• I have played axis and allies for years but just found out yesterday about miniatures (and this site incidentaly).

My buddy and I were having a discussion about the possibility of adding a combat strategy element to the full board game.  I always hated the randomness of the dice rolls and the predictability of Low Lucking.  He mentioned I pick up some miniatures.  I always assumed the miniatures were just fancy pieces for the full board game and did not realize it was a full game.

I want to get started creating and tweaking a rule-set to incorporate miniatures into the full board game.  I was going to just print out all the unit cards and rules for miniatures make some cardboard pieces to mark the units and print out custom maps to get me going.  However, since spending all day yesterday reading about miniatures I have a strong urge to collect everything.

This brings me to my question.  I would like to have all the rule-sets for all the different sets and all the maps that were/are produced.  I can work with just unit cards for now and collect pieces as I go (or as I can stash money away for cases barring any unfortunate discovery of said stash by my wife).

If I buy one of every starter set will that get me every map and rule-set?
    When I get my stash up to significant levels and ready to buy some cases, which set(s) should I buy in order to complete the collection?
    Is there any other advice that any of you might recommend?

Thank you in advance
    Foxtrot7

BTW this forum rocks and I am sure it will get me in trouble with the boss sooner or later.

• If you are looking to buy the minis, contact MOT here on this forum. I believe he is selling his whole lot.

As for starter packs, I recommed buying both the orginal and the current versions. The original version has the 2" hex maps and improperly scaled vehicles. The current version of the starter pack includes the new 3" hex maps and 15mm scale vehicles.

Your idea about using Axis & Allies Miniatures to play out the strategic / operational level turns of the board games is good and several of us, as well as the current on-line Avalon Hill Guadalcanal campaign do the same thing.

Good look with your gaming efforts and consider trying playing Axis & Allies minis here via this forum.

• I have seen his post.  While tempting I don’t think I am able to swing 600$ right yet.  I am about to close on a house and that large of a chunk out of my account might not look good to the underwriter.

Is there any reads on rule-sets for what you guys use for strategy/operational level.

I am still trying to figure out how to determine representation of the strategy pieces in the mini selection.  One idea I had was to use a system of experience.  IE: Your basic infantry piece would equal the least expensive mini.  For every kill you get one of your strategy pieces will gain an experience level (green, experienced, veteran, elite) which would give you a more expensive selection of units.  This will work best with my other plan to have a giant laminated map taped to a magnetic wipey board where the pieces will be magnetic and markable (exp/number of units).  This idea fascinates me as this would cause the player to think more about weather or not to use a unit as fodder and try to keep his casualties down.

I will also be working on a way to purchase exp rather than having to fight for it.  This will encourage more smaller scaled battles.

• @foxtrot7:

I have played axis and allies for years but just found out yesterday about miniatures (and this site incidentaly).

My buddy and I were having a discussion about the possibility of adding a combat strategy element to the full board game.  I always hated the randomness of the dice rolls and the predictability of Low Lucking.  He mentioned I pick up some miniatures.  I always assumed the miniatures were just fancy pieces for the full board game and did not realize it was a full game.

I want to get started creating and tweaking a rule-set to incorporate miniatures into the full board game.  I was going to just print out all the unit cards and rules for miniatures make some cardboard pieces to mark the units and print out custom maps to get me going.  However, since spending all day yesterday reading about miniatures I have a strong urge to collect everything.

This brings me to my question.  I would like to have all the rule-sets for all the different sets and all the maps that were/are produced.  I can work with just unit cards for now and collect pieces as I go (or as I can stash money away for cases barring any unfortunate discovery of said stash by my wife).

If I buy one of every starter set will that get me every map and rule-set?
    When I get my stash up to significant levels and ready to buy some cases, which set(s) should I buy in order to complete the collection?
    Is there any other advice that any of you might recommend?

Thank you in advance
    Foxtrot7

BTW this forum rocks and I am sure it will get me in trouble with the boss sooner or later.

I too was a big A&A board gamer and got into the minis because of it.  My intentions were similar to yours, perhaps incorporate one game into the other and recreate individual board game battles with the minis.  It’s just not possible because there are too many different mini units.  Also there is no elimate the other army rules to win.  Each game has an iniative to control.

After playing A&A minis I realized that this game stands alone.  It is better and more fun than the board game.  Lets face the facts, there is a text book way to play and win the board game.  There are no secrets and there is a formula to win with every nation.

Half the fun of the minis is blding your armies.  No two games start the same and each army bld had weekness and strenths.  It plays in one hour instead of week(s).  You can play several games a couple of hours instead of worring about you cat, wife, kids knocking over you board game pcs during down time.  Units are historically acurate.  There are cool scenarios that recreate actual battles.  Collecting is cool.

All I can say is give it a try… if you come up with a way to include minis into the board game that would be great.  As a matter of fact I’m sure they’ll be a job waiting for you at WOC if you do.

• Half-Track

Its funny you mentioned kids knocking over the board.  I came up with this solution yesterday:

http://www.custom-magnets.com/39Inch_Magnetic_Rolls.htm
    http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&partNumber=490429&cm_mmc=GoogleBase--Shopping--Office_Supplies_%253E_Resume_and_Specialty_Paper_-_-490429-70972&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=490429
    http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-contact-papers/clear-contact-paper-105240.aspx
    http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/product/productdetail.aspx?product=22122&es=10190200000

Basicly…I will have a magnetic wall…big magnetic campaign map, and magnetic pieces (im going old school cardboard squares only instead of cardboard I will use magnets)

The sticker paper is to print the graphic representation (map or units).  Then cut and stick on magnet piece.  Then seal with clear contact paper which will give it wipe on wipe off capabilities.

Edit:
    After reading more on the units and what not I have to agree with you.  This simply wont work.  At first I thought just using the Mini unit cost = the number of IPCs to purchase but this would mean it would take several turns just to buy a tank.  Not to mention balance issues on the campaign map.

I think what I am going to do is talk my old man into pulling his dusty advanced squad leader boxes out of storage.
    I am also looking into World in Flames to satisfy my delusions of grand conquest.
    Gonna keep A&A around for casual family games though.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m