Hehe - Very very funny Allied victory… I thought it was all over until...

• Situation: Allied forces are nearly wiped off the map.

Turn around breaking point in war: My opponent makes hte mistake of sending his entire italian fleet to the coast of Caucasus to invade (a smart move, but he didn’t see the two unguarded transports in the red sea).

Come UK’s turn, Italy and Balkans are taken by the UK, with Russia successfully reinforcing the Balkans with tanks, its one starting fighter, and like 3 infantry, disabling Germany’s ability to take Italy back. UK pumps out 6 tanks each turn in Italy. End result, Germany gets wiped out by a Russian/UK Joint invasion. United States which is basically defending California from the Japs, manages to rebuild its fleet and airforce due to that big horde of Russian infantry reinforcing China and hitting Japan from behind, followed shortly by a new and freshly rebuilt Navy from the UK containing 6 artillery and 6 infantry. Having an opponent surrender is fun. :D

What crazy victories have any of you ever had? Have any of you ever been ont he brink of losing, only for a strategic opportunity to present itself? I’d like to hear crazy A and A stories :).

• Italy did not own either Egypt or Trans-Jordan?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

My crazziest was when Italy had all of Africa, India, the Middle East and both German and Japanese attacks on Russia failed, but Italy attacked iwth 1 Infantry (vs 1 fighter defending) and won.

Not sure what the odds of 1 Infantry attacking 1 fighter defending are, but they cannot be good!

• @critmonster:

Italy did not own either Egypt or Trans-Jordan?

If they were helping the Germans by taking the Caucasus, that’s not unusual at all.  I’ve had a couple games where, even when the Axis was winning, the Italians and Germans couldn’t break out into Africa.

• @Cmdr:

My crazziest was when Italy had all of Africa, India, the Middle East and both German and Japanese attacks on Russia failed, but Italy attacked iwth 1 Infantry (vs 1 fighter defending) and won.

Not sure what the odds of 1 Infantry attacking 1 fighter defending are, but they cannot be good!

For first turn:
    5,6% (5,5555555555) its 1/6th that the Inf hits+ 2/6 the Fighter does not hit

+1,5% (no hit turn 1 + inf wins turn 2)

+0,4% (no hit turn 1+2 + inf wins turn 3)

+0,1% (no hit turn 1+2+3 + inf wins turn 4)

• …. (forget it)

total is 7,6% or roughly a 1 in 13 chance of happening…

• @Richter:

total is 7,6% or roughly a 1 in 13 chance of happening…

You’re righter than you think: it is exactly 1 in 13.

Maths:
    both hit: 1/64/6=4/36
    ftr hits: 5/6
    4/6=20/36
    inf hits: 1/62/6=2/36
    both miss: 5/6
    2/6=10/36 => 10 times out of 36, the battle will continue without any change, so the chances in this case equal the outcome chances => We discard those 10/36, resulting in chances being reduced to x/26
    =>
    both hit: 4/26
    ftr hits: 20/26
    inf hits: 2/26 = 1/13.

• Playing '41, and I was Axis not doing very well. Germany was holding on with Italian back up.
    Germany took Brazil building an industry unit, then in two rounds with new transporters sneeked into West Indies and held off Panama Canel in time for my Jap’s Navy with alot of transporters invading and keeping Alaska came around and took San Fran, then Washington through Panama canel, which then killed US in the game, then it was eventualy all over.
    Japs was very strong invading UK, then Germany was home sailing with what they had with the backup with Japan in Europe, then China wasn’t strong enough to end the game.

It was interesting.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yea, as I said, the odds can’t be good. :P

Frood agrees with 7.4% chance of surviving the battle.  22.84% chance of killing the last defending fighter.  In case anyone wonders.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=13247.new#new

That game is pretty evil too.

England fell to a sucker punch Operation Sea Lion in round 6.  It’s round 13 and Germany’s reeling, Japan’s navy less (and after doing poorly with LRA bombers and fighters, almost air force less now too.)  Russia’s all over China liberating it while holding the Germans back.

Say the strongest Axis is Italy, the strongest Ally is America.  But which is stronger Italy or America is a toss up. (Italy’s strong because it has a relatively strong army in a useful position and it’s territories are mostly unconquerable at this time.)

• So if Russia was able to put 3 men and all its tanks in the balkans, that means Russia was knocking on the doorstep of Germany doesnt it? Sounds like you were about to win.

• 1942 Senario/Allies

Russia was at it’s end. Against Germany it was at equal strength, but it wouldn’t survive a following attack against Japan. Both Germany and Japan were industrial bombing Russia to the ground. I could only afford 2-3 men a turn. UK was strong in India(14 tanks, 3 men) but no match against Japans forces in Burma(12 tanks, 4 men, 7-8 ftrs). Japan was two turns away from Russia. He had WELL over 20 tanks in Chinas last country…USA was building up for an HUGE invansion of Europe, but would it be too late? Thats when i made my decision. I moved all my 14 tanks from india into Caucasus. I used that with the combination of Russian forces to destroy the German army. All they were left with was 10 men in France and 20 men, a couple of art in Germany, and a second wave in Poland…about 6 men 4 tanks and 4 ftrs…Two turns later I took France and Germany with UK. On USA’s next move I took Italy. I owned Europe, BUT Japan had broken through and had double the pieces Russia had. He took Russia, but it was too late. He insisted to keep playing. I was like dude, i own two of your capitals. USA was slowly taking Asia back and all his money. All that was left on the board were tanks. Im talking about 60-70 tanks combined. lol…He finally gave up. He had me beat and I won! ! ! His mistake was taking all his ftrs out of the German Stack and making it easy for UK to beat him. Then he moved his 2nd wave into east poland which allowed Russia to attack it with all my tanks. He didnt think i would give up Russia to take Italy and Germany.

• @sala33:

Playing '41, and I was Axis not doing very well. Germany was holding on with Italian back up.
    Germany took Brazil building an industry unit, then in two rounds with new transporters sneeked into West Indies and held off Panama Canel in time for my Jap’s Navy with alot of transporters invading and keeping Alaska came around and took San Fran, then Washington through Panama canel, which then killed US in the game, then it was eventualy all over.
    Japs was very strong invading UK, then Germany was home sailing with what they had with the backup with Japan in Europe, then China wasn’t strong enough to end the game.

It was interesting.

WoW. How could he give you USA like that? Why didnt he just build a stack of men

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m