• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I know we always ask this question but, how long does each turn represent? I thought on theatre level games it was 3 months or so. The reason I ask is if US attacks on turn 3, isn’t that well before Pearl Harbor? Or did I mess up my math…

• If the first three turns are from the middle of 1940 too the end of 1941 then each turn is six months. Perhaps after the full war starts you can say time slows down too 3 or 4 months since things get down faster in wartime.

• I know AAE will start in May 1940, after Holland is captured, but before France is captured. If AAP also starts in May 1940 (because is will be combined as a global game) and the US enters war at the end of turn 3 it must be 6 months per turn!

Some games last for over 20 turns, so I don’t know if this is correct….

• @Variable:

I know we always ask this question but, how long does each turn represent? I thought on theatre level games it was 3 months or so. The reason I ask is if US attacks on turn 3, isn’t that well before Pearl Harbor? Or did I mess up my math…

It’s an abstraction.  A turn can not and does not reflect any actual measure of time, just as the map doesn’t have much bearing on actual scale.  It doesn’t take 6 months to a year to cross the pacific, just like it doesn’t take the same amount of time to go from Washington DC to LA as it does to get from Italy to Czech.  It can be implied that two rounds might possibly amount to a year, but it’s still an abstraction applied after the fact to comply with the amount of time the war actually lasted.

As far as US3 is concerned, imagine what would happen if Japan had no timetable to work against for more than 3 turns.  China would be completely crushed and they’d have more than enough time to position against the UK/Anzac with no fear of any sort of retribution as they wouldn’t attack until they were ready (as the US couldn’t actually do anything besides stack unless japan provoked them by attacking the UK), and I know that as japan, if the US wasn’t coming in until round 5 or 6 or whatever I’d do my best to make sure the UK had to make the first move.

The setup is supposed to loosely symbolize actual arms power and position in 1940 and from there time and actual position diverges rapidly.  It’s not a historical reinactment.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m