Some extensively playtested Modified rules to allow China to survive, with some strategic thinking,
yet pose realistic garrison challenges to the Japanese player,
plus how close to get to the unpredictable Communist Chinese.
I think after trying it you will find that China plays more historically.
With all due difference to Funcionetta who some some good ideas - but a Factory in China, not very realistic.
Also, I find it more realistic if the 'Flying Tigers' Fighter (a mixture of USVG and Chinese flying Biplanes or old monoplanes) uses the following modified REALISTIC values:
Atk = 2, Def = 3, Mvt = 3.
[Note: If you set the cost of this type of unit = 8 IPCs,
then old Fighters from the Original MB A&A game make nice LBA (Land Based Air) units using older equipment. I.e. such as found at Singapore or Malta in 1941.
LBA can be modified to regular Fighters - 1 per turn per player, at cost of 3 IPCs, if start turn in Factory of their nationality.
But, that is the topic for a future thread.]
Enjoy! Modify the China rules on page 10 as follows
- Add the following sentence to the end of the 3rd paragraph:
China also collects IPCs for Chinese-controlled territories and starts with 7 IPCs (6 IPCs for 1942 Setup), plus it can build Infantry in any Chinese controlled Chinese territory (Chinghai, Ningxia, Suiyuan, Sikang, Hupeh, Yunnan, Fukien, plus Manchuria, Kiangsu and Formosa) – up to a maximum equal to the IPC value of the territory.
- Delete the 4th paragraph and replace it with the following 2 paragraphs.
1. As long as the ‘Burma Road’ (from India through Burma and Yunnan to Sikang) remains under Allied control the US player may pay 6 IPCs, and roll for delivery of these IPCs, as with the Soviet Union, as Lend-Lease IPCs (kept separately) – if there is a 7th player playing China this is a mandatory donation for the U.S. player. These Lend-Lease IPCs may be used for building U.S.-supplied Artillery units in Sikang, or they may be also be pooled with China specific IPCs to assist in Infantry production. Should the ‘Burma Road’ be closed the US & UK players may airlift these Lend-Lease IPC supplies, at a maximum of 3 per transport (bomber) - 6 per Heavy transport, over the ‘Hump’ (the Himalayas) from India – to where the transport must takeoff from / and land – to Sikang.
2. Communist forces
(represented by Red Soviet Union Infantry from A&A Europe) mobilize at the rate of 1 Communist Infantry per territory, in any Chinese territory (except Formosa) during the Mobilization phase that was free of Nationalist Chinese forces or Axis forces (requires Japan to maintain garrison forces) at the start of China’s turn. Communist Chinese Infantry may attack Axis forces in Chinese territory – controlled on a turn-by-turn basis by U.S. player on Die Roll of 1-4, while on a Die Roll of 5-6 they are controlled by the Russian player and may attack Nationalist Chinese forces at will. Regular Nationalist Chinese forces may NEVER Mobilize in Communist-controlled territories – although they may Mobilize alongside Communist Infantry in non-Axis vacant Chinese territories (such as Chinghai on China Turn 1).
Plus, the Communist Chinese forces start with 1 IPC and may collect IPCs for Communist-controlled Chinese territories without Nationalist Chinese forces – which may then be used towards production of additional Communist Infantry (above the 1 per territory limit).
China NATIONAL OBJECTIVES:
• Fading Sun: Gain 5 IPCs if Allies controls all Chinese starting territories (including Manchuria and Kiangsu), plus, Kwangtung.
• Gain 3 IPCs if Allies control Formosa.
* Modified Chinese Setup
(for both 1941 / 1942 scenarios) *Suiyuan
: 2 Infantry (vs. 1 originally)Hupeh
: 2 Infantry (vs. 1 originally)Fukien
: 1 Infantry (1941 Setup ONLY – for 1942 Setup add territory to Japan’s IPC pool for a total 32 Japan IPCs, plus, add 1 Infantry / 1 Artillery to Japan’s setup for Fukien.)Yunnan
: 3 Infantry (vs. 1 originally),
1 LBA Fighter ((Attack = 2, Defence = 3, Movement = 3, Cost = 8 IPCs) vs. Regular Fighter). Sikang
(now worth 2 IPCs): + 1 Infantry, + 1 Artillery. (Chongquing, in Sikang represents the Nationalist Chinese Koumingtang's base.)*Ningxia
: 2 Infantry (3 with 1942 Setup ONLY)
[This territory boosted forces represents Separate Communist forces – use bright Red Russian Infantry from A&A Europe edition.]Chinghai
(1942 Setup ONLY): 1 Infantry.