• Hello everyone,

I can’t seem to figure out what version of this game is for me.  Growing up I can remember my brother teaching me to play, and really enjoying the game.  But I never got into it too seriously and as the years have flown by it was forgotten.  Now I’m looking at getting back into it.  With the time and friends to make it worthwhile.

…but there are a lot of options out there.  What with 4 versions of the game available (if your willing to look for “classic”) and two more on the horizon?

I see the large price tag on the 50th anniversary edition, and then I hear about people buying 1942 to supplement what’s missing.  That seems like a rip off…?  Do you really get what you pay for with anniversary?

So dedicated warriors of historic battles, what advice can you lend me?

Many thanks, and safe bombings.

• Customizer

I own every version of A&A since MB first published the game (MB Classic, Europe, Pacific, Revised, D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, Guadalcanal, Anniversary, 1942). Is Anniversary worth $100? Yes. $200? not for a newbie, but definitely for an experienced player. If you and your friends are just getting back into A&A again, I would recommend the new 1942. Yes it lacks paper money and a few more chips would be nice, but calling it broken is defiantly not warranted. People on these forms seem to be forgetting that AA42 was not created for those of us playing the anniversary edition. It was made as an introductory game at a bargain price. It does that quite well. In reality it is much better than the 2004 revised edition ever was. The cardboard is thicker, the models are the best produced for A&A so far, even better than Anniversary. Plus it plays much smoother and with more variety in play than revised. Buy it as your standard game, unless you know that your friends are up to the bigger and grander Anniversary Edition.

• Buy the one at target. Its the cheapest. And probably the best (until december) but if you want a decent and enjoyable evening playing a board game. seriously its 30 US dollars I recomend t.

• AA42 is definitely the way to go. Its quick and easy to play, plus easy on the wallet. After that, perhaps pick up AAP40?

• a&a 42 and then g40

• Previous discussions on versions, however these leave out '42 (cheap and it shows,) Anniv (I have a set I’m thinking of selling) and the newest Pacific and Europe variants.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11758.0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11905.0

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m