• Probably a question to ask Krieghund to answer, but alright, so I’m new to AAP, and trying to understand the rules and basic strategies for the game and when it comes to SBR I understand the HOW (of it working), but not the WHY (it was decided to be that way):

Why is it that one side can bomb any particular Production Center and destroy their entire income.  For example, say Japan takes Hawaii (one of those terrible no-no’s).  The US then proceeds to build bombers and turn it into the next Atlantis.  How on earth could it be believable that they could lose all the income garnered from every other piece of property that Japan controls?  It doesn’t make sense logically that destroyed Hawaiian production capability could cripple Japanese homeland production.  Seems more like a way to keep more production centers out of Japan’s hands.

and if that’s it, ok, but what is it?
    Is it a throwback to Classic; something that had to be done in order to give the Allies a chance to win or something else?

Sure, making a house rule for it would be easy enough, but I’m wondering more the reason why we have it.  what’s it supposed to represent?

• Official Q&A

SBRs against all ICs were unlimited in Classic (1984), and that didn’t change in Europe (1999) or Pacific (2001).  It wasn’t until Revised (2004) was published that any kind of limits on SBR damage were introduced.

I agree that it doesn’t make any sense that an IC with limited production should allow unlimited SBR exposure.  Many people, including myself, have played with house rules for many years that limited SBR damage to such ICs.

So, when Pacific was being developed, I’m guessing that little or no thought was given to the impact of SBR damage limits on game balance.  Those rules were probably simply inherited from the previous games and taken for granted.

It might be interesting to see what the impact of limiting SBR damage would be.  However, I can only assume that it would benefit Japan most, and Japan already has the advantage in the game.  You would certainly want to limit only ICs with limited production, as limiting damage to “home” ICs would curtail the US’s ability to reduce Japanese VPs through SBRs.

I’m afraid that’s the best answer that I can give you, since I wasn’t involved in A&A in any official capacity back in those days.

• @Krieghund:

SBRs against all ICs were unlimited in Classic (1984), and that didn’t change in Europe (1999) or Pacific (2001).  It wasn’t until Revised (2004) was published that any kind of limits on SBR damage were introduced.

I remember playing Classic with them, but I didn’t realize that it was that way in AAE too…

It is what it is I guess, and that’s alright.
    You’re right though, house rules are easy enough to do, and all, but I’ve only played AAP once now and am guessing you are right it will only help Japan.  Maybe have to try the anniversary SBR idea of damaging build ability too…

Thanks Krieghund.  I appreciate the info.
    luc

• Or maybe like revised make it damage per bomber…?

Though in either case I think taking Hawaii is always a no no right?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m