• Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forums but I’ve been playing Axis and Allies for a while now with friends and stuff. We’ve gotten to a stage where we’ve written down our places on paper to play again later and I’ve gotten into a very desperate state and I don’t know what to do next. I’m Japan. I’m going to write down on this forum all the pieces on the board and the money and stuff and I could use some feedback on what Germany and/or Japan can do to survive or even win the game. Thanks in advance everyone,

UK: 30$ on hand. Getting 29$ per turn (pt)
    Technology: 2nd one
    East Canada: Armor
    West Canada: Infantry
    UK: 2 armor, 2 infantry, 1 fighter, 1 transport, AA & factory.
    Eastern Europe (Russia Owned): 2 bombers, 1 fighter
    Algeria: Nothing
    Libya: Armor, Infantry
    South Africa: 1 Infantry
    Egypt - 2 Infantry, AA + Factory
    Persia - Infantry

Russia: 32$ on hand. 36$ pt
    Eastern Europe: 1 Armor, 2 Infantry, AA
    Ukraine - 5 Infantry
    Karelia - 3 Armor, 2 Infantry, Factory
    Caucause - Infantry
    Russia - 7 Infantry, 1 Tank, AA, Factory
    Kazakh - 2 Infantry
    Novosibirsk - 1 Infantry, AA
    Evenki National Okrug - 5 Infantry, Factory
    Yakut - 1 Infantry

USA: 36$ on hand. 34$ pt
    Western US - 14 Infantry, Carrier, Submarine, Complex, AA
    Eastern US - 2 Infantry, Complex, AA
    Hawaiian Islands - 1 Infantry
    Midway Islands - 1 Infantry, 2 subs, 1 battleship, 5 fighters
    Alaska - 1 Tank

Germany: 15$ on hand. 22$ pt
    Germany - 1 Bomber, 1 Tank, 8 Infantry, Complex, AA
    Southern Europe - 8 Infantry, 1 Tank, Complex, AA
    Western Europe - 7 Infantry, AA

Japan: 34$ on hand. 34$ pt
    Manchuria - 1 Infantry
    Japan - 5 Infantry, 1 fighter, AA, Complex
    Sovier Far East - 3 Infantry
    Kwangtung - 2 Infantry, 1 Transport, 1 Carrier with 2 fighers on it
    French Indo-China - Complex, 2 Infantry, 1 Transport, 1 Carrier w 1 fighter on it
    China - Nothing (but owned)
    Sinkiang - 3 tanks, AA, Complex
    India - 1 Fighter, 1 Tank
    East Indies - owned but nothing on it
    Australia - owned but nothing on it
    Phillipines - 1 Infantry, 2 Battleships, 1 Sub
    Borneo Celebes - 1 Infantry
    New Guinea - owned but nothing on it
    Caroline Islands - owned but nothing on it
    Okinawa - owned but nothing on it
    Wake Island - owned but nothing on it

We take turns in this order: USSR, Germany, UK, Japan, USA

Help? I’ve got no real idea of what I should try to do. I’ve done incredibly well with Japan and I’ve held quite a lot of land and have a great naval supremacy in that area and Germany has been holding on long enough for UK and Russia to spend money on trying to kill it, giving me a chance to try and help Germany live in any way possible. But now USA is a new threat for me. It is Russias turn next.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Spiro Floropoulos

• What a mess! :D
    Russia bought a factory? That’s unheard of. :o

I’ve done incredibly well with Japan

Well…not really. :roll:
    The good news is UK and US cannot really hurt you without any transport (they have a total of 1 from what you wrote :lol: ). So for now you’re only fighting Russia (an unusually powerful Russia) until UK and US wakes up.
    The Axis need infantry, and lots of them.
    Here is what I’ll do (but I’m afraid it’s a lost cause):
    Germany:
    Not much can be done. Use bomber to take out the UK transport (might tip him/her off but do it anyway). Then SBR Russian until it’s lost. Pull back into Germany except 1 INF each on WEu and SEu. Strafe when possible. Otherwise do nothing but SBR until Japan comes to your rescue.
    Japan:
    Turn 1:
    Pull all your navy (except those in FIC) back to Japan sz. Buy 1 transport and the rest INFs per turn until at least 5 transport in Japan sz. Attack Egypt with 2 INFs and navy from FIC and FTR from India. Move 2 Kwangtung and 4 Japan INFs to Man. Move all tanks to China and/or Man if Singkiang is not taken. Move India tank to Kwangtung if it is. Fly Japan FTR to FIC. Put INFs in FIC and Singkiang (if not taken) and the rest in Japan. Need some good dice to take Egypt.
    Turn 2:
    Buy trans/infs. Hit Yakut with everything if it has no AA. Otherwise pull back from SFE except for 1 Inf. Retake India from FIC and/or Ftrs. Retake China/Kwangtung from Man. as needed if not attacking Yakut. Have fun in Africa while you can. Don’t risk Ftrs against AA. Don’t forget to put 2 Infs in Egypt to possibly attack Kazakh and Caucause from Persia. Put the Red Sea navy back to Japan. Park your planes on ACs until they’re needed further inland or on land defence.

With little UK and US help Germany should hold out for a while. Play cautiously with Japan. If Japan survives the US naval attack then there is hope. :D

• Thanks man! I appreciate the help. My German partner has already realized that as long as he can hold off and make Russia and UK spend money on trying to kill him, I stand a chance of regaining the game. I’ve gone step by step through your advice and I definitely think they’re good moves. I’ll let you know how it goes when we finish the game sometime this week. Thanks again!

Spiro Floropoulos

• No problem. Keep us posted. Good luck.

• 1. I should add that it’s important to maintain at least 5 transports in the Japan Sea and don’t build anymore ICs in the mainland.

2. Should have at least 10 INFs each in Persia, SinKiang and Yakut, then you could build tanks in Japan and INFs everywhere else (You need at least 2 to 1 ratio of INFs to tanks to attack Russia, so build some tanks when you can afford them).

3. Put your planes in SinKiang when they’re not needed to defend Japan Sea.

4. If Russia is defending the 4 surrounding territories with light forces (1 or 2 INFs) but have a large force in Russia itself, then capture as many of them as you can using just enough INFs and planes only. DO NOT use your tanks in this case.

5a. If Russia has a large force in Kazakh or Novosibirsk, strafe it (hit for 1 or 2 turns then retreat) with everything from the two adjacent territories (But use just 1 or 2 planes if it has AA. In that case wait for more tanks from Japan. Tanks from Man. can reach Novo or Evenki, so it’s possible to strafe Evenki with these tanks and from Yakut alone, depending on the size of the army in Evenki).

5b. Be careful not to capture the territory if Russia has a large counterattacking force.

5c. Retreat to Persia or Yakut after the strafe as SinKiang will be reinforced by own IC and from FIC. You might also want to land your planes in Yakut or Persia depending on the threat on SinKiang.

6. Hopefully Germany can hold out before you can capture Russia. Hope this helps and keep us posted. Good luck.

• Input overload. :P

Hard drive crashed! :wink:

• Yeah, should’ve put a warning label. :roll:
    Axis is in deep doo-doo.

• They usually are!
    I’d scrap the gme and start a new one. :wink:

• It’s still salvagable (a real long shot). :lol:
    The Allies are not too bright either, with a total only ONE transport. :roll:
    I’m really interested to know how the game turns out. Please keep us posted Guest. :wink:

• Hey everyone,

Well, here’s how the game turned out. The allies won, eventually. My German partner failed miserably and I wish he hadn’t been my partner otherwise I would’ve won the game because I started off dominating with Japan. In any case…

USSR and the UK basically Strategically Bomb Raided whatever was left over of Germany until Germany had no money left during any turn and therefore could not produce enough men to keep up with Russia or Germany. Eventually the UK took Germany and Germany tried to push into Russia with 20 or so infantry as a last resort trying to buy Japan some time. It didn’t work that well though, even though the UK capital and Russia as a whole were MASSIVELY thinned out.

In the meantime, I couldn’t withstand US’s naval attack so I pulled back and instead rushed to focus on the mainland of Asia and in Africa as well. I pulled back all my navy and used my two transports to transport men (with a battleship for amphibious assaults and a carrier with two planes for added support) into Africa which I took over severely fast leaving UK pretty much stuck up in Germany. That also left US spending a LOT of money on naval units thinking I would fight with him on sea, which bought me some time as well. I pushed forward into the mainland while taking Africa and almost converged with the German army just before it failed to take Russia but Russia managed to stamp the flame out with manpower that it recieved from the large amount of money it was making. After Russia started to fight back at Japan and Germany was gone, the US and Russia began to annihilate me from the Asian coast taking over all the factories and building more to try and rush into my HEAVILY packed Japan capital. In the meantime, UK tried to take back Africa, which I decided I didn’t want to fight for anymore so I led UK into Africa under the pretense that I would defend it but as that happened, I also faked a few possible amphibious assaults on open lands that were not guarded but I really was making a b-line for the UK capital since it was open and UK was stupid enough to send all its force into Africa. In the end, we called it a game before I could take the UK capital and the US had taken most of my islands and had left me with very little money and very little options. So I lost.

However, I believe I did very well and I used a main technique that bought me a lot of time and that was to lure the allies into buying units they thought they would need in order to fight me, not realizing that I had a totally different plan so they were spending money on stuff that didn’t really concern them. But like I said, I did dominate the game in the beginning. The US had no Naval units at one point, Russia couldn’t keep up with my production in Asia and had to build two fronts in case Germany and myself charged through, and the UK had really no place to go but to Strategically bomb Germany for the longest time. But Germany failed to fight offensively and therefore I had no support. But still, I’m proud of what I was able to accomplish without a capable partner for this game.

What do you guys think?

• Typical, Germany fails just as Japan is rolling…. I still say the #1 Job of Germany is to stay alive, build mostly infantry yet have some tanks to pose a credible offense. You’ve picked up quick on the concept of ‘mis-direction’, causing your foe to build in areas that end up being useless. Even if you only tie up enemy units (hopefully without tying up alot of your stuff that could be used elsewhere) Enjoy these early games!

BB

• Well you did the best you can. You might want to teach Germany a thing or two if you want to keep him/her as your partner (a big if). Almost taking Russia and UK? :o You should be REALLY proud of that.

• Thanks for the support everyone. I think I’ll have to sit Germany down and give him a strat to follow to the very letter or otherwise play the Axis by myself. And I guess you’re right, almost taking Russia and the UK despite my massive disadvantage is indeed something to be really proud of. It was worth the try and the game was good overall. I’ll keep you guys posted the next time we play another good game worth posting about.

• If he’s gonna be your partner again, see if he’s willing to try a plan. 8)

Or you could trade him like the Allies did Italy.
    On our side for WWI … on your side for WWII. :roll:

• These “scenarios” from you and others provide a nice change from the same old initial setup. Well until next time you’re in a jam then. :wink:

• Next time we’re thinking about incorporating Nuclear weapons on the technology arsenal. It’s 2 dice and BOTH have to be 6 in order to get the technology. Then, in order to nuke any joe blow territory you have to start off by paying 10$. The next nuke (any player) goes up to 30, then 60, and continues in increments of 30 dollars. If you want to nuke a capital then you have to pay an extra 10 bucks on top of the regular price. Once a nuke is placed all the army on that land are gone and anyone passing through that land has to HALVE their army, however, until a person takes over the country, the country remains in its current owners hand. Prices are subject to change as well. But it’s quite a different outlook on the board when you have to concern yourselves with nukes. Then again, my friends and I don’t usually play a normal game of A&A as you’ve seen in this scenario.

Spiro Floropoulos

• Not bad. It certainly is more reasonable than the old A-bomb tech. But I don’t see it having any impact on the game. BTW, I wonder how much did the US spend on developing and building the A-bomb relative to the total war effort.

• Certainly not 30% of their GNP! :wink:

For an A&A variationI you can pick up an expansion set in most specialty gaming stores. I’ve mentioned this a couple of times in the last two days.

• From what I know the total cost of WW 2 for the US of A (in 1996 dollars) was about 3.3 Trillion. The Manahatten project cost about 20 Billion. Makes ya wonder why they didn’t just play a cheap stalemate until they got it, guess nobody knew for sure if it would work….

You’ve mentioned alot of things a couple of times Xi…

Guest, nothing against what you laid out but… In general, simple is good. If you need lots of ‘constraints’ on a new rule it’s probably too much of a change or needs refining. Not saying that this is one of those cases but… I’m a fan of K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Smilee :-)

BB

• Yeah. Most people I get to talk to about A&A don’t want to try it, don’t want to take time to set it up, and/or expect to have a turn every 5 minutes(with 5 people :P imposssible.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m