• 2007 AAR League

Will the physical game pieces change from Revised-> AA50?
    Or will it be possible to use your Revised units In AA50?

I am wondering about both the

• physical model
      and
    • the color of the pieces

On the pictures I see at BGG, it looks like German, Russian, Jap, UK  Inf, Art, Arms, Ftrs and Bmbs look the same.
    Also I think the naval pieces I’ve seen are using the same model as Revised.

As for Colors, I think the same color-scheme has been used for UK, Jap and Russia. But what about Germany? At BGG the German pieces look very dark…? Is that so?

• Hi Perry,

From what I gathered from BGG the only truly new pieces for the game are:

German cruiser (also used by Italians)
    Japanese cruiser
    UK cruiser (also used by Soviets)
    US cruiser
    German figher (Messerschmitt 109 from Bulge game replaces Stuka from AAR)
    UK tank (a Matilda II replacing the Sherman)
    Italian infantry
    Italian tank
    Chinese infantry (the only specific piece for China)

Otherwise the Italians use Japanese art and bmb and German ftr, trs, sub, DD, CV and BB. Most of the discussion has been around the Italians, that people think it’s cheap not to give them more unique pieces. I must say that the look of the game is stunning, and these things are minor to me!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

From what I have seen, the colors always seem to change, if only slightly, from edition to edition and sometimes, from year to year.

But i would presume they are at least close enough that you COULD use the same pieces from one to the other.

• Official Q&A

The German tank is the Panther from Bulge.

The US fighter is the Hellcat from Pacific and Guadalcanal.

• I would say that you could use the pieces, but you might see some color variation in the US, British, and Russian units due to different plastic batches.  The UK cruiser is a County-class, based on the three funnels.  None of the British lights had more than two.  Given the closeness in color, I would bit tempted to use the Russian naval units for the Italians, as making them a bit more unique.  I doubt that Russia is going to build any naval units in the game.  The Italians were and still are excellent warship designers.

• 2007 AAR League

@timerover51:

… but you might see some color variation in the US, British, and Russian units due to different plastic batches.

What? I don’t understand?  :?
    Does AA50 use the color scheme  as AAR, or not?
    Or does the color varies between the individual copies of the game? Somehow I can’t believe that. I’ve interchanged or mixed units between many games of AAR, and i’ve never seen color variation between individual copies of the game??  :?

Confused… :?

/Perry

• Official Q&A

What he’s saying is that there may be variations in the shade of the color from one batch to another, so the pieces may not match exactly.  However, it may also depend on when you bought your game, as colors tend to change over time.

Here’s a picture of some of the pieces from Larry’s demo copy at GenCon.  In order from left to right, they belong to Italy, Germany, Japan, US, UK and USSR.  You can be the judge of what they match.

• @Krieghund:

What he’s saying is that there may be variations in the shade of the color from one batch to another, so the pieces may not match exactly.  However, it may also depend on when you bought your game, as colors tend to change over time.

Here’s a picture of some of the pieces from Larry’s demo copy at GenCon.  In order from left to right, they belong to Italy, Germany, Japan, US, UK and USSR.  You can be the judge of what they match.

Krieghund is correct, I was referring to variations in the exact shade of each color.  Except for the difference in the early sets of A&A Pacific, with the red Japanese pieces, it looks like the pieces will be interchangeable between games.  You will just need to determine if you want to work cruisers into A&A Pacific and Europe, and Italy into Europe.

• The Italian and Sovjet colours are very close, why couldn’t WOTC make Italians light grey ?

To save money ?

• Another undisclosable marketing strategies of the AH? Maybe a plan to conquer the world?  :-D

• 2007 AAR League

@Romulus:

Another undisclosable marketing strategies of the AH? Maybe a plan to conquer the world?  :-D

Nah - just a plan to conquer your money

I just came off the phone with AH marketing director.
    It seems they intend to release the game in October, with Italian and Russian units with the EXACT same color scheme.

They then intend to wait one year, and see all the die-hard A&A-fans buy their pricey product.
    They know that the fans are hooked, and will shell out the dough, despite the color scheme issue.

Late 2009, they release AA51; The 51st Anniversary Edition.
    The only change from AA50, is that this time with the Italians colored light grey……

Then they just sit and watch the fans buying ANOTHER copy of the game… :-D :-D :-D

• 2007 AAR League

@Perry:

DISCLAIMER
    A joke.
    END DISCLAIMER

AH, don’t bother trying to sue me, I’m Swedish, so you can’t press charges against me anyhow  8-)

• Official Q&A

@Perry:

AH, don’t bother trying to sue me, I’m Swedish, so you can’t press charges against me anyhow  8-)

True, but Adlertag may try to invade you!

• @Perry:

@Romulus:

Another undisclosable marketing strategies of the AH? Maybe a plan to conquer the world?  :-D

Nah - just a plan to conquer your money

It seems they intend to release the game in October, with Italian and Russian units with the EXACT same color scheme.

They then intend to wait one year, and see all the die-hard A&A-fans buy their pricey product.
    They know that the fans are hooked, and will shell out the dough, despite the color scheme issue.

Late 2009, they release AA51; The 51st Anniversary Edition.
    The only change from AA50, is that this time with the Italians colored light grey……

Then they just sit and watch the fans buying ANOTHER copy of the game… :-D :-D :-D

I remember when AAR came out, the UK was lime green. They became tan/brown in newer versions.

You could see future prints of AAAv having different country colors.

• My UK units in Revised are three colored… tanks are Lime green, infantry is tan while the remaining units are also tan but slightly lighter in color.

My UK units in Pacific are not tan they are almost pink…

• AA50 better not pull a fast one and recolor the pieces midstream. The British are the ones who seem to always get skunked on color. Milton Bradley Khaki was just perfect, then they went with cream, lime green, pinkish tan, its like Mcdonalds “shake of the month” for heavens sake.

• @Romulus:

My UK units in Revised are three colored… tanks are Lime green, infantry is tan while the remaining units are also tan but slightly lighter in color.

My UK units in Pacific are not tan they are almost pink…

You got both lime green and tan units in the same AAR game box?

Incredible.

• I have not seen the original lime green for the UK, but my UK Sherman for sure are different, are quite “greenish”!

• Official Q&A

I think we should all just be glad that we’re getting plastic minis at all.  If AH gave A&A the same treatment that they gave the other 50th Anniversary games, we’d be playing with cardboard counters!

• @Krieghund:

I think we should all just be glad that we’re getting plastic minis at all.  If AH treated A&A the same way that they treated the other 50th Anniversary games, we’d be playing with cardboard counters!

Maybe you would be, I’d be playing Guadalcanal  :-D

I’m glad I own the original colors for all the games… lime british in revised, tan brits in europe, and the beautiful red japanese in Pacific.  I wonder if any other colors changed over time?  The british colors do change too often… I have 3 sets of British units between Europe/Pacific, D-Day, and Revised, and 2 sets of Japanese (Pacific and Revised).  Russia and Germany have different shades but still the same general colors, and America was always a deep green it seems.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m