• Hello all,

Not sure if this topic should be here or in the “World War II History” section.

My friends are I were trying to figure out who is on the front of the box for AA50.
    We’re not 100% on all of them and were hoping you guys might be able to shed some light.

We’ve got FDR up top with “Bull” Halsey under him.
    Then General Patton? and Field Marshal Kleist.
    Who is the small photo to the left of Kleist?
    Then Admiral Nagumo? and Churchill.
    Is that Mussolini to the far left on the box?
    General MacArthur is on the bottom with the cane.  I know that’s a famous photo to the right of him but I can’t place it.
    Field Marshal Rommel is in the bottom left.

Cheers,

• I understand why, but I think it’s interesting that Hitler has not appeared on any of the A&A boxes.  I think he should be there.  I don’t feel that it would immortalize or sensationalize him.  I think it would be an more accurate (unfortunate, but accurate) depiction of a time in history.

• @I:

I understand why, but I think it’s interesting that Hitler has not appeared on any of the A&A boxes.  I think he should be there.  I don’t feel that it would immortalize or sensationalize him.  I think it would be an more accurate (unfortunate, but accurate) depiction of a time in history.

That would make the game difficult – possibly even illegal – to sell in Germany, which has strict laws against depicting Nazi-related material except in certain contexts such as scholarship.  Note for example that, on the AAAE box cover, the Nazi flag is carefully hidden behind other picture elements, so that you can barely see one edge of the white disc and so that the swastika is completely out of sight.

CWO Marc

• I think it’s Zhukov on the far left. Axis & Allies box art never gave the Russians much credit, so I was happy to see a Russian general for once.

It’s Guderian, not Kleist. Who’s on the immediate left of him?

Also, I don’t like FDR as the main head figure on the box. The original A&A box only had military figures on it, not political ones. Hitler and Stalin deserve to be on there too if FDR and Churchill do.

The box is also too American for me, don’t see any Brits or Italians there (am I wrong?). There are some Russians, but a T-34 or something would’ve been cool IMO. But I guess being an American made game it must play on the heartstrings of people who want to buy it. Plus Americans like to feel like they played the biggest role in that war, when in fact they joined late and paid a very small price in lives compared to practically all other nations. I’m not saying the US didn’t play a major role, they did, but A&A seems a little biased IMO.

On a side note, why is Mussolini the major head figure on Revised? Is he that recognizable that people would be drawn to the box if they saw it on a shelf? Rommel I could see.

• @Merlin:

Then Admiral Nagumo?

I think it’s actually Yamamoto, both in terms of physical resemblance and the number of decorations.  The three-star general above Yamamoto and below Halsey is Omar Bradley.

CWO Marc

• Excellent investigative work Merlin. +1.

Also who are the people to the right of MacArthur?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m