• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

Hey all,

Have a question.

I attacked with a naval force the japanese and brought the carrier with the force.

When can I attribute “hits” to transports and the carriers. Is it the last thing that can soak up hits?

I can see with transports not taking the hits (thought 50th prevented that) but what about the carrier?

Sean

• As far as I know, the carrier can take hits during combat.  However, once damaged they can no longer land planes on their deck (or have planes take off from them until repaired).

Transports cannot take hits in combat.  If you lose the battle, your transports will simply be gone (assuming the opposing force has any units left to take them out).

• The planes need to land elsewhere if you take a hit with the carrier. They can move four spaces from where the attack was launched.

AFAIK the only time carriers have planes on them that can’t take off is when the carrier is hit by a submarine-only attack. Because then the fighters cannot defend against the subs, so they’ll never take off.

• Really? I can’t make that up from the rulebook.

Anyway, I think my group will have this as a houserule then. It is quite a coincidence if all fighters from a CV are in the air at the moment that a surpsise attack takes place from a sub!

• Official Q&A

Page 29:

Whenever an undamaged carrier is attacked, its aircraft (even those belonging to friendly powers) are considered to be defending in the air and can be chosen as casualties rather than the carrier.  However, aircraft on a carrier cannot be chosen as a casualty from a submarine hit, because submarines can only attack sea units.

An exception is made that the planes can’t be hit by the subs, but no exception is made about the fact that the planes are in the air if the carrier is attacked by only subs.

• '10

@Tavenier:

Really? I can’t make that up from the rulebook.

Anyway, I think my group will have this as a houserule then. It is quite a coincidence if all fighters from a CV are in the air at the moment that a surpsise attack takes place from a sub!

A&AP40 rules page 16 upper right

Step 1. Place Units along the battle strip “…Place all of the attacking and defendig…units…”

Does not matter if they can hit or not (for example Figthers against subs)

Only exception: CARGO

“In a sea battle, place any cargo (wether your own units or an ally’s) beside the transport ship or on the aircraft carrier (guest air units)that is carrying it….”

Now you must read Page 18 lower rigth

Multinational Forces:“…such forces can defend together, but they can not attack together.”

You can place guest air untis along the battle strip for a defens. For all other cases they are cargo and remain on the carrier.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

Thanks all for the replies.

What I got was carriers can be take allotted hits “during” the combat while transports are different.  They take there hits last.  Which prevents transports soaking up hits.

I do realize that carriers can not land planes after being damaged. Which during the combat I forgot to mention it to the Japanese player so I allowed the one time. After all he lost his other two carriers and the planes that came with them.  He would of allotted his hits differently as well.  Easier solution the one time allow them to land.  At any rate they would of been finished by the Anzac forces air force upon there turn.

All in all I lost more IPC value but knocked his navy down drastically.  Now just to rebuild quickly for the US.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The only time an aircraft is EVER going to get “trapped” on a carrier, is if you use a carrier on your own turn that has a multinational fighter on it and you have attacked with that carrier, and taken a hit on it.

So basically, this “can’t” happen to you, unless you go out of your way to make it happen, during an attack.  It may make sense to do this, is some certain bizare scenario’s.  But Don’t be worrying yourself about it.

Now that said, once the carrier is tipped, the aircraft trapped on it cannot be used at all, until that carrier is repaired.

The more real likely hood, is, that if you are not careful, you may, wish to take fgt’s as hits as oppossed to tip your carrier, in attacks or defense, so that your aircraft will have a friendly place to land, if the carrier is totally at sea, with no island or territories in or adjacent to the sea zone, and no other possible carriers in range, to pick up the aircraft.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m