• What about Russia? It like USA existed before Perl Harbor. Why no Russia in Pacific?

• Russian industry is much further west, on the Europe map. All that exists on the Pacific map is undeveloped, rather low value territory.  Russia also has no capital. If in the game it would only serve to slow down the Japanese. But what would it be slowing them down from? There’s no Moscow for them to reach, thus they wouldn’t attack in the first place unless already winning (much like attacking Mongolia). The easiest way to handle this is to just make them “off limits”. There is little point in having a purely defensive power that’s guarding nothing in the game.

However the spaces are there so that when you play Global the Russians are ready to go with everything all nicely marked. There’ll be instructions for setting up Russia that includes the pieces to be put in the far east, and in Global when there is a Moscow to protect having them there makes a lot more sense.

• Yeah, I found this disappointing too.

I mean, Mongolia gets units (potentially), but the USSR doesn’t?

Given the repeated border skirmishes between the Russians and the Japanese forces in Manchuria, you’d think that this aspect of the game would have been represented somehow.

As it stands, we’ll just have to wait until the AA40 Global comes out next year, or produce the inevitable set of house rules for 'em ourselves… I predict that we’ll be able to use the rules for Chinese production of infantry to manufacture USSR units in exactly the same fashion.

All you need to start for the USSR is 3 infantry in Amur, 2 in Siberia, 2 in Soviet Far East, 1 in Saklin, 1 in Buryatia, 1 in Yakut S.S.R., and you’re in business.

Only problem is, I don’t quite get how the new ‘diplomatic’ rules work in this version… presumably, some sort of key conditions would have to be met in order for either party to attack the other, thus breaking their Non-Aggression Pact.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m