• No, we are not getting into politics…yet.

• Each nation is assigned an center that if taken by the enemy will generate income per turn = to D6 roll.

This income is reduced from your IPC total. A similar rule to AAE

so the trick is assign 6 centers

Germany: Romania
    Japan: East Indies
    USA: Brazil or Columbia ( USA is too protected to assign them one)
    UK: Persia
    Soviet Union: Caucasus
    Italy: ?

• @Imperious:

Italy: ?

you could choose Libya and assume that they discovered the oil there and were able to pump it out about 25 years before historically accomplished…?

• wow, there’s like an entire page of “let’s talk…” topics.  nice.

• yes was thinking that…but in AA50 i think it should be the Balkans due to Hitlers long standing concern that the British would be landing here in the war and threaten his oil. Lybia is too easy to capture and take Italy out of the war since they have only 10 IPC

• IL, I understand that your postioning of the oil is also for game play as well as realism, but I would just like to point out Brazil, Yugoslavia and Libya did not produce any oil during world war 2 and that Japan got most of its oil from Manchuria as it had a terrible time of getting the flow of oil from the east indies online. Also, why not give china one, as they produced tons of oil in eastern china.
    If Italy needs an oil territory why not put one in trans-jordan( which includes Iraq) that is more historically accuarte and is not to hard to capture.

For the United States I think it should be put in the Western United States or Mexico , and it should be worth double. This is more accurate and it is possible for Japan to attack there.

And if you like the idea of a double oil area why not make the caucasus double too.

• Yes perhaps Italy does not get one, but take only 2 allies and 2 axis and make 4 centers. The only concern is all 4 must be equally able to be captured and the ideas must be balanced.

• sure, if there are 2 per side, then you could pay the bounty right out of the combined team warchest.

if you want italy to have something that it owns from the start, then libya or balkans are the only choices.  Trans-jordan would be a British one rather than Italian and would be just as difficult for Italy to hold as Libya, let alone take it to start.  At least E Indies was controlled by Japan at some point historically, (though not at the start of the game), the historical determination of what did happen can be set aside by the changes the players make in the game i think well enough to allow EI to be for Japan (though again, not controlled by them from the start).

Brazil’s first production well opened in 1939, but wasn’t going to pump out quite enough to make the cut here, though it would direct play to more of the board and could represent mexico and texas as well without having to take the US mainland (a likely sign the axis don’t need the oil boost to win the game).  In terms of drawing play to the Pacific as similar to drawing it to the south atlantic, this could be a good reason to consider E Indies.
    Iraq’s oil production was ground to a halt in-war to stem the Axis’ interest and new sites were put off through out the middle east for the same reason, which is also why the Brits staged a mini-coup to keep Iraq pro-Allies (Anglo-Iraqi War).  Though they knew there was oil all throughout and could have brought wells on line much earlier had the war not occurred.

• It would be nice to make some viable thing for south America, because this is void of all combat. Venezuela could be a choice as well, but US made most of its oil in WW2.

• Here is what I think

Oil Regions
    Romania
    Caucasus
    Manchuria
    Persia

It is histoically accuarte Italy does not have one and the US is given ann econamy weaker than it accually was so following A&A logic they should not get an oil region either.

• not Manchuria. It has to be Borneo or Indies. Thats were the resources were.

• @Emperor_Taiki:

Oil Regions
    Romania
    Caucasus
    Manchuria
    Persia

being that the E Indies was the fourth leading exporter of Oil at the time, behind the US, Iran and Romania, I think it should be added to the list, in place of Manchuria.  While Japan may have had problems with fully utilizing it, it was there and being pumped, as compared to Libya.

I think Venezuela would be an ideal place as well, by 1945 they were producing over 1 million barrels a day, heck in 1929, they were the #2 exporter in the world, behind only the US and were able rapidly upgrade their production throughout WW2, suppling the Allies.

• Romania
    Caucasus
    Venezuela
    Persia
    East Indies/borneo

you cant have 5 unless you deliberately leave out Italy. Perhaps if they lose Libya, the loss of prestige is a reduction in production akin to D6.

You can also tie her surrender to losing Libya by rolling a one with one die rolled each turn. A one result = surrender?

• i don’t know if it should be looking at it like leaving Italy out, but more like give the Axis 3 targets for oil expansion.  They were the aggressors after all.

• Then i think the Soviets could have 2 oil rich territories. Caucasus and Kazakh SSR ?

• i am pretty sure Kazakh SSR was not producing any oil back then. THe caucusus was the main oil region for the soveits, and it produced a ton, so it should be worth double the other ones.

• I have an old map of 1941 Soviet union showing all these centers with a number of them farther back past the Caspian sea.

• during the war, the Baku region generated about 65% of the oil for the USSR, Grozny had generated the rest, but was on the front lines during the war, so work was shutdown there until after.
    The Volga-Urals and the Kazakhstan regions were developed to fill the void.  This included the areas of Tartarstan, Perm, Samara, Bashkortostan, and Orenburg regions as well as the  Embinsk Region.  There was very little development in other parts of the country until after the war.

• But Kazakh SSR includes some of these areas.

• OIl producers in 1939 = Borneo, Java, East Indies, Venezuela, Columbia, Mexico, usa (texas), Rumania, kazazh SSR, Egypt, Caucasus, Iran, Irak & Saudi Arabia.
    Nothing for china and Italy.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m