Who has bought a Russia naval vessel, what and why?

• If you’ve ever bought a Russia naval vessel, what did you buy, where did you place it and why.  Please include the game scenario used (1941/42, tech, NO’s, etc)

• I got one in med once to kill unattended transports.

• I bought 2 subs in sz16 once (and only once!) so that on the next turn, my 2 subs, 3 fighters, and 2 bombers could toast the Italian navy.

• A usefull buy could be a DD in sz 5 for the 42’scenario (in case of German navy) : Germany can not load any troop during the combat move phase…

But I did not encounter such situation until now.

• I bought a Russian carrier(!) for SZ 5. It was a game winning move, permitting extra British fighters to attack Germany on the UK turn. A most original purchase and one of my favourite A&A memories.

• @rockrobinoff:

I bought a Russian carrier(!) for SZ 5. It was a game winning move, permitting extra British fighters to attack Germany on the UK turn. A most original purchase and one of my favourite A&A memories.

Wow!

Sounds like a great move.

• i didn’t buy this for russia but it was bought against me:

russia was huge (prob making mid 50’s per turn and italy’s fleet was gone), he bought 2 transports, a cruiser and aircraft carrier to take out italy. italy was being bombed to death anyways (only building 2 inf after repairs).

needless to say it was game over…

• Well as Russia one game, I didn’t want to be boring and do the usual things. We were in a game of 41, with tech, NO’s, and no bids. I decided, to harass the Italian navy, that I would buy subs in Caucasus to fight them. I dropped 4, and next turn hit their navy to kill it all, with one sub surviving. By the next round, the starting sub in Karelia was near Gibraltar and I had 2 more in Caucasus, finished off what Italy bought, rendering Italy useless the rest of the game, just buying infantry and ground forces to defend Germany.

Since then, it has constantly been a tactic employed by whichever of my friends and I that are playing Russia in our games. Italy has learned to buy destroyers. (Which is a real pain for them on their first turn, since they need to defend that destroyer by keeping navy together, halting advance of capturing their NO’s)

• @bigopfer:

Well as Russia one game, I didn’t want to be boring and do the usual things. We were in a game of 41, with tech, NO’s, and no bids. I decided, to harass the Italian navy, that I would buy subs in Caucasus to fight them. I dropped 4, and next turn hit their navy to kill it all, with one sub surviving. By the next round, the starting sub in Karelia was near Gibraltar and I had 2 more in Caucasus, finished off what Italy bought, rendering Italy useless the rest of the game, just buying infantry and ground forces to defend Germany.

Since then, it has constantly been a tactic employed by whichever of my friends and I that are playing Russia in our games. Italy has learned to buy destroyers. (Which is a real pain for them on their first turn, since they need to defend that destroyer by keeping navy together, halting advance of capturing their NO’s)

Wow!

I am not sure how Russia can afford to buy 4 subs in 1941 instead of (at the minimum) 5 to 8 ground units.  It seems to me that Germany is definitely NOT getting after Russia fast enough in your game (at least in the initial rounds).

• @axis_roll:

@bigopfer:

Well as Russia one game, I didn’t want to be boring and do the usual things. We were in a game of 41, with tech, NO’s, and no bids. I decided, to harass the Italian navy, that I would buy subs in Caucasus to fight them. I dropped 4, and next turn hit their navy to kill it all, with one sub surviving. By the next round, the starting sub in Karelia was near Gibraltar and I had 2 more in Caucasus, finished off what Italy bought, rendering Italy useless the rest of the game, just buying infantry and ground forces to defend Germany.

Wow!

I am not sure how Russia can afford to buy 4 subs in 1941 instead of (at the minimum) 5 to 8 ground units.  It seems to me that Germany is definitely NOT getting after Russia fast enough in your game (at least in the initial rounds).

It usually involves a heavy defensive withdrawl into russia/caucasus, abandon karelia on R1

• OUCH for Russia!

I guess balling up and waiting for help might be effective, but there are better Allied objectives than having Russia killing the Med Fleet, IMHO.

If I were axis, I would counter with an IC for Bulgaria by Germany.  Germany could then build any DD’s the Italian navy needs with all the extra cash Germany will have once it owns almost all of eastern Europe theatre.

• Bought a carrier on my way down, going scorched earth.

Carrier went to SZ4, and 2 fighters landed on it immediately.
    I was evacuating Moscow and heading to Karelia (my Helm’s Deep!) and I had a ton of money from the allies getting the big 10 NO (considering Russia was about to fall - 23 is a lot of money).

Oh, and Russia had 9 damage, and I wanted to keep it that way for the Germans or Japs.
    So I had a lot of money, and 2 production capacity.  Buy 4 repair (Karelia) 1 armor, 1 CV.

Russian army retreated to Belorussia, on the way to Karelia.  Unfortunately, game did not last long enough for Russians to engage Axis outside of Russia.  Leaving them in Russia and buying a couple of units would have only resulted in total destruction (Jap heavy bombing paratroopers coming from the East)

The carrier would have helped a lot for future Allied invasions.  But I had to fold when Japan got LRA in the next turn (round 6).  Yep, long range, heavy bombing paratroopers for Japan.  Hard to last long against that.  (J player had been buying bombers steadily since getting paras early)

I think 12 IPC cost bombers that can be long range, heavy bombing and carrying infantry all at the same time is this game’s version of the Classic 3 dice heavy bombers.  A little over the top.

• @gamerman01:

Bought a carrier on my way down, going scorched earth.

Carrier went to SZ4, and 2 fighters landed on it immediately.
    I was evacuating Moscow and heading to Karelia (my Helm’s Deep!) and I had a ton of money from the allies getting the big 10 NO (considering Russia was about to fall - 23 is a lot of money).

Oh, and Russia had 9 damage, and I wanted to keep it that way for the Germans or Japs.
    So I had a lot of money, and 2 production capacity.  Buy 4 repair (Karelia) 1 armor, 1 CV.

Russian army retreated to Belorussia, on the way to Karelia.  Unfortunately, game did not last long enough for Russians to engage Axis outside of Russia.  Leaving them in Russia and buying a couple of units would have only resulted in total destruction (Jap heavy bombing paratroopers coming from the East)

The carrier would have helped a lot for future Allied invasions.  But I had to fold when Japan got LRA in the next turn (round 6).  Yep, long range, heavy bombing paratroopers for Japan.  Hard to last long against that.  (J player had been buying bombers steadily since getting paras early)

That’s great story, and one that makes a lot of sense.  Another way to ‘waste’ russian money if you are abandoning your capital with some Russian units left (and you don’t have access to an IC to build navy to support the continuing allied effort) is to buy some tech researchers.  You may end up getting some weapon that could be helpful.  Better to buy 3 researchers than buying 5 inf that will get easily destoryed.

@gamerman01:

I think 12 IPC cost bombers that can be long range, heavy bombing and carrying infantry all at the same time is this game’s version of the Classic 3 dice heavy bombers.  A little over the top.

Yes, that sounds like a deadly combination.  How many rounds (tries) did that take?
    I wonder what the odds of getting that would be?

• @axis_roll:

@gamerman01:

Yes, that sounds like a deadly combination.  How many rounds (tries) did that take?

Off topic, and I don’t know what the odds are, but I’ve seen Long Range, Paratrooping, Heavy Bombers many (at least 8+) times in AA50, and yes, they are killer.  :evil:

• @axis_roll:

Japan got Paratroopers at turn 3 for 10ipc, HB turn 5 after 5 more rolls, super subs turn 6 for 15 more ipc, and LRA at turn 7 here again for 15ipc. Really lucky (game had moved to KGF, so Japan had a lot of money to invest in tech and bombers).

But it was a tech game : UK got HB and paratroopers in two successives turns, both for 5 ipc, US also had HB, and Germany got War Bonds… after 14 rolls :lol:

At the end of J7, there was 11 Japan bombers on the map :-o

• Yep, I was playing Yoshi.

I know the trifecta is fairly common in AA50, but you didn’t read what round it was, Bardoly.  Not that common after only 7 rounds.

Yoshi, the point isn’t how much tech you got.  I wasn’t calling you lucky.  I was merely explaining my evacuation from Russia.  My heavy bombers were irrelevant.  :lol:

And my carrier buy was much better than wasting it on 3 tokens, IMO.  It probably would have proved useful in future rounds, if J didn’t get the game ending LRA.

• @gamerman01:

And my carrier buy was much better than wasting it on 3 tokens, IMO.  It probably would have proved useful in future rounds, if J didn’t get the game ending LRA.

I liked your idea.  I did qualify my suggestion of tech:

@axis_roll:

you are abandoning your capital with some Russian units left (and you don’t have access to an IC to build navy to support the continuing allied effort)…

• Ah, yes, then tech would be the answer (to avoid repairing the complex for the invaders)

• Four times I have bought 1-2 subs all in the Med

1. For kicks An r1 2 sub purchas to see what would happen (Answer, bad things)

2. An experimental UK Aussie IC thing bought 1 sub r1 to send to a linked pacific fleet, used baltic sub in pacific as well (the strat didn’t work at all)

The other two times) Just two situations where it was obvious I could take out the Italian fleeet due to carless Italian/Jap play (he split the fleet, forgetting about russia I think), this worked and help win the game once, the other time I was losing too bad anyway for it to matter

• I have never bought Russian naval units in any game, and I can’t recall that I have ever seen it either. Imo, it’s difficult enough to win games against decent players w/o deliberately trying to lose. Better to resign then… :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m