• Interesting.  It doesn’t appear to be the Anniversary edition, though.  It looks like it’s another version of Revised.  It says in the description that there are five world powers in the game.  Also, it’s only going to be $35.

• Yes, I only looked at the picture, and it is almost the same as on the AA50 box.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/318779

The AAR boardgame picture:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/116478

So I thought it was a re-release of AA50……

I don’t play the boardgames anyway, I prefer the software version.

Why would WOTC just copy the picture on the front of AA50 and make small changes, and then place the picture on the front of the Revised box?

Its also mysteriously strange that it is labeled as available in August 2009  :?

Revised has never gone out of print?

• It mark 1942.  Anniversary have 2 game for 1941 and 1942.

Is maybe only half of anniversary?

• It says 370 playing pieces so it can’t be the AA50.

Seems like if it is OOP you (still) have to dl ILs map, print it, and buy pieces separately.

Still bugged by the front image on the new box of AAR though, it seemed just like AA50.

• @Subotai:

http://previewsworld.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=23&s=134&ai=81067&ssd=

In Norway we call April 1. for aprils fools day.

• Can someone say too soon?  :|
    I hope it is an April Fool’s joke (though it looks too elaborate for that) rather than Wizards trying to suck more milk out of the A&A cash cow.

If it’s just a rerelease of the AAR – meh, I rather play with AA50.

• Well, let’s be honest, we didn’t really need all those pieces anyway.  If they were to take away 100 units and replace them with 50 chips I’d be more than happy.

I’m sure there’s going to be some rules or setup changes to this version of 1942, too, because as it stands under AA50 that scenario is ridiculously difficult for the Axis to win among experienced players (from what I’ve seen).

• Its not AA50. Its 5 players, so it must be another print of revised with modified AA50 box art.

• > This new edition of the classic game of strategic conquest features new units, sculpts, and updated rules.

ok so its got cruisers, Mech infantry, and fixed rules…370 pieces vs 366 for revised.

• My second reaction is “Why?”

Why replace an arguably superior game (AA50) with a watered down version of Revised?  Does that make any sense to you?  Reception for AA50 has been enormous.  Critics love it, devotees of A&A love it (us), people who were normally partial against A&A have started to see the light.  Gaming clubs and tourney leagues, such as A&A.org, have by and large superseded Revised with Anniversary.  So why replace Anniversary?  With a inferior (read: lighter) breed of Revised?  Besides “How to play” lessons, why even bother spending time with Revised?  And all this less than a year of Anniversary being on the market?

If this game does get released, not only am I boycotting Hasbro, but I’m thinking of dropping A&A completely.

I kicking for not having bought 10 copies of Anniversary and scalping them on ebay at exaggerated prices

• @TG:

My second reaction is “Why?”

Why replace an arguably superior game (AA50) with a watered down version of Revised?  Does that make any sense to you?  Reception for AA50 has been enormous.  Critics love it, devotees of A&A love it (us), people who were normally partial against A&A have started to see the light.  Gaming clubs and tourney leagues, such as A&A.org, have by and large superseded Revised with Anniversary.  So why replace Anniversary?  With a inferior (read: lighter) breed of Revised?  Besides “How to play” lessons, why even bother spending time with Revised?  And all this less than a year of Anniversary being on the market?

If this game does get released, not only am I boycotting Hasbro, but I’m thinking of dropping A&A completely.

I kicking for not having bought 10 copies of Anniversary and scalping them on ebay at exaggerated prices

Why do you keep saying this will be a watered down version of revised?  How do you know it will be worse than revised, or anything else about it for that matter?

Personally I think it would be awesome if it was revised with cruisers added in and the AA50 rules… $70 is too much for a boardgame.  $50 is my limit  8-)

(Or hell, just a version of revised with a prettier board and a few extra Japanese tanks!)

Oh and as for why to play Revised… There is no AA50 Enhanced yet  :lol:

I think it’s obvious AA50 is intended to be the “Deluxe” version, not a replacement of the standard.

• http://www.urban-collector.com/axis-allies-1942-edition-apr091630.html

Same game, bigger picture of the front side of the box.

• nothing on BGG ?

• Krieghund has today, at Larrys game design forum, more or less statet that there will come a new revision of Revised, that will be called A&A AH 1942 edition. He is propably one of the playtesters. May admin please make a new sub-forum for threads about this new game.plz.

• What would you name the new board? AA42-2009?

• AA42

• Urban Collector says it is a Ltd Edition.

• @Shakespeare:

Urban Collector says it is a Ltd Edition.

What’s with all these Ltd Edition games???  :-o

• @Rakeman:

Why do you keep saying this will be a watered down version of revised?  How do you know it will be worse than revised, or anything else about it for that matter?

What I meant to say is that this game will be a watered down version of Anniversary.  It’s likely this new game will be equal to or marginally better than Revised.  However, it’s guaranteed to be inferior to Anniversary.  It’s a smaller board, less territories, less pieces, no Italy as a playable fraction, no unique China front, poorer quality presentation, etc.  Really, why give up Anniversary for this junk?

And no, I don’t believe Revised II is mutually compatible with Anniversary.  This isn’t A&A:Europe or A&A:Battle of the Bulge.  Revised II will have to compete for playing time against Anniversary.  How often do you guys play Revised now that you have Anniversary?  Because if you’re going to play a board game with a world at war scope, you might as well play Anniversary, which is a more fleshed out game.

Personally I think it would be awesome if it was revised with cruisers added in and the AA50 rules… $70 is too much for a boardgame.  $50 is my limit

If you’re not willing to shell out $100 for the best board game you’ll ever play, then why go here?  I’m serious.  This board is for people who play AA:50 or intend on doing so.  Saying $50 is too much; why don’t you hang out on the Revised board instead?

Also, how can you have AA:50 rules on a Revised game?  There’s no unique China front, Italy isn’t playable, the NO system will probably have to be drastically revised…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m