• I’m sure there’s been countless threads on this but the newest one I found was in April, and I didn’t want to go around resurrecting old threads. Now that that’s out of the way, I’m a new player to A&A (Only months worth of casual play) I have a few questions concerning Russia 1.

I usually go with the 8 inf buy and place in Karelia at the end of the turn, now assuming I don’t attack manchuria, the Ukraine or Norway/Finland during my combat move. And move all available in units in range to Karelia, including those in Russia, during my Non-combat movement phase. What’s keeping him from blitzing with the fair amount of armor to take Russia out from under me. Now, yes I could leave a single infantry roadblock in the Caucuses, but whats stopping him from using an armor or Fighter from with a small infantry support of 1 to 2 from taking out that roadblock then using some of germany’s starting armor to blitz to russia. Other than the fact that it detracts units from his attacking Karelia (which I don’t see stopping him) what is it? that he should fear loosing tanks on the following defensive round, wouldn’t he still cut my production out from under me on that turn?

In short I suppose the question is how to stop an aggressive German player from folding up the russian front early in the game, he tends to throw everything at Karelia he can during Ger1, even if it means he ignores the opportunity to undercut the UK navy with his Luftwaffe. Assume he is going attacking Karelia with all available units on his Turn, plus maybe trying to blitz the Russia province out from under me, what’s my best move in this case?

• You take eastern europe your first turn, leave caucus as is, move units from russia into karelia at the end. Units into EU = 3 inf, 1 armor, 1 fighter from karelia……2 armor, 1 fighter from russia. That will get you EU for that round. Germany will take it back but it will stall their massive assault on russia a few rounds. This helps out america and UK get into the thick of things a bit better. All you buy every single round is inf, until germany starts to break down then you buy armor. Move your trans and sub into UK waters your first round and leave them, they are useless.

This is the way i play so just suggestions and what ive said works every time. Russia always gets hurt i just delay it a bit. If you leave the Ukraine alone he will not hit caucus or karelia his go around or the next round. Keep after EU if he doesnt take enough in to defend it. That blocks his path.

Another bit of advice for UK or your friend playing is to try and take Western europe on UK’s first go. armor from EC, 2 inf from UK, 2 fighters and a bomber, with a battleship shot. That leaves germany weak and again less stress on russia when they have to deal with UK after the first round.

Ok hope i helped a bit

• “What’s keeping him from blitzing with the fair amount of armor to take Russia out from under me. Now, yes I could leave a single infantry roadblock in the Caucuses, but whats stopping him from using an armor or Fighter from with a small infantry support of 1 to 2 from taking out that roadblock then using some of germany’s starting armor to blitz to russia.”

Are you asking why Germany wouldn’t blitz through Caucauses to Russia after taking out the 1-infantry roadblock there?  If that is your concern, then they CANNOT.  All combat movement must take place at the same time, before any battles.  After the lone infantry in Caucuses is defeated, Germany would not be allowed to move tanks into Russia during that turn, because only NON-combat movement is allowed after battles take place.  The only units that could reach Russia during the combat phase would be aircraft, which cannot capture a territory without any land units.

• Another way to go is to invade Norway with everything you’ve got its an easy win, then on non-com move 2inf to Karelia and dump your fighters in moscow.  Place 3inf and 3arm in moscow as your purchases and wait for germany to invade Karelia which he will if he wants to win.  R2 counter attack with everything you’ve got, its risky but if done well and with UK’s support with reinforcements for defense Germany will be on the run from that moment on.  Why waste days building stacks of infantry and hope for “two’s” to win the day when the idea should be to attack, attack, attack.  If anything your constant attacks will force Germany to focus more on you and less on UK, which then leaves the UK to invade WE or EU if things go as planned.

Think of it this way, do you want to react to Germany’s moves or do you want him to react to your’s!  What is the worst that can happen…you lose  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m