• I tried this once.

I was playing US and , instead of going VS japan, i created a sufficent fleet to keep the Japs off kicking my ass, and sent all of my units (w/ transport on Western Europe to keep the Russia alive, creating a new front… what do you think about that… is that a good thing?

• Unfortunately, if you don’t put any pressure on Japan, it won’t matter what you do to germany. They will stave off your attacks while Japan will dominate Asia eventually taking Russia backdoor. I mean a couple of transports here and there to put pressure on Germany and divert some of their resources from the eastern front is all good. Just don’t over do it.

• Thats not necessarily true. You can reinforce (from both the US and GB) Russia through Karelia to the point where Japan will not be able to take Russia before the Allies can weaken and destroy Germany. Once Germany is destroyed, the large numbers of inf. will then march east to take the rest of Asia from Japan.

• To expand on what guest said, the US can use its resources more efficiently by concentrating on Germany. Often this allows Russia to play defense against japan while US and UK eventually pound germany into submission.

• As the USA I have a strategy I call the “Japanese Overload”. As soon as possible the brits build a carrier, the USA supplies the fighters, any pacific fleet swings towards the Atlantic, perhaps delaying as it’s really not needed there. Obvioiusly keep an eye on Japanese, they should concetrate a few rounds on the continent…… You start a long supply line to Canada, the USA transports of England pump from Canada to Karelia. The Brits and USA out-build the Germans leaving the Russians to fight the Japs. Since Russian losses are re-built on the Continent rather than many turns away this works well. Overwhelming allied air-power combined with 1-2 allied infantry/round in moscow helps re-take Russian territory, the rest park on Karelia. The Germans must defend against perhaps 10 British infantry with airpower attacking any coastal territory then having 10 more USA infantry with air before the German next turn. The navy acts as a force multiplier… you must defend against this on Western Europe, Eastern Europe AND Germany. Anyways, at some point the Japs over-commit to the continent, maybe building 2 factories. The remaining Pacific fleet swings back, all US builds goto subs maybe a carrier all on the Pacific side. All air power swings to the pacifc. In the meanwhile your built-up supply line runs for 3 rounds in Europe. If it works, the Jap fleet has not been improved, why should it, they own the Pacific and the USA ran away… But now Japan can’t build navy, if they do those factories on the continent are wasted. You can outbuild the Jap navy, push them off Japan it’s just a matter of time…

• Don’t bother with the Pac fleet until the turn before you are sure Germany will fall.

Unless you try the Japan First attack model.

If Japan puts $ to the Pacific it takes away from their Asian attack!
    You want that as it spells Germany’s defeat all the sooner.

• RE: $$ in Pacific taking away from Asia (you mean Europe right?) :-) I agree that if Germany was failing then don’t take your foot of her throat by switching to the Pacific via the “Japanese Overload”. This strategy is used if a hiccup develops in the US supply route AND the opportunity presents itself. In this case the Germans had a small Med. Fleet around T5 (Brit bomber was lost on T1 trying to take out the Med fleet) and had moved it in the SZ south of Gibralter. The Germans still had 5 fighters and a bomber, brits had to hit the fleet (BB + 2 transports and a sub!) and moved their navy to that SZ, the USA had to follow or split the fleet. Not only was 1 complete US transport cycle wasted but was also a waste to drop off 10 transports worth of equipment to Africa to kick out the 4-6 german forces left. Since Japan had just built their second factory in asia it was time to spring the “Japanese Overload”. It’s really a situational gambit more than a strategy one sets out on T1 to follow, besides, it’s constraining to fixate on one stragegy. After the first point of contact between opposing forces…… all strategies go out the window…

BB

I used to tend to want to try a particular gambit

• TO : BigBlocky

Well, i damn like your strategy, wich help those poor russian defend vs japs on asia…

One thing, hope that Germany will not bomber those transports…
    unless you put one unit (trans ie) on the SZ ascendant to Western Europe, wich will be killed… this surely works well…

I will try it next time I’ll play.

• NO< JAPAN’s IPC expendentures in ASIA must go to KILL USSR!
    It’s 2 Axis beating on 1 Ally(USSR) v 3 Allies beating on 1 Axis(Germany!) Odds are with Allies unless
    1)Allies play poorly,
    2)Allies roll poorly,
    3)Axis play excellently, and/or
    4 Axis roll excellently.

Sounds from the example like your opponent needs to try something new. Or maybe you need to give the AI stronger units :wink: .

• Burnout… If the brits build the carrier on T1, ya must move the existing transport, if the Germans have a bomber in W. Europe you are a bit of a bind, build 4 transports. There will be a hiccup as you won’t have equipment but that leaves 4 1s against 1 4 on the bomber attack. A safer bet is england save her money, the transport off canada moves south, the US builds 3 transports making 5 in that SZ bring on that lone German bomber that can’t be replaced in reality.

Xi, I’m not sure what your point is. As for my opponents trying something new. Having 2 transports, a sub and a battleship on Turn 5 for Germany is pretty good for them no? This is the second time you’ve mentioned this and I will agree with you once again. I wish somebody would try something new that works, after well over 100 games in 20 years I don’t see much new at all. To be honest, I feel like an old gun fighter hoping to lose one day… As for the AI… chuckles What AI? Play against the computer? What’s the point, try for victory in 2 rounds instead of 3?

BB

• Suds, if only I could lose…… snickers Yeah, I’d love a game!

BB

• Didja ever read any of MY strategy posts?

Minimally practical, but I always am trying to come up w/ new strategies that work

It’s tough, tho…

Ozone27

• Suds, I actuallly did purchase the CD, still have the box bud damned if I can find the CD, been looking for 6 months…. I haven’t used Kaza yet… snickers I write applications for fortune500 companies but never used Kaza, I am getting old… :-) As soon as I get it we’ll line something up! :-)

Ozone, I’m kinda new here but have been reading pret’near all the new posts. The first thing I did when I got the game was to play each country myself, a complete game. Toss the dice but even out weird rolls… You attack 4 transports and all 4 hit… yeah it happens, but… Best to say just 1 hit or maybe 2. yeah, ya gotta be able to handle that but handle the average case first!

BB

• You can only play checkers(doublejump) so many times before you gotta change the rules or try a new game. :roll:
    Try rules variations or the expansion
    packs that most gming stores carry! :wink:

• What’s with all the eye rolling? Can’t we all just get along man? I’ve actually just gotten into AAP, seems there is little comment on that game. I’ve come to the conclusion the Japs have an easy victory with only 22 VPs, I’ve heard most bids are around the 28 mark. Anybody verify that or….?

BB

• Pardon me!
    I have a lazy eye.
    :roll: :P :wink:

I’ll try to cut downn on my smileys.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m