• Just wondering why Malta doesn’t appear on the mapboard? (Photo on BGG.) This tiny little island was a major thorn in Italy’s toes. (Get it?! Boot! Toes! Har!! Har!!)  It should of been placed on the map. Come on Larry! Oh, well. I have crayons.

• I got it on my phase 2 map in house rules.

• Yes, Malta should have been there but, AA50 should also have been AAE and AAP combined so…you can’t have everything. Anyway even if you did it wouldn’t be a thorn in Italy’s side becasue it would have like one british infantry or fighter on it and the bombardment would instanly kill it with no chance of causalties to Italy because bombardments in AA are super powerfull and can destroy corps of infantry at a time.

• I was thinking about having x1 inf, x1 art, x1 fighter & x1 anti-air based on malta. Also, it would still require italy to invade to take malta or forever have a possible airbase for the uk to utilize for bomber attacks against her fleet. Just a thought.

• The original version of AA called 1942 had malta.

Under what i see i would make it uninvadable, but allow only a max of 2 units to stack. These would most likely be fighters that harass Italian shipping.

• I think the Axis should be able to invade Malta. It was possible. I just don’t like how in AAE it is just way to easy. There is 1 fighter there and Germany has to invade with 1inf and tank or artillery. The plane is just killed by the battleship and the Germans lose nothing 2 out of 3 times before you can even use the fighter.

• If it was invadable, the axis would take it on I1 to deny it being used as a base for Uk fighters. To model how it effected the Italian situation it should be un-assailable or the benefit would never be realized.

If UK was allowed to post a fighter at start, all that would happen is the German forces would wipe out the defending fighter with landing 2 infantry plus planes. If UK got extra pieces on setup, then Germany would have to get some compensation which would upset the set up elsewhere. The result would be extra german pieces and dead UK fighter, which is a net gain for Germany.

I playtested Malta in my map phase 2 and i feel the KISS game theory would just make it not invadable to make it effect the game as small as possible, but allowing some flavor to be added for UK. BTW the same would not apply to Gibraltar.

• What is the KISS game theory? What you could do is make it a fortress. Have 2 inf there and 1 fighter with an AA Gun. Plus all units defend 1 higher. Then the axis could take it but with heavy losses. Plus if they do take it the Allies coming to the Med. anyway and could possible take it back. I think the problem is that AA50 is not a detailed enough simulation to include Malta. I think you need a Med. that has more that 3 spaces.

• What is the KISS game theory?

Keep it simple ******

What you could do is make it a fortress. Have 2 inf there and 1 fighter with an AA Gun.

Yes but then you add a new unit…a fortress which can be built elsewhere? Thats fine for more elaborate rules. I am in favor of this personally). If you add 22 IPC for UK you will need to compensate Germany. Thats will upset the set up because the german player has new units to kill zone the Soviets and probably take Archangel, when the game was not designed to allow this to happen.

Plus all units defend 1 higher. Then the axis could take it but with heavy losses. Plus if they do take it the Allies coming to the Med. anyway and could possible take it back. I think the problem is that AA50 is not a detailed enough simulation to include Malta. I think you need a Med. that has more that 3 spaces.

yes defense modifier would help in longer battles but with 2 units the battle is a couple of rounds.

How would you balance out the extra pieces… you cant just give UK 22 IPC right off the bat right?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m