships and flying boats were built here.  It was also an important base for air patrols covering the Atlantic.

On a different note, I’m wondering about Gibraltar.

I assume it’ll be a stand alone land territory, probably ridiculously large and sticking into Spain.

But does it need to be a land territory at all?  Why not just make it a “treaty port”, that is a UK naval base within the territory of Spain?  If Spain joins the Axis Gibraltar would be easily captured; this is automatic. The Axis cannot attack the place directly (except perhaps by air if using ships in port rules) without violating Spanish neutrality.

A similar thing can be used for Hong Kong; it seems silly for the UK to own a huge province of China just to represent a small enclave built around the naval base.  Treat it as a UK port in Chinese territory; if Japan captures the territory the port falls just as any other land area with a port attached.

• Eastern United States - Port, Airbase, Major Factory

England - Port, Airbase, Major Factory
    Scotland - Airbase, Minor Factory
    Gibraltar - Port
    Malta - Airbase
    Iceland - Airbase
    Suez* - Port, Airbase
    *(A territory like Panama containing both sides of the canal)

Central France - Minor Factory
    Brittany - Port, Airbase, Minor Factory
    Tunis - Port

Northern Italy - Port, Airbase, Major Factory
    Southern Italy - Port

Rhineland (West Germany)- Major Factory, Airbase
    Saxony (East Germany) -  Major Factory, Airbase, Port
    Bavaria - Minor Factory
    Romania - Minor Factory

Moscow - Major Factory, Airbase
    Karellia - Minor Factory
    Archangel - Port
    Urals - Minor Factory
    Volga - Minor Factory

• @Flashman:

On a different note, I’m wondering about Gibraltar.

I assume it’ll be a stand alone land territory, probably ridiculously large and sticking into Spain.

But does it need to be a land territory at all?  Why not just make it a “treaty port”, that is a UK naval base within the territory of Spain?  If Spain joins the Axis Gibraltar would be easily captured; this is automatic. The Axis cannot attack the place directly (except perhaps by air if using ships in port rules) without violating Spanish neutrality.

A similar thing can be used for Hong Kong; it seems silly for the UK to own a huge province of China just to represent a small enclave built around the naval base.  Treat it as a UK port in Chinese territory; if Japan captures the territory the port falls just as any other land area with a port attached.

lol, good point, that makes so much more sence.

I am sure this interfiors with Larry’s KISS leanings, although it is not really complicated at all and its a very strong arguement since it applies in more than one case.

thx for the correction on the Irish bases BTW, i must have been reading something on churchill’s purposal and didnt make it to the end of the chapter.

oztea,
    i doubt their will be a suez territroy, and i dont know why you would put a naval base(or an air base for that matter) there if their was one. If a naval base is anywhere in egypt shouldn’t it represent the one at Alexandria?

• Customizer

Scotland & Northern Ireland - ports (Belfast & Glasgow major shipbuilders)

Southern Spain - Port (Cadiz)

Sweden - minor factory

Russian port should be Leningrad not Archangel, and Sevastopol
    Stalingrad factory should be in Volga territory; Caucasus has high IPC value (oil).
    Ukraine should also have factory before 1942; after this good case for Urals factory being major (moved from Ukraine?)
    Port added to Pacific map? (Vladivostok)

French ports at Marseille (Vichy) & Oran (Algeria); Dakar (Senegal)

Is Rome in northern or southern Italy?  If south should be only minor factory, despite being capital.

Romania - no factory but high value for oil

Egypt - port is Alexandria, possibly in Western Egypt territory?
    India - port (Bombay)

I also oppose the building of new ports; seems to big an undertaking in war.  Airbases can be built anywhere.

• @Flashman:

I also oppose the building of new ports; seems to big an undertaking in war.  Airbases can be built anywhere.

Your not building ports, your building naval bases, think of it a renovating a port that already exists.

• Is there anyone like me who wants 3 minor factories in africa. 1 in SA, that the UK will hold on to till the bitter end, 1 in egypt, that will be hard to capture, and 1 in Tobrock which can be consistanally traided. This makes africa a real possibility for uk, if they want it.

• @democratic:

Is there anyone like me who wants 3 minor factories in africa. 1 in SA, that the UK will hold on to till the bitter end, 1 in egypt, that will be hard to capture, and 1 in Tobrock which can be consistanally traided. This makes africa a real possibility for uk, if they want it.

those seem like reasonable places to build them, i dont think they should be in the setup.

• But their will not be a VC in africa, so atleast give Italy and UK something to fight for in north africa. Nobody would build a factory in Tobrouck, becasue it is to easy to take.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m