• I have an impossible wish-list
    It’s impossible because they are things that are either very difficult to implement (for a board game) or because they would change the game so dramatically that it couldn’t be called AA anymore

but here it goes:

1. There should be FOG (Fog Of War: you can’t see all the enemy units, just what is on the territories on your borders)

2. The Game turns should be WE-GO instead of I-GO-U-GO

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

On the first, I’ve done that.  On the second, it might be over powered.  Have to play test it.

The first really works best IRL because you need multiple boards and someone with no life to go make sure they are correct.

We had some rules like Fighters could be assigned to scout missions and thus, they could fly 2 spaces out and return seeing everything along their path (and being shot at by AA Guns).  Submarines could go out and back on scout to find enemy units (you know, like doing their other main job?)

Turn Order was:

Collect Income (We did this first, you only collected for what you successfully defended over the turn.  Stopped trading dead.)
    Send Scouts
    Combat Moves
    Conduct Combat
    Non-Combat Move
    Place New Units
    Buy New Units for Next turn (it is a build order right?  You get the units built between turns.  I don’t care if you don’t have a crystal ball, no one in the game does and this makes it more challenging!)

Should also mention, you run across a destroyer and it could hunt you down negating your intelligence.  Likewise, you get shot down by AA Guns and you stop getting intelligence as well. (Obviously it only affects that unit not the hundreds of others you sent out!)

You automatically got to see any units adjacent to you.  Idea here is that you had pickets and scout infantry out patrolling your borders so you’d kind of have an idea what was immediately facing you.

• The Game turns should be WE-GO instead of I-GO-U-GO

This is AARHE. One of its core concepts.

• @Gallo:

1. The Game turns should be WE-GO instead of I-GO-U-GO

just need to merge the turns rather than one team member after another
    its over powered to let you act after seeing team members combat results

its saves time that you take the turns in parallel/simultaneously
    and also you sleep proportionally less during gameplay

I guess it could be less over powering if you do all Russia, England and American turns simultaneously.  Not USSR, UK, USA, Germany, Japan but USSR & UK & USA then Germany & Japan.

Perhaps Germany/Japan should go first?  That would of course have to stipulate something like no attacking Russia on round 1 otherwise Russia would be so crippled it wouldn’t stand a chance.  But the allies going before Germany would leave Germany so crippled it wouldnt have a chance either.

• @Gallo:

1. The Game turns should be WE-GO instead of I-GO-U-GO

Is this like Diplomacy where all moves are simultaneous? Would be interesting, but it would void the difference values used by attacker-defender.

• @Gallo:

1. There should be FOG (Fog Of War: you can’t see all the enemy units, just what is on the territories on your borders)

World at War by Matrix Games… Brings a level of complexity that you couldn’t have in a board-game, but can have in a computer game.

Axis and Allies is what it is… people’s wish lists are often already existing as other games.

• print out some coloured trays and cup over the units?

• surely you could have each player keep note of their unit placement on a piece of paper? of course, then you’re going to need a ‘game master’ to make sure no one is writing on more units or anything. but at least that way you only need one board

@tin_snips:

surely you could have each player keep note of their unit placement on a piece of paper? of course, then you’re going to need a ‘game master’ to make sure no one is writing on more units or anything. but at least that way you only need one board

Easier to just have two boards in two different rooms and have the administrator walk back and forth, IMHO.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m