• Does it take one movement point for a ship to move through the canal to the different numbered SZ?  There is no line so is this just considered one large sea zone?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

They are two different sea zones. (Hence why they have different numbers on the map.)  Therefore it would take one movement to get from the west side of Panama to the East just like from the North Side of the Suez to the South Side.

• This too was my reasoning, but my opponent thought different.  I couldn’t find this addressed anywhere in the rule book.  Are you 100% with your answer, it makes sense to me but again there is no line

• Official Q&A

Yes, she’s right.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Back in the old days, it was common practice to use a rule that both sides of the Panama Canal were the same sea zone if you owned Panama.  But it was always an optional rule that people used (like giving the Axis super powers (Jets and Super Subs)) and never a hard and fast rule.

Your opponent may be working under that premise.  However, even if s/he is, (if it’s a she, let her continue, I hate being the only woman in North America who plays this game!) it’s still wrong.  Canals are short cuts you can use if you own both sides, but they are still different sea zones on either side.

• I plan to groom my daughter into playing this game. Wish me luck! Maybe there will be 2 females… You will have to wait a while though, she is only 1 now.

• My girl friend plays as well. I just can’t get her to play online.

• In the 2nd edition rules you must own both land territories to pass thru the suez canal. There really should be a tiny line on your map. This is not an optional rule. Land units may of course move across the canal without transports. This is do to the size of the canal and actually follows the real thing. The canal is very tiny even today, so it was imperative in world war 2 to hold both sides for safe passage. If the axis owns one side and the allirs the other, no one goes thru. And movement thru is considered one movement point.

• @Swantalon:

In the 2nd edition rules you must own both land territories to pass thru the suez canal. There really should be a tiny line on your map. This is not an optional rule. Land units may of course move across the canal without transports. This is do to the size of the canal and actually follows the real thing. The canal is very tiny even today, so it was imperative in world war 2 to hold both sides for safe passage. If the axis owns one side and the allirs the other, no one goes thru. And movement thru is considered one movement point.

Welcome to the forum, Swantalon!

What are you referring to?
    This is the Anniversary Edition subforum.  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m