• If you had to choose one World War Two leader to lead your nation’s military, who would you name?

• Erich von Manstein

• Erich von Manstein

• Eisenhower, I think he is the prime example of: “Amateurs talk strategy, generals talk logistics”.

As he also became President after the war, he also had an understanding of the politics of war, not just the military aspects of warfare, but also that the wider and deeper context of war is important.

• Anthony McAuliffe

Led the Americans through “The Battle of the Bulge”

“NUTS!”

• don’t call me a nazi, but i would pick Rommel

and Model, but purely on his militairy abling, not his ideology

• Guderian , the fast HEINZ…lol

• My Top 5 list:

America :  G. Patton
    USSR    :  Zhukov
    UK        :  Captain Sir Basil Liddell Hart
    France  : Charles de Gaulle
    Ger.      :  Heinz Guderian

• Grant and Sherman  :wink:  Hey it worked for Lincoln.

Well if it has to be WW2 Era

On European land : Obergruppenführer und General der Waffen-SS Felix Steiner or Oberstgruppenführer und Generaloberst der Waffen-SS Sepp Dietrich

On Sea : Fleet Admiral Bill Halsey

On Pacific Islands: General Tadamichi Kuribayashi

• If the subject were expansed to any military commander throughout history, who would you choose?

• @ABWorsham:

If the subject were expansed to any military commander throughout history, who would you choose?

Pretty obvious… :lol: :-) :-D 8-)

• Sun Tzu

That it is all

• WWII - Either Ike or Goerge C. Marshall

All History - George Washington

• @bbrett3:

Sun Tzu

That it is all

That or Zhuge Liang.  Actually, I’d choose Zhuge because he knew of what Sun taught (and used it on Sun’s descendants) and applied it to everything else he knew.

• Colonel Harland Sanders

• Julius Caesar is my over all choice.  His battle plan at Alesia was bold. He also was a skilled politician. I beleive Caesar may be one of the most underated commanders.

• I don’t think Gaius Julius is underrated, although most people think of him as Dictator and Caesar, not as millitary commander, he have a track record for winning with less soldiers, and this could be b/c roman soldiers was better trained, but he also won against Pompey, and Pompey also had roman soldiers. I think Julius may be overrated as Caesar, but he deserves to “overrated”, due to his great achievements both as General and politician.

• @Jermofoot:

That or Zhuge Liang.  Actually, I’d choose Zhuge because he knew of what Sun taught (and used it on Sun’s descendants) and applied it to everything else he knew.

That’s interesting: some people say that Zhuge Liang’s campaigns on Wei weakened too much Shu and leaded to Shu’s fall. Maybe if Shu saved more force and focused in defense they could hold more against Wei. On the other hand, I think both Sima Yi and Sun Quan handled better their resources (after all, Wu was the last of 3 kingdoms to fall and only fallen to Jin - Sima Yi’s descendants)

I find that similar to Justinian’s dream of recovering Roman Empire: it only wasted Bizantium’s resources to a lost cause, and let they in bad shape to fight against the real threat: Persians and, later, muslims

• @Funcioneta:

@Jermofoot:

That’s interesting: some people say that Zhuge Liang’s campaigns on Wei weakened too much Shu and leaded to Shu’s fall. Maybe if Shu saved more force and focused in defense they could hold more against Wei. On the other hand, I think both Sima Yi and Sun Quan handled better their resources (after all, Wu was the last of 3 kingdoms to fall and only fallen to Jin - Sima Yi’s descendants)

That could very well be.  But Zhuge pacified the south before marching North, and really only saw defeat through running out of supplies.  He created alliances when necessary but also had the keenest tactical sense out of everyone in the Three Kingdoms era.  Even while dead he caused fear in the enemy.  He just didn’t have enough competent officers to finish out the plan of restoring the Han.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m