• Missed out on AA 50. I was wondering for those of you who have tried both AA50 and Pac 1940 which game was more fun to play. If you could pick up either Anniversary or the two new theatre games which would you pick and why?

Basically  I am torn between picking up  the new Pac and Europe theaters or just saving up and picking an overpriced version of the Anniversary Edition.
    I like most of what I have read about both games. The only thing I don’t like about the new Pac version is the apparent attempt to cut corners. The only thing I don’t like about the Anniversary edition is the current price tag.

• Try playing both here with AbattleMap.

I think 1940Global will be the way to go, but it will take much longer to play.  Who are you playing face-to-face games with? That might help you answer.

• '10

@tkroll:

Basically  I am torn between picking up  the new Pac and Europe theaters or just saving up and picking an overpriced version of the Anniversary Edition.
    I like most of what I have read about both games. The only thing I don’t like about the new Pac version is the apparent attempt to cut corners. The only thing I don’t like about the Anniversary edition is the current price tag.

The battlemap module for AA50 is excellent. I also think IL can direct you to where you can find AA50 map reproductions. All you’ll need after that is to download the rules and aa42 for pieces and you can play ftf. :wink:

• I have both…the anniversary edition was a lot of fun to play but i cannibalized it for more pieces to play Pacific 40…I love Pac 40…Eur 40 will be great when relased…u might just want to wait until europe 40 is released cuz when combined with pacific…it will be the largest A&A game to date…and the most fun…plus if u just want to play a specific theater instead of the whole thing…u have a choice…playing one theater is usually faster…

• printing IL’s map is costly, kinkos quoted me $159

• AA 50 is “Revised on steroids”, and has TONS of potential for modifications and house rules
    AA 50 is “playable” for newbies, and veterans alike

However…the combined AA40 games are described as a monstrosity, its going to be hard to find freinds to trudge through the first 2 or 3 turns with you while you essentaly…kill france, kill china, and expand in africa. All the while the allies are left sitting on their hands.

For down right, wholsome 4-7 hours of fun, AA 50 is the greatest 100$ I ever spent

When the 1940 mega game is out, im going to need 3-5 friends, a humongous table (or two) and about 8-16 hours of free time depending on circumstances.

Im not complaning about the 40’ mega game, im just saying that…AA 50 is AS BIG AS a board game can get and still be considered a “fun game with dice and plastic peices for you and your friends” and the 40’ mega game is an event, that might take days to complete, and requieres a “beyond beginer/novice” knowlege of the game to be a competitive game.

• It would be nice if somebody came up with a 1942 starting setup for the combined game when its out. I’m also a little worried I won’t be able to find anybody to play. For P1940 I thought I should be the Japanese because I’m more experienced than my opponent, but I could tell the really didn’t like sitting through a few turns without any real action taking place. I thought it was awesome though!

• im pretty sure that someone will come up with a 1939, 1941, 1942, setup for the combined game as well as a 1941, 1942 setups for the Pacific and Europe games alone…

Since u can put control markers anywhere on the game board…someone will use history or even the setups of the older A&A games to have different years represented on the board…

• Can’t compare until AAE40 comes out

• @MaherC:

printing IL’s map is costly, kinkos quoted me $159

Wow, i got a 4x2 of his 42 map printed out laminated and everything for 60 from a local sign store, they quoted me 90 for the native size of the aa50 map.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

@Vareel:

@MaherC:

Wow, i got a 4x2 of his 42 map printed out laminated and everything for 60 from a local sign store, they quoted me 90 for the native size of the aa50 map.

I found that a quote from Kinko’s is worthless.  You can ask the same shop two different times and they will give you three different answers.

Sean

• @oztea:

AA 50 is “Revised on steroids”, and has TONS of potential for modifications and house rules
    AA 50 is “playable” for newbies, and veterans alike

However…the combined AA40 games are described as a monstrosity, its going to be hard to find freinds to trudge through the first 2 or 3 turns with you while you essentaly…kill france, kill china, and expand in africa. All the while the allies are left sitting on their hands.

For down right, wholsome 4-7 hours of fun, AA 50 is the greatest 100$ I ever spent

When the 1940 mega game is out, im going to need 3-5 friends, a humongous table (or two) and about 8-16 hours of free time depending on circumstances.

Im not complaning about the 40’ mega game, im just saying that…AA 50 is AS BIG AS a board game can get and still be considered a “fun game with dice and plastic peices for you and your friends” and the 40’ mega game is an event, that might take days to complete, and requieres a “beyond beginer/novice” knowlege of the game to be a competitive game.

Well put.

• @trackmagic:

It would be nice if somebody came up with a 1942 starting setup for the combined game when its out. I’m also a little worried I won’t be able to find anybody to play.

ABattlemap and play by forum here at this site.  Plenty of A&A lovers, plenty of time.

• @tkroll:

Missed out on AA 50.

You can play it for free with TripleA. Download and install the unstable version.

• @RJL518:

im pretty sure that someone will come up with a 1939, 1941, 1942, setup for the combined game as well as a 1941, 1942 setups for the Pacific and Europe games alone…

Since u can put control markers anywhere on the game board…someone will use history or even the setups of the older A&A games to have different years represented on the board…

This is very true. It also is a good chance for alternate history scenarios. Sea Lion successful is the first obvious, and I can see others for the Unholy Alliance (USSR+Germany) or even Turtledove World War series. I myself have in mind another: what if Spain-USA war of 1898 never happened? May the obsolete Spanish forces, ralling exiled Dutch forces, hold Philippines and Guam? Will Japan attack Spain or just ignore them, thinking USA will not care the Pacific?

Options, many options! Mwa ha ha ha!  :-D

• @MaherC:

What is the file format. Can it be plotted?

• First off, don’t go to kinko’s talk to a graphic Designer, like myself, before you blow your money.

AA50 is so far the Best AA game ever!!

When the new Europe and Pacific are finally released, I will have to make a new judgement, but insofar AA 50 is superior to Pac40, which is terribly unballanced.

• Well, I am about to play P40 for the first time, but I do know this.  I like playing Russia, Italy, Germany, and the UK in Europe - I just like the global game a lot!

The combined 1940 game will not really be comparable with AA50.  Like apples and oranges.  First of all, the global situation was far different in 1940, of course.  AA50 will reign on as the best '41, '42 worldwide game where you can quickly teach people how to play and go at it.

If the combined doesn’t simplify the rules of the individual games, what with all the political situations and extra countries and exceptions and stuff, it will really only reign in the hearts of us die-hard war-gamers.  Not a bad thing, I’m just saying it looks like the 1940 games will be hard to compare with AA50.  Unlike AA50 to Revised, where AA50 just whips Revised in every way, and does everything Revised does, but better.

Kinda wish they’d improve on the 1942 scenario again, because AA50 has a lot of room for improvement.  (Like applying some of the AAP40 rules for starters - new AA rules, changed SBR rules, no auto-repairing BB’s, China, etc)  But I guess if they’re averaging a new game every 8-9 months, we won’t have to wait long!!!

• Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. I plan on cannibalizing a copy of the cheap new game, using the downloadable map, and picking up my own dice (to blazes with ugly dice- if I am putting it together I will use dice I like).

Still might pick up pac. 1940- I like playing with navy pieces what can I say?

Thanks again.

• @spectre_04:

First off, don’t go to kinko’s talk to a graphic Designer, like myself, before you blow your money.

is there like a local elks lodge of graphic designers where I can find them?  Or do I need to wait at Barnes and Noble in the Art section?  Not sure how I can find a graphic designer…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m