Chrono Trigger finally arrived Europe!

• Yeeeeees!  :-D :lol: 8-) :mrgreen: The best SNES RPG arrived to Europe after a loooong wait. I bought it today!. And only taken 14 years! Talk about delay  :-P

I should also smite anyone who taken the BAD choice of not traslating it to non-english language :-P Man, after 14 years, I guess we can live with a translated Crhono Trigger and with more than 1-2 copies each store  :-P I had to reserve the mine because they sold the only 2 ones they had in 1st place. In some stores they have no more copies after the very 1st day  :-P

But it arrived and I have it! Mwa ha ha ha ha!  :-D Long live to Nintendo DS  :-)

• I think the US version for the DS has been out for a bit, and really…I should get it.  I never finished the game, but I had fun playing it on a SNES about 7-8 years ago.  It’s time to expand my library of DS games anyway, so why not?  8-)

• Watch the animated movies and the intro. They are priceless!

• That sucks, I beat Chrono Trigger every way by the time I was 16–definitely one of the best RPGs of all time.  I haven’t busted it out in about 3-4 years.  Current SNES RPG:  Breath of Fire III.

• Isn’t Chrono Trigger downloadable content from the Wii Market?

• @souL:

That sucks, I beat Chrono Trigger every way by the time I was 16–definitely one of the best RPGs of all time.  I haven’t busted it out in about 3-4 years.  Current SNES RPG:  Breath of Fire III.

The DS version has an extra dungeon or something…and some cutscenes I think.  So there is a little extra content.  I was thinking these rereleases on the DS are hokey, but they are all great ports and probably work better on the handheld.  That little gadget is worth the money.

@TG:

Isn’t Chrono Trigger downloadable content from the Wii Market?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.  Just wish Xbox live did more stuff like this.  Their options of past game is maybe 2 dozen xbox games, and a handful of ports (although one being the great Castlevania: Symphony of the Night).

• mmm…That was a good rpg.  I don’t think I ever finished it, I’m pretty sure I remember getting to the final battle and getting slaughtered.

If only they would consider doing the same with some old Sega RPGs.  Shining Force I and II were incredible.  I was hooked on them.  I almost bought a Saturn just to play Shining Force 3.

• @bongaroo:

If only they would consider doing the same with some old Sega RPGs.  Shining Force I and II were incredible.  I was hooked on them.  I almost bought a Saturn just to play Shining Force 3.

Loved those games.  You do have some options though.

1. Emulators - I used to use Kgen a long time ago and had both shining force 1 & 2 playing on it.
    2. Sega Smash Pack (google it) for PC has the first Shining Force on the second volume.  I could have sworn it had both, one on each volume, but I’m apparently wrong.  It also has some other great sega games.

And I lament Shining Force 3.  It was a great game (still have it and my Saturn), but they never released the 2nd and 3rd volume so you never really “finished” the game.

• the favorite r.p.g. that i have played was ’ way of the samurai 2 ’ i am not sure if that is the correct name, lot’s of sword play and monsters to fight,
    the archfiend at the end was named ’ nobunaga ’ lot’s of combo’s to unlock,
    not to the scale of mortal kombat, although i needed all those combo’s, and special weapon’s at the end to defeat
    ’ nobunaga ’
    i still have final fantasy VII for the PS1, i must have over a hundred hour’s clocked up on that game, at this stage it is quite hard to follow where the story is leading, there is 1 character that i can not defeat and until that character is defeated they story is at a standstill,
    i used to spend hour’s playing the collectible card game, i had almost the full deck, and most of the super power card’s

• @Jermofoot:

1. Emulators - I used to use Kgen a long time ago and had both shining force 1 & 2 playing on it.

Yep, it’s a good way of play. You can also finally get the Light of Hope or other in-battle items only available to japanese version. Stupid conversions  :|

@Jermofoot:

1. Sega Smash Pack (google it) for PC has the first Shining Force on the second volume.  I could have sworn it had both, one on each volume, but I’m apparently wrong.  It also has some other great sega games.

I didn’t know that one, but Spain is third world for strategic or RPG videogames  :-P

@Jermofoot:

And I lament Shining Force 3.  It was a great game (still have it and my Saturn), but they never released the 2nd and 3rd volume so you never really “finished” the game.

Eeeeh! I purchased 2nd and 3rd disc in 2002 (the japanese version, of course) and it rocks! Has some very hard battles and I love the 2nd disc. Of course, I still have my Saturn  :wink: They even released one special edition disc with new bosses, but only for Japan, a limited edition and you needed purchase proof for the 3 japanese discs (and I couldn’t get one because I had the european version and it was too late anyway when I discovered this  :oops: )
    The 3 discs make a super long and supergood RPG. Sega got they deserved for not releasing many great Saturn games in Occident (they didn’t release Dungeons & Dragons Fortress of Doom by some dark and hidden reason). Now they must develop games for DS and such. Ha!

And I beaten the DS version. The new dungeons are nice, but they make Lavos too easy  :-D

• @d142:

the favorite r.p.g. that i have played was ’ way of the samurai 2 ’ i am not sure if that is the correct name, lot’s of sword play and monsters to fight,
    not to the scale of mortal kombat, although i needed all those combo’s, and special weapon’s at the end to defeat
    ’ nobunaga ’

I played the 1st one…I’d call it more action than anything.  Pretty cool but I remember it being glitchy or the controls being spotty so it lost my interest pretty quickly.

i still have final fantasy VII for the PS1, i must have over a hundred hour’s clocked up on that game, at this stage it is quite hard to follow where the story is leading, there is 1 character that i can not defeat and until that character is defeated they story is at a standstill,

I’ve still got it and would love to play it again.  I beat it with 50+ hours and didn’t even do everything.  I still haven’t finished FF12 though, and I have at least that many hours in it and probably not even half way done.  It’d be a chore to pick up again.  I can’t imagine what boss you are having trouble with in that game with that much time in it.  Did you never finish it?

@Funcioneta:

Yep, it’s a good way of play. You can also finally get the Light of Hope or other in-battle items only available to japanese version. Stupid conversions  :|

I guess I will have to try and find an emulator for Shining Force 3.  I’d love to finish it but that’s been years since I’ve played it.

[quoteI didn’t know that one, but Spain is third world for strategic or RPG videogames  :-P[/quote]

Well, I just noticed another option the other day for Xbox 360 - Another sega pack that includes Shining Force 1 and the other games in the Smash Pack, plus MANY more games.

• If you find an emulator that will let me run Shining Force 3, please let me know!  Even if you only find one for SF 1 and 2 I’d like to hear about it.

:D

• @Jermofoot:

@d142:

the favorite r.p.g. that i have played was ’ way of the samurai 2 ’ i am not sure if that is the correct name, lot’s of sword play and monsters to fight,
    ’ nobunaga ’

I played the 1st one…I’d call it more action than anything.  Pretty cool but I remember it being glitchy or the controls being spotty so it lost my interest pretty quickly.

I’ve still got it and would love to play it again.  I beat it with 50+ hours and didn’t even do everything.  I still haven’t finished FF12 though, and I have at least that many hours in it and probably not even half way done.  It’d be a chore to pick up again.  I can’t imagine what boss you are having trouble with in that game with that much time in it.  Did you never finish it?

i got to around halfway through the third disc,
    it has been a while since i palyed FFVII, i no longer have the ps1, and the memory card could be lost,
    i have the ps2, and i may still load the game and give it a go,

i spent at least half the play time playing the card game, the boss that i had trouble with is somewhere after the shuttle crash, in a series of tunnel’s and stairs, it could be the witch, or a giant green monster, i challenged the boss a number of times, 10 - 15 or more, and got the snot beaten out of me each time,

the name of the other game, that i miscalled is onimusha 2, it had great action and weapons, ’ nobunaga ’ was hard to defeat, well worth it at the end, a soft ending to a game is less rewarding, ’ nobunaga ’ morphed into a huge head with crazy white hair and a pale aquamarine face that sometimes changed to red and purple, and i was throwing shuriken
    stars, and magic at it, the battle against the final boss ’ nobunaga ’ went on for around 15 - 20 minute’s,

i could never get to grip’s with the medal of honor series, although i played all the levels, i had to get the codes to unlock all the levels, i could blame the camera angles, i was never a fan of the first person shooter

• @bongaroo:

If you find an emulator that will let me run Shining Force 3, please let me know!  Even if you only find one for SF 1 and 2 I’d like to hear about it.

:D

I don’t think the TOS here would allow me to post links to anything, but a simple Google search will help you…it’s almost too easy.  :lol:

@d142:

i got to around halfway through the third disc,
    it has been a while since i palyed FFVII, i no longer have the ps1, and the memory card could be lost,
    i have the ps2, and i may still load the game and give it a go,

i spent at least half the play time playing the card game, the boss that i had trouble with is somewhere after the shuttle crash, in a series of tunnel’s and stairs, it could be the witch, or a giant green monster, i challenged the boss a number of times, 10 - 15 or more, and got the snot beaten out of me each time,

That really sounds like number 8 when you say witch and card game.  But it’s been a while…

the name of the other game, that i miscalled is onimusha 2, it had great action and weapons, ’ nobunaga ’ was hard to defeat, well worth it at the end, a soft ending to a game is less rewarding, ’ nobunaga ’ morphed into a huge head with crazy white hair and a pale aquamarine face that sometimes changed to red and purple, and i was throwing shuriken
    stars, and magic at it, the battle against the final boss ’ nobunaga ’ went on for around 15 - 20 minute’s,

Pretty good series.  There’s a few strategy games with Nobunaga if that’s more your style.

i could never get to grip’s with the medal of honor series, although i played all the levels, i had to get the codes to unlock all the levels, i could blame the camera angles, i was never a fan of the first person shooter

FPS are my forte…although I haven’t played a Medal of Honor game in some time.  I felt Call of Duty surpassed their quality on its first release.

• i have checked out the nobunaga strategy game series, it has a number of titles to its catalogue, which suggests to me that it is of a high gameplay standard,

i have played the japanese feudal war game ’ kessen ’ which was a big disappointment, i bought the game one day, and completed it within 3 hours, there was very little to do, except watch the cgi, and move cavalry from there to there,
    i completed the game without losing a battle,

there were large formations that had to be directed to battle, and when a battle was dying, the formations could be re-directed to another battle,

for every 5 - 10 minutes of gameplay there was around 5 -10 commands, i think that the reason i played it to the end was to see if it would get more playable

• as it happen’s, it is in fact FFVIII, i searched for the game today, i also found a copy of command and conquer, which i had a lot of fun playing around 10 years ago

• @d142:

i have checked out the nobunaga strategy game series, it has a number of titles to its catalogue, which suggests to me that it is of a high gameplay standard,

Well, if it’s Koei, who makes games I do enjoy, it will have a bazillion sequels.  But they will be fun.

i have played the japanese feudal war game ’ kessen ’ which was a big disappointment, i bought the game one day, and completed it within 3 hours, there was very little to do, except watch the cgi, and move cavalry from there to there,
    i completed the game without losing a battle,

I have played all 3 and like 1 a little better than 3, with 2 being weird and not feeling much like a game.  I’m assuming you played the first where there is little to do.  I really enjoy that one for it’s simplicity, historical representation, and character looks.  You can beat it in 3 hours for sure, but to see every battle you have to play it multiple times (including losing a battle here or there). The third is about Nobunaga is way more action oriented.  It’s like Koei took Dynasty Warriors and Kessen and merged them together.

there were large formations that had to be directed to battle, and when a battle was dying, the formations could be re-directed to another battle,

for every 5 - 10 minutes of gameplay there was around 5 -10 commands, i think that the reason i played it to the end was to see if it would get more playable

Sadly, that’s about it…but you might want to try the other 2 for something different.

• I still have my Chrono Trigger, instruction manual, AND original box… I hear good things about their value.

as for Koei:  Gemfire anyone?

• You could probably get a good price for the original cartridge.

I just picked up the DS version.  Pretty classic.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m