• '10

I rarely come to this section of the forums as I have never played revised but the activity here seems fairly strong. I was curious to know why people still play revised  with AA50 available by forum.  Also is AA42 better than revised ?  Looking forward ,will those who missed AA50 be anxious to pick up the new AAP/AAE ?

• I have not played AA42 yet so I can not compare the 2. I do still play Revised. Based on my experience with Revised I feel AA42 will prove unbalanced. I do not feel like AA42 was play tested, but merely the AA50 rules were overlayed onto Revised.

I have AA50 and intend to get AAP40 and AAE40 just as soon as they come out like I did with AA50. I have no intention of missing the boat as many did with AA50.

• @a44bigdog:

I have not played AA42 yet so I can not compare the 2. I do still play Revised. Based on my experience with Revised I feel AA42 will prove unbalanced. I do not feel like AA42 was play tested, but merely the AA50 rules were overlayed onto Revised.

As Revised is not balanced in a 1vs1 (experienced players) setting, do you think axis need an even higher bid in AA42? Or maybe allies need a higher bid than $8-9?

I’m not experienced at all with AA42, but every veteran Revised player knows that w/o bids, there’s no “game”, only allied victories.

I only played 2 AA42 games so far, but it does not seem like any side need a higher bid than in Revised.

• I have never played AA42, but there seem to be some changes that would favor the axis.

1.  The UK battleship off Gibraltar is now a cruiser instead, so this frees up at least 1 German fighter on turn 1 to do something else.  Heck, under certain circumstances, it may even be acceptable to skip this battle (say with bad USSR dice on turn one, making a full eastern assault desirable).

2.  New transport casualty rules seem like they would favor the Axis.  UK and USA have to build more protection for their transports.  Japan is affected by this too somewhat, but usually USSR and UK are not in a position to snipe much at Japan’s, so I think Japan is affected less than than the Allies.  Given a full KJF from the USA, of course this would come into play, but I assume KGF is still the more common strategy.

So it seems in theory, the game should not favor Allies as much, but maybe I am missing something, not having played it yet!

Edit:  Just thought of something - the German Med fleet is affected by the transport casualty rule pretty badly too, so who knows!

• I haven’t played the new 42 either but agree with the last post. Something I’ll add is that the British ships in z2 are not safe unless Russia takes out Norway.

@eatenbyagrue:

Edit:  Just thought of something - the German Med fleet is affected by the transport casualty rule pretty badly too, so who knows!

I wonder if Egypt is still a mandatory G1 attack since Germany can take out the British boats in the North Atlantic. If Germany attacks Egypt, then the UK can send a fighter and bomber to sink the med ships and land them both on Trans-Jordan. And for Germany to have a successful attack on Egypt, they need to commit planes. The bomber is in z2, the Ukraine fighter may be dead, I’d like a plane to make sure I win in the z15 naval battle, and should probably attack the cruiser. Maybe the med ships should go west and attack the cruiser supported by planes while taking Gibraltar.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m