• specifically, what should the tranny be used for on T1 north of germany, i see it has a few possibilties: 1) Used as fodder to protect the valuable German fighters, 2) if the possibility exists to transport 2 inf for an attack on Karelia if that door is unlikely left open, 3) hold it back and then use it to transport inf. either to finland norway (bad idea in my opinion) from finland norway to the mainland area or to Africa. It can help to establish a stronger african front since finalnd norway will fall eventaully anyways.

i find it upsetting that it is virtually impossible to maintain a Northern fleet with Germany. The Tirpitz was deployed there and throughout the war that route was necessary to ensure that Germany recieved valuable ore from Sweden. Ah well … let me know what you guys do, I have a big game coming up against my friend and i beat him alot, hes gettting better so I want to figure out something new to throw at him.

thnx in advance,
    Kevin

• i usually use it as cannon fodder for the planes in the north sea attack, but i’m sure the more experienced players have better strategies. once i had this CRAZY idea w/ russian navy that i’ve never heard anyone talk about. on the first turn i put 2 men from karelia on the transport and invaded morroco. it’s a 2 on 1 infantry battle there, so it’s pretty close. theres also the chance that the german sub kills your sub, so then you have to retreat w/ the men to england. it also takes 2 men away from karelia, but i usually don’t find that as a problem beacuse i still have 17 men there at the end of the turn(4 from russia, 4 from caucasus, and buying 8 more ) along w/ the 2 fighters and tanks.

• The only use I have ever seen was using the tranny as fodder. It has often been a deciding peice for Germany keeping a fighter when attacking the north sea on T1. And if you don’t use it that way it just becomes an easy target for the British fighters. Although you bring up a good idea for a variant. Since the Tribitz did cause major concern for the allies and forced them to divert resources to deal with it. I may try putting a battleship in the Baltic sea sometime.

• i’ve seen amphibious assualts on karelia on german turn 1, but it almost never works, plus you lose the cannon fodder

• I usually see the U.S.S.R. attack the German fleet (such as it is) in the North Sea on their first turn with the sub and transport they have. Usually when the Russian sub hits the German player takes the transport as his casualty, then the Russian loses his transport then the two subes keep rolling until one of them is gone. But no matter who wins the German transport is usually lost.

• thats only when it’s not RR

• i kind of like using it to toss a couple of inf onto algeria
    it blocks any warship at the Azores islands for at least a turn, and forces the uk to spread its forces around a bit.

• I like CC’s way of using it…. together with the Med Tranny you can beef up your african forces quickly and effectively.

• how can you get the transport from the baltic to algeria? wasn’t the british navy in the north sea?

• or are you just talking about some other trasport and i just misunderstood you (ur talkin about the german transport in balitc, right?)

• Well, by now i hope you’ve taken out the N. Atlantic fleet with your subs, a couple of fighters and a bomber by now . . . .
    It’s a legal move - you are merely reinforcing a held territory during your non-combat move. Admittedly if you’ve lost in the N. Atlantic, you will likely lose the game, and rather than transporting units from Finland to Algeria, they likely will go to Germany instead . . . .

• i’m so stupid, i was thinking that you were moving them during your combat move for some reason (i have no idea why) and somehow i thought you got them thru the north sea. maybe i thought this b/c i never have the transport left after combat move, b/c it always dies in the north sea battle as cannon fodder. do you just attack the north sea then w/out the transport? i usually take it in beacuse i REALLY don’t like taking the chance of losing a german fighter on turn1 in the north sea battle.

• @StrongBad1988:

once i had this CRAZY idea w/ russian navy that i’ve never heard anyone talk about. on the first turn i put 2 men from karelia on the transport and invaded morroco. it’s a 2 on 1 infantry battle there, so it’s pretty close. theres also the chance that the german sub kills your sub, so then you have to retreat w/ the men to england.

I’m not sure, but I think you need a BB to support TRN cause the combination of seabattle (german sub) and amphibious assault is just a ruleexeption for supporting BB, not any other supporting units.

I asked for this in another Topic about amphibious assault rules but none respondet

• I have used this technique of taking 1 tank out of Finland and brining it to Africa in the non combat move. This assumes you cleared the british out of the sea zone and you attacked in Africa. Your transport is essentially dead next turn by allied aircraft.

• the problem with this is that if you did that, you would almost certainly lose a fighter in the naval battle, b/c you dont have the tranny for cannon fodder

• That is the beauty of the game. Is the additional 2 inf in Africa worth the added risk of losing a fighter because the transport was not available as cannon fodder? Maybe, maybe not. What if you don’t lose the fighter and get the inf to africa :D . What if you lose a fighter in the process :-? Depends on what the other players do and what happens with the dice, you have to play with an overall stategy in mind but recognize that many different scenarios can develop.

• i’d rather take men from southern europe to africa than taking men from norway, and then use the transport as fodder, b/c i just really like fighters. they’re so valuable, they’re like flying tanks that rock on defense. i wouldn’t risk losing one for 2 men in africa that i could just bring down from italy

• @KPwatkin:

specifically, what should the tranny be used for on T1 north of germany

I’m not complete familiar with all this lingo. What’s a tranny? I’ve seen it been used quite a bit and unsure exactly to what it is.

• a transport

• As I mentioned before, in San Francisco, the term “tranny” means something a little bit different… :o

But I digress…

If the TR survives USSRs attack T1 (or if Russia was Restricted) then you do have a number of options, but mostly I’ve found them to be dead ends…

You could use the TR to transport 1 ARM FINLAND/NORWAY->ALGERIA. I’ve done this before & been fabulously lucky in keeping the TR to join the Med fleet T2, but usually this just puts an extra ARM in ALGERIA & you lose the TR. This has worked for me & I think is a good move since the ARM in F/N otherwise serves very little purpose in the game.

You could reinforce F/N w/ troops from Germany, WE or EE. Helps keep F/N a little longer & threatens USSR with an additional reserve force in F/N until they or UK reduce it. But this conversely weakens EE and traps forces in an essentially indefensible territory. Fun, but not practical…

You could attack Karelia w/ additional troops from WE or Germany T1. If you’re nuts enough to try attacking Karelia T1, then you might as well throw these guys in & go for broke. Will make the game shorter, but otherwise forget it…

You could evacuate 2 INF from F/N to EE for additional defense. The theory here is simple: EE is defensible, F/N is not. You might as well move a couple more guys to EE & prepare for some land-trading. This is an unglamorous, but I think a practical, move. You’re not gonna leave that FTR in F/N, right??? :wink:

Using the TR for cannon-fodder in the North Sea attack is the most boring, but in the end, probably the most practical move. You’re going to lose the fleet anyway–might as well go out with a bang…

I think the whole way F/N is incorporated into the game rings false and is dumb. Looking at the board it makes no sense for Germany (before the game has started) to have taken F/N in the 1st place. I’ve considered trying to implement a “canal rule” similar to the Suez canal between F/N & and WE, but this seems to create more problems for Germany than it solves. In the basic game, adding a BB in the Baltic SZ would be more historically realistic, but in game terms, waaaay overkill…

Ozone27

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m