• So I was thinking, Japan gets its neato little bit of history with Kamakazies….I think its a little out of place in a game like AA, a “special rule” that only one power gets. But anyway…

Two points…why didnt the Americans get a “special rule” of their own, an atomic bomb?
    and point #2, how would YOU house rule in an atomic weapon for the americans, considering Im thinking of doing it myself id like to hear what others think an atomic bomb should do or not do.

My opinion was somthing like this…
    After the 10th game turn, the American player has acess to two Atomic Bombs. One strategic bomber may use one atomic weapon per turn when strategic bombing. If the bomber survives interception and AA gun fire, you then roll 4 dice and have the American Player assign them as follows.
    Highest Value - Strategic Bombing damage done to Industrial Complex
    Higher Intermediate Value - Number of Japanese units destroyed (chosen by Japanese player)
    Lower Intermediate Value - Permanent damage done to the IPC value of the territory
    Lowest Value - Permanent Damage to the Industrial Complex (mark with US national control markers)

• I have thought about house rules for atomic weapons.  Do you remember if there was a tech development for the 80’s A&A for atomics?

I always thought that if the bomber survives, then they roll 2-4 d-6 depending on how powerful you want your atomic bomb to be and the number rolled are the amount of casualties the defender chooses to take.  It’s sort of like a super shore bombardment.

I like your Idea about having it do damage to factories and IPC’s, that’s not a bad idea and also historically somewhat accurate.  Although the little boy bomb was intended to murder civilians and destroy Hiroshima, the Nagasaki bomb airbursted a few miles between two aircraft factories if I am not mistaken on my history, so therefore somewhat strategic.

Perhaps the defender should be allowed to save some of their units (I would think infantry, mech infantry only) by building a bomb shelter and rolling to see if they can get anybody in there in time, maybe a 50/50 chance (which would improve if you have radar {hoping that tech will be incorporated again in the global game like it was in AA50})  There isn’t any way to protect aircraft from an atom bomb, nor heavy equipment like tanks or artillery, at least not quickly and without any warning of whats about to hit.

Question?  How would you do a naval atomic attack, Bikini Atoll style?

• With only 2 bombs, id prefer to limit it to only strategic attacks
    They were a wonder (terror) weapon that wasnt going to be wasted on a few destroyers, they were for removing cities from the map for YEARS, yes, with an ‘s’ at the end

Id also limit it to 2 because japan only gets 6 Kamakaze, and any more bombs would just get out of hand

• Wouldn’t you have to purchase the bombs, and perhaps have a couple of technologies (heavy bombers, long range aircraft) before you could use them?

• Sounds like a house rule

• In the old MB edition of the game, I’d always equated ‘Heavy Bombers’ as nukes.

Definitely a house rule, though. You could, alternately, work it as an alternate victory objective. The Allies could work towards it somehow, and the Japanese could thwart it through IPC capture. It probably won’t have the feel you’re going for though…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m