• 2007 AAR League

2 cvs + 4 ftrs costs 72 ipcs
    9 subs costs 72 ipcs

On defense, what is the better buy?

9 Subs defense value = 18
    9 Subs, hits = 9

2 cvs + 4 ftrs defense value = 24
    2 cvs + 4 ftrs, hit = 6

What is the preferred force to have , on defense? The Subs or the CVs+Ftrs?

It really depends on the threat you are facing.

If you can see that you are just going to be attacked by a bunch of subs than 9 subs will do fine.  But if the attacking force will have air you’ll want something that can shoot back.

I like to always have at least 1 AC (full if needed) and 1 DD in all my fleets.  After that, if you can get away with just subs for fodder than great.

I do like the AC + ftrs in that at least you can use the ftrs on land as well.

I don’t think you’ll want just AC and ftrs, but assuming you have some ftrs already on the board, nothing can really touch spending only 16 ipc and then landing your two ftrs to automatically have 3 units with 11 def.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Not really a “great” scenario if you ask me.

The submarines could attack the carriers, sink them, then submerge and watch the enemy fighters fall into the ocean without risk.  Depending on the circumstances of where and when you attack.

But more realistically, when are you going to see this pop up?  Also, why would you attack with the carriers?  Just send the fighters in, get two hits and retreat now it’s 7 submarines vs 2 carriers, 4 fighters.

• 2007 AAR League

@Cmdr:

Not really a “great” scenario if you ask me.

The submarines could attack the carriers, sink them, then submerge and watch the enemy fighters fall into the ocean without risk.  Depending on the circumstances of where and when you attack.

But more realistically, when are you going to see this pop up?  Also, why would you attack with the carriers?  Just send the fighters in, get two hits and retreat now it’s 7 submarines vs 2 carriers, 4 fighters.

Oh no, it was not a question of 9 subs attacking 2 CVs, 4 ftrs.
    My questions was, what is the better defensive buy. 9subs or 2 cvs 4 ftrs.
    Of course it depends, but I suppose what DM says goes:

First get 1 DD 1 CV 2 ftrs in your battlegroup.
    After that, add with subs, as long as the enemy can’t overwhelm your capital ships & ftrs with air. If you can get away with buying subs rather than capital ships - go for it (you get a better offensive capability that way, as a bonus)

• With 72 ipc, I would better buy 3 subs, 1 destroyer, 1 carrier and 2 fighters.

22 defense, 7 hits, and defend well versus subs or fighters (only subs give no defense against air, only carriers and fighters are sunk by some subs). I think it’s a good trade off between the two solutions given here

But it also depend of what I already have (for instance, a fleet need at least one transport), the fleet you are fighting and so on…

• Another thought would be about which is going to be easier to replace for you country.  Subs are great fodder and replacing them is easier on the pocketbook than FIG’s or CV’s, and especially if you are Japan.  US can afford to usually replace that kind of loss, but most other countries can’t.

For 72 IPC’s, I’d go with a mix like ones mentioned earlier, with DD’s, CV’s (+FIG) & SS’s.  If split over a couple rounds, maybe SS/DD first in case of early strike

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m