• Customizer

Anyone tried this in the new version, i.e. Japan goes for India, Italy captures Africa/Middle east.
    What to do with Germany?  Build up for Sealion against a weakening UK, or does this give USSR too much breathing space?
    Seems to me that adding Italy now makes this a much more viable strategy than before. The idea is that this allows the new Axis to do most damage to the Allies most quickly. 
    Or is the Moscow tank magnet too tempting still…

• Historically, a Sealion strategy has never worked because the UK player could always react to the German build.  And believe me, there is no subterfuge to the German player building transports.

Even at its lowest point UK should still be making 12-15 IPCs a turn, which is more than enough to defend against a home invasion.  To say nothing of the US parking planes in the United Kingdom and occupying the North Atlantic with destroyers.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

So far I’ve found a 100% navy purchase for Germany G1 works splendidly.

6 Submarines
    3 Cruisers

Whatever…

• where you getting this money?

36+36=72 and Germany has 30 something and the NO’s don’t addup to this figure.

That was either OR, not both, IL.

Germany starts with 36 I believe, unless I have a misprint.

• I would surely build the cruisers first…

why you hate destroyers?

you know they are huge in this game. I would buy CA if they were ASW, but DD is the only unit that can allow you to kill enemy subs and thats huge.

8 IPC subs…ill take 4 please.

Destroyers don’t divide evenly into 36 IPC, hun.  hehe.

Besides, I’m not sure 4 destroyers > 6 submarines.  There’s something to be said for the extra ability to sneak around in a submarine and the increased numbers.  Especially once we get AARe:50 going and have CRD!

• yes but you cant quantify subs unless you got destroyers, because when you attack enemy naval that usually involves air units and they cant hit subs w/o destroyers… so you need lots of them, because if you run out:

all the subs hits immediately go preemptive

and planes cant hit them

If your attacked by subs and have no destroyers. you lost alot more and the cruisers cant help you.

Yes.  Not really a problem I have run into so far with Germany however.  The whole point of the submarines is to add to the German fleet’s attack and keep the British and Americans at bay.

The cruisers, on the other hand, are more used to help take and hold Karelia/Scandinavia from the German sea zone, not so much offensive, but defensive.

Idea there is that Italy is pounding Caucasus with her cruisers and Germany is pounding Karelia with her cruisers.  No matter what Russia does, she has units getting pounded unless she builds only in Moscow.

• So far I’ve found a 100% navy purchase for Germany G1 works splendidly.

6 Submarines
    3 Cruisers

Whatever…

I find this to be a very incorrect purchase by the German player.  Why?  Because while naval units are perfectly good units in their own right, they do not accomplish the fundamental aspect of the Axis battle plan: Capturing Territories.  Cruisers and submarines do not win you IPCs, tanks and infantry do.

If I was the Allied player, my simplest answer would be to counter your build.  And as long as we’re trading units, I’ll win because I can replace those units easier.

By going naval you’ve negated UK, but at the risk of losing Eastern Europe.  Which is a trade I’d gladly take if I was the Allies.  The only time a German naval build would work is if you could place UK at an economic disadvantage because of it.  In which case, neutralizing the German navy would require the Allies to take their eyes off of Italy, which would then proceed to take Africa.  However, because Germany is placing naval units in the Baltic Sea, which is nowhere close the Mediterranean, the American player can still quite easily funnel troops into Africa.

In real life, the Germans actually ‘won’ the Battle of the Atlantic because they imposed a much greater economic penalty on the Allies than the costs of maintaining a U-boat fleet.  Unfortunately, A&A does not allow this option.

• I think she was intending on playing a long game by setting up a German naval presence on G1 and then all land after that.

Similar to the buy a CV in Baltic in Revised. Its an insurance policy for keeping the fleet in being a few more turns.

Of course she would be buying Infantry, art and tanks in proper ratios latter.

• I still don’t like it.  The play may faze a novice, but against competent Allied players, I don’t see this gambit working.  The first and foremost strategy of the Anglo-Americans is to distract the Germans from Russia as much as possible.  Here, it looks like you’re doing that job for the Allied player.  The Russians now have time to stack the front.

I base my experience off the original Axis and Allies.  I dunno, maybe there’s a National Objective that rewards the German player by putting cruisers in the water.

• Russia will have a very hard time stacking the front with two of its IC territories being hammered by naval bombardment every turn.

• I am much more worried about 7 extra tanks parked outside of Karelia than 3 cruisers.

• yea me too. threes vs twos and produced in equal quantities. With the NO’s and 1941…unstoppable.

• @a44bigdog:

Russia will have a very hard time stacking the front with two of its IC territories being hammered by naval bombardment every turn.

It is under my immpresion that BB and CA can only Bombard when you are landing troops from a Transport.
    Please do correct me if im wrong.

• correct.  One BB or CA can attack for every land unit that is making an amphib. landing.

ie  2 INF, 1 Art could be supported by 3  BB’s or CA’s in the same sz for the 1st round of combat.

• @jeffdestroyer:

correct.  One BB or CA can attack for every land unit that is making an amphib. landing.

ie  2 INF, 1 Art could be supported by 3  BB’s or CA’s in the same sz for the 1st round of combat.

ut can they Bombard when you are not landing units?

• NO

• '22 '19 '18

I have used a KBF or at least a focus on Britian first strategy to be successful in revised to counter the KGF strat, but have yet to try it on AA50.  How it works is on G1 build naval units enough to destroy the brit navy once.  After that all other german purchases are against Russia.  How the strat works (worked well in revised) is that all axis nations do a run on Brit land, except of course of E/W canada (out of reach and tough to maintain).  The Axis need to take over every bit of UK land, which after turn 3 should be able.  At somepoint during the first three rounds Germany attacks the brit fleet with every piece of naval equipement and plane it has thereby hopefully wiping out the brit navy.  With her navy gone and her lands gone (only bring in 15 IPC) it makes it difficult for Britain to rebuild, unless America diverts attention from a KGF strat to retake all of these brit lands, thereby buying time for the axis to take on Russia.  The remaining IPC that Britian has can be further reduced by German Industrial bombing.

By focusing G1 buys on England it does allow Russia an extra turn to build, but this can be countered later by the fact that Japan, Germany and now Italy can all attack Russia.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m