• Ok i have a few questions about the rules that i need clarified.

1. Can aircraft attack lone subs? Or groups of subs only?  Because if subs can only fire on naval units, isnt it an automatic win for the aircraft?

2. Can you combine an amphibious assault with a regular land-to-land combat?  Me and my brother were playing, me as axis him as allies.  With UK, he had taken Norway with an amphibious assault of 2 infantry 2 tanks.  Next turn, he loads a transport and offloads his amphibious assault on the territory to the right of Norway (forget what it is).  Well since u can normally attack with troops from multiple territories, he makes a combat move from Norway to the same territory that he is attacking with the amphibious assault.  Is that legal? Or must an amhibious assault be solo, without help from adjacent territories?  And if it is legal, can you still conduct Bombardment with Battleships?

3. How many moves can u make with your aircraft to land immediately following an attack? For example, a fighter with a movement of 4.  If i move 3 spaces to attack, do i only have 1 move left to land in another territory? Or if i move 2 to attack, do i only have 2 to land?  What if i move 4 spaces to attack? What then? How many moves can i make to land?

Thanks in advance for helping a newcomer :-D

Also, i am new to these boards, so can someone give me a list of some of the lingo i am seeing on here? Like BB, CV, G1, etc. Stuff like that.

Thanks

• 2007 AAR League

Welcome to this site!  :-)

1. Yes, aircraft can attack lone sub(s). And the subs can’t hit back. However, after enduring one round of combat, any surviving sub(s) may submerge.

2. Yes it is legal to do “both” a regular combat & a amphib assault into a territory. Furthermore, yes any BBs in SZs adjecent to the land area being attack, may bombard.

3. If you move 3 spaces to attack, you have only 1 move left to land.

Here’s a lingo thread!
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=7842.0

• Some clarifications on #2.

If there are no enemy naval units in the seazone the BBs and transports unload from on the amphib the BBs can support with the bombardment shot(s). There is no retreat from an amphib except for air units. So that means in your example the 2 infantry and 2 tanks that came from Norway CANNOT retreat even though they came overland. Any air units participating in such a battle may retreat after at least one round of combat.

• So does that mean with a fighter you cannot move 4 spaces to attack, only 3? Because wouldnt you have no moves left to land?

• Official Q&A

Welcome, quaker_chase!

A fighter may only move four spaces during combat movement if it is fighting in a sea battle and a friendly carrier will be available for it to land on in that sea zone, since it has used all of its movement.  Other than that, it must save at least one movement point for noncombat movement to land (or as many movement points as it needs to get to an eligible landing space).  Air units are not allowed to go on suicide missions.

A further clarification on question 2: A battleship must be in the same sea zone as at least one transport that is unloading troops for the amphibious assault in order to provide bombardment support.  Not just any sea zone adjacent to the assaulted territory will do.

• Hello, I have just played first game with my sons. They have lost for the Axis easily, now they play together having more fun and I have taken some time to find this forum on the internet and ask some questions we need to clarify. They are concerning the submarines.

1. Can a submerged sub attack move than conduct opening fire on enemy ships in the particular sea zone without them having the possibility to fire during the defending units fire step (providing there are no destroyers or submerged subs), since the sub is submerged and hence “not visible” for them?

2. What about a surfaced sub attacked by another sub? A. Has a surfaced sub the possibility to fire back at all, or B. does it also only fire in the step 2 (conduct opening fire), or C. in the step 5 (defending units fire)?

3. Is this repeated in the following cycles of combat? If so, does it mean that subs can sink any ships without the cover of destroyers or subs (providing what is the answer on previous questions)?

4. Can a sub submerge without being attacked?

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Granada!

@Granada:

1. Can a submerged sub attack move than conduct opening fire on enemy ships in the particular sea zone without them having the possibility to fire during the defending units fire step (providing there are no destroyers or submerged subs), since the sub is submerged and hence “not visible” for them?

Submerged subs can’t attack or move.  They remain in the sea zone “invisible” until they surface again.  Submerging is a deep dive and is a defensive mechanism.

@Granada:

2. What about a surfaced sub attacked by another sub? A. Has a surfaced sub the possibility to fire back at all, or B. does it also only fire in the step 2 (conduct opening fire), or C. in the step 5 (defending units fire)?

Subs always fire in step 2, whether attacking or defending.  What differs is when the casualties from sub fire are removed.  If there is no enemy destroyer, the casualties are removed after step 2.  If there is an enemy destroyer, the casualties hang around until after all units have fired.  In either case, a defending sub will still return fire if hit by an attacking sub, since both fire in step 2.

@Granada:

3. Is this repeated in the following cycles of combat? If so, does it mean that subs can sink any ships without the cover of destroyers or subs (providing what is the answer on previous questions)?

All cycles of sea combat work the same way.  If one side has subs and the other has no destroyers, the casualties from sub fire will be removed before they can fire back, but ships that aren’t hit will fire back.

@Granada:

4. Can a sub submerge without being attacked?

No.  Submerging happens at the end of a combat round, so a sub must endure at least one round of fire before submerging.

• Brilliant, logical and brief. Many thanks for the explanation.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m