Too many units left over; not enough on board

• :?Just got game, brand new. (Downloaded and read rules a year ago but different when you get down to playing.) The number of units provided, while in agreement with Page 4 “Game Components” doesn’t seem right. Generally, I have many more than I’ll ever put on the board and reinforcement chart. This is glaringly obvious with Brits: Have twice the tanks needed. US & Brit artillery in abundance. Germans have lots of “left over” artillery, too.  :-o And this stuff would seem to be needed on the board. I can picture both armies running out early. Do the Germans only get three trucks total? Again, I have two “left over.”*

This is a matter of strategy/movement: Germans are stranded before Bastogne.

*Have D-Day and the unit count to exact. No room for error or loss of so much as one.

• Official Q&A

The number of units that come with the game doesn’t match with what’s required.  Fortunately, in most cases you get more than you need, with US Infantry being the only exception.  There are two simple fixes to the shortage of US Infantry.  One is to simply wait until two units are removed from the board to place them on the reinforcement chart.  The other involves two of the lines on the reinforcement charts that have two stacks of US Infantry on them from two different units (82nd Airborne and 101st Airborne on turn 2 western reinforcements, and 26th Infantry and 5th Infantry on turn 5 southern reinforcements).  Simply combine these two stacks on both lines, and the problem is solved. This will have no effect on gameplay, since the combined units come into play at the same time and in the same area.

During the game, each side gets the units that start on and off the board (as indicated on the board and on page 8 of the Operations Manual) plus those indicated on the reinforcement charts.  For example, Germany gets two off-board Trucks to start with, plus those on the reinforcement chart (four, I believe).

If you haven’t already, check out the FAQ for more information on the game.  Let me know if you have more questions.

• :-) Thanks for the quick reply–and on Christmas, no less!  Shortages are no problems–losses provide more. I don’t see where the Germans start with two trucks but it would help and explain why I have two “left over.”

I’m still wondering about the excess, especially of artillery. In fact, on the two page spread (pages 4 & 5), the game is set up to play–at least for the Germans–and extra units abound. Has anyone else noticed this?

The FAQ looks helpful.

• Official Q&A

@General:

I don’t see where the Germans start with two trucks but it would help and explain why I have two “left over.”

On page 8 of the Operations Manual (Game Setup), under “Off-Board Area”, it lists each side’s starting units that start off the board.

@General:

I’m still wondering about the excess, especially of artillery. In fact, on the two page spread (pages 4 & 5), the game is set up to play–at least for the Germans–and extra units abound. Has anyone else noticed this?

I think this is just an incidence of miscommunication between the design and marketing departments.  A lot of the time, the guys taking the pictures and putting together the final rulebook have no idea how to actually play the game.  The extra units were probably just put somewhere that looks nice in the photo.  This is just a guess.  I can’t tell you for sure why the extra units are in the photo, but I can tell you that they aren’t used in the game.

• :-o Looked again at page 8. Are off-board units placed at the beginning of movement or during reinforcement? If in time for movement, they can move–right? If only during reinforcement, can they move? Sounds like trucks can anyway and haul stuff, too.
    :?

• Official Q&A

Units that begin the game off-board don’t actually come into play until the Reinforcement part of the Movement & Reinforcement phase.  Only units that are on the board may move during the Movement part of the phase.

In effect, units that start the game off-board are functionally the same as units that are on turn one of the reinforcement charts.  They enter the game and become useful at the same point in time.  The reason that some units start off-board and some are on turn one of the reinforcement charts is purely for history.  The units that start off-board are “in the area” already at the start of the game, and the turn one reinforcements are coming from outside the area.

• :-o Oh.

(Thanks again.)

• Official Q&A

I should probably clarify this further.  During the Movement part of the Movement and Reinforcement phase, only units that are already on the board may move, and they must use Supplies to do so.  During the Reinforcement part of the Movement and Reinforcement phase, off-board Trucks and Supplies and new reinforcements from the charts may move onto the board, and they don’t need to use Supplies to do so (except for blitzing Tanks).  The only on-board units that may move during Reinforcement are Infantry, Artillery and Supplies that were ear-marked for transportation (by paying Supplies, in the case of Infantry and Artillery) by off-board and reinforcement Trucks.

The movement rules are pretty much the same in both parts of the phase.  The biggest difference is that on-board combat units must use Supplies to move.  It’s that record-keeping that’s the real reason for the separation of the two parts of the phase.

Does this help?

• Quite helpful. But now answer this(!):  :? Must one have loaded up the newly units onto truck(s) the previous turn? That is, must one place them on an edge hex during the reinforcement phase and right then and there load them onto a truck (that has to be there then, too) for movement on the truck the next turn’s movement phase(?).  :cry:

• Official Q&A

No.  Reinforcement units can be loaded onto off-board Trucks and transported onto the board during the Reinforcement part of the phase.  Units that are already on the board can also be picked up by these Trucks along the way.  This movement follows the same rules as moving units that are already on the board during the Movement part of the phase.  See the very last question in the FAQ for more information on how this works.

• Looks like I missed all the fun.  :-)

• Official Q&A

Probably not all of it, Frimmel.  I’m sure General Retreat will have more questions that you can help with!  This game does have a bit more of a learning curve than your typical A&A game.

• :-D And here come a couple already! Trucks not in enemy ZOC can move offboard to bring up reinforcements and supplies. What about trucks that are in an enemy ZOC?  :? Can they move anywhere onboard (over roads not in enemy ZOCs, of course)? The FAQ explains, “It is important to note, however, that a Truck moving out of an enemy zone of control can only be moved to an adjoining hex that is linked by road. A Truck, beginning its movement in an enemy zone of control may load units that are in that hex.” So you move the truck to an adjacent hex via road (the only way trucks move) and take off and go anywhere in the bakcfield roads reach? Do trucks ever need to spend supply tokes to move?

:-o Attacks. Must all attacks be declared and irretrievably paid for? I can see that one should. I’m thinking specifically of attacks from two (or more hexes) on one enemy. The first attack may do it all but if it doesn’t, you’ll want another. When one attack kills/forces back all combat units, there is nothing for the next hex to attack. Can you call it off and take back that token?

Hey, thanks for all the help so far!!  :wink:

• Official Q&A

@General:

:-D And here come a couple already! Trucks not in enemy ZOC can move offboard to bring up reinforcements and supplies. What about trucks that are in an enemy ZOC?  :? Can they move anywhere onboard (over roads not in enemy ZOCs, of course)? The FAQ explains, “It is important to note, however, that a Truck moving out of an enemy zone of control can only be moved to an adjoining hex that is linked by road. A Truck, beginning its movement in an enemy zone of control may load units that are in that hex.” So you move the truck to an adjacent hex via road (the only way trucks move) and take off and go anywhere in the bakcfield roads reach?

Any unit must end its move when it enters or leaves an enemy zone of control.  So, if a Truck begins its move in an enemy zone of control, it can only move one hex.

@General:

Do trucks ever need to spend supply tokes to move?

No.

@General:

:-o Attacks. Must all attacks be declared and irretrievably paid for? I can see that one should. I’m thinking specifically of attacks from two (or more hexes) on one enemy. The first attack may do it all but if it doesn’t, you’ll want another. When one attack kills/forces back all combat units, there is nothing for the next hex to attack. Can you call it off and take back that token?

Attacks are initiated and paid for one hex at a time.  If the enemy forces are wiped out by one attack, you will know that before you need to decide whether or where to attack with forces in the next hex.

• :roll: And while I have your attention … Rules and FAQ talk about off-board trucks bringing supply tokens with them. What about supply tokens for which there are no more off-board trucks–the trucks have filled up on other stuff (infantry, arty, supply tokens). Are these supply tokens stuck off-board until an upcoming turn when a truck may have room? Or can they be deposited on a valid board-edge reiniforcement hex much like combat units?

Hope this question makes sense.  :-D

And wow! This just came up in a game: A hex has just a truck and supply hexes. Can the other side attack it? Sure, he’d prefer to comandeer them, but it’s just a single infantry who won’t exist by the movement phase. So he might as well try to destroy one of them.  :?

And here’s another: when those trucks return to the off-board area, can they take something with them? If there are three supply tokens and an arty, can the truck take those off-board to be brought back on immediately, if desired?

The rules are vague about truck capacity. I understand it to be six units: two arty items. Or could a truck haul six artillery?

• Official Q&A

@General:

:roll: And while I have your attention … Rules and FAQ talk about off-board trucks bringing supply tokens with them. What about supply tokens for which there are no more off-board trucks–the trucks have filled up on other stuff (infantry, arty, supply tokens). Are these supply tokens stuck off-board until an upcoming turn when a truck may have room? Or can they be deposited on a valid board-edge reiniforcement hex much like combat units?

Hope this question makes sense.  :-D

Supplies can only move by Truck, so they’ll have to wait until a Truck’s available.

@General:

And wow! This just came up in a game: A hex has just a truck and supply hexes. Can the other side attack it? Sure, he’d prefer to comandeer them, but it’s just a single infantry who won’t exist by the movement phase. So he might as well try to destroy one of them.  :?

Yes.

• So the supplies are stuck off-board.  :-o

And by the way, thanks!  :wink:

• @General:

And here’s another: when those trucks return to the off-board area, can they take something with them? If there are three supply tokens and an arty, can the truck take those off-board to be brought back on immediately, if desired?

Once units are on the board they are on the board except for trucks and aircraft. You can’t pick up truckable units and take them back to the reinforcement chart. Likewise tanks can’t move off board on their own.

The rules are vague about truck capacity. I understand it to be six units: two arty items. Or could a truck haul six artillery?

Per page 11 of the rulebook there is no restriction on how many artillery a truck can handle. Any combo of supplies, infantry and artillery not greater than six.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m