If you have AA-50th Aniversary- can you modify it to be this future AA 1940

• Hi I am new to the boards, my group of friends has acquired AA50.
    We are now wondering about AA1940 as placing 200$ into the hands of publishers is somethign to think about.

I can pre order both Pacific and Europe an save some $.
    But since we have AA50 we want to know how feasible is a variant…

Both 1940’s add things, but some of them can be replicated with buying some units/ unsing others…

Is any one else planning on modifying AA50???

• I think the new maps will have new territories. Welcome to the forum. I’ll give you your first positive karma.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Welcome to the board andrey,

The short answer is no. The board(s) will look quite different with many new territories as well as new rules, game pieces and even new countries.

However, you could take a look at the 1940 set up and modify your own board to simply reflect the relative power of each country for that particular year (ie: slap some neutral or British units on France etc.)

That being said, you already have an awesome version of AA. Most consider AA50 to be the pinnacle of Axis and Allies thus far. It is also fairly hard to get your hands on a copy these days.

My advice to you: Play AA50 until you know every strategy, the board is worn-out and your downright bored of it. (My guess is this will take YEARS to accomplish.)

Have fun with your new game and don’t feel like your missing out by not getting the “new edition.” It’s a totally different game. And I’m sure you will have fun with it once you have mastered the Anniversary.

Welcome to the boards and happy gaming!

• Thx for the Karma :).not sure how that works right now

Had a chnace to play aa50 1941 setup as the allies(Russia) and I am impressed.
    The Russians fought hard and never let Axis control more than 3 territories(after initial blow of course). Want the '41 set up slanted to the Axis?? lol

So with that I can agree with the notion that 50th is a pinnacle of AA currently.

I do agree on the AA40 map changes among other things, thats why I will turn to this board to seek out map files( the current large AA50 is beautiful).

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@andreyGTA:

I do agree on the AA40 map changes among other things, thats why I will turn to this board to seek out map files( the current large AA50 is beautiful).

Isn’t it?

I am currently working with some friends to turn it into a playable 3D board with terrain and unit effects. I will let everyone here know when it is all up and finished. The idea is to make it a little like tripple A, which I never actualy got to play before they shut it down.

• Maybe if you bought the original A&A Pacific it would be easier to ‘mod’ to the new rules…

• @Canuck12:

@andreyGTA:

Isn’t it?
    I am currently working with some friends to turn it into a playable 3D board with terrain and unit effects. I will let everyone here know when it is all up and finished. The idea is to make it a little like tripple A, which I never actualy got to play before they shut it down.

You can still download triple A at other sites

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@Brain:

You can still download triple A at other sites

Yeah, I happened to catch a link from somone’s signature. Haven’t had a chance to check it out yet though.

Can you play live online in it? Like over a LAN connection?

• I don’t know. I have only played against the AI which is not much of a challenge.

• I have been toying around with a 50th edition >to> A&A 1940 for a while now
    im not sure how long you have been playing so it would be best to have the game basics down first
    This is still a work in progress however….but Ive played over 10 games with my rules and how my gaming group describes the change is “more theatre oriented” “Feels like pacific and atlantic are two different wars”

This is acomplished by…letting UK build in pacific, and keeping Japan from attacking Russia on turns 1-4

50 to 40.doc

• You can certainly add some elements from AAP40 and AAE40, but unless you do work essentially equivilent to just making a new boardgame then no, you can’t modifiy to be identical.
    What it would take:
    A: Making two new boards that are identical to P40 and E40
    B: Getting units to represent the French, ANZAC and potentially Dutch units as well as Chinese Artillery. If you only own AA50 then US and UK will probably be very strained for unit markers, and potentially other nations as well.
    C: Getting Mechanized Infantry and Tactical Bombers for each power except China
    D: Copying the setup cards

• It would be cheaper just to buy the new game.

• Exactly. And a lot less work. Plus, it would probably be higher quality than whatever could be jury-rigged.

• Regardless, it would be nice if some people would work on a new 1940 setup and ruleset for AA50.

• @runyan99:

Regardless, it would be nice if some people would work on a new 1940 setup and ruleset for AA50.

Okay, I elect you.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m