• This is an intermediate level strategy aimed at keeping the Allies IPCs up and containing then neutralizing the Axis. I don’t think it is viable at League levels, because with the level of play that one will face, too many battles have to go your way. However, for friendly face to face more casual play, I do think it is quite viable. At this level some of the decisions forced upon the Axis should result in mistakes on their part for you to exploit. I also think it would work well in a five player face to face game as there is very little coordination on the Allies part required. It is named for the HMS Valiant a British Battleship damaged by Italian frogmen at Alexandria, Egypt and then repaired at Durban, South Africa. After refit is served in the Indian Ocean.
    The moves.

Russia One. Purchases are one artillery, two tanks and one fighter. Attack Belorussia with the three infantry and fighter from Karelia and the one fighter from Russia. Attack West Russia with the 3 infantry and tank from Archangel, the remaining Russian forces (three infantry, one artillery, and two tanks), and one artillery from Caucasus. After combat land the fighters in the Caucasus, this is important as it will lead up to a second or third round clearing of the Mediterranean by the Russian airforce. Bring the Kazakh infantry forward to the Caucasus. If West Russia went less than well one or two infantry can be shifted from the Caucasus to West Russia for additional defense but you do not want to weaken the Caucasus too much. The goal is to have enough in both territories to discourage German attacks. The Evenki and Novosibirsk infantry move to Russia for a second round advance to West Russia for territory trading with Germany in subsequent rounds. The sub joins the British fleet in seazone 2. The Asian Russian forces can be moved about to your personal preference but in this strategy the best use for them I have found is to just pull them all back towards Moscow. All purchased units are placed in the Caucasus. This should deter a German attack and if not, I have yet to see this  come out to a favorable outcome for Germany regardless of the odds.

England One. Purchase an Industrial Complex and five infantry. Attacks are the airforce to seazone 5, the land forces in England to Algeria via seazone 12, and Indian units to French Indochina should this be available. If the Axis went unBaltic attack the seazone 7 naval units with the airforce from England and in the non combat phase land one fighter in Brazil. Obviously if a carrier was purchased there is no attack with air. In non combat land one fighter from the Baltic attack in West Russia. Consolidate all Indian and Pacific Naval units in seazone 30. Consolidate the southwest asian forces in Persia. The main goal of these forces over the next few turns will be to slow any Japanese or German advance through this area. Move the west Canadian infantry to east Canada. I also like to land the bomber in the Caucasus for SBRs against Southern Europe or support of the Persian forces in future rounds. Place the Industrial Complex in South Africa and the five infantry in England.

United States One. Purchase one fighter and two carriers. It is doubtful that the US will have any combat in the first round however if a Pearl Harbor counterstrike looks good that can be an option.  In non combat use the eastern US forces to reinforce Algeria with the naval units from seazone 10 reinforcing the Allied fleet in seazone 12. Bring the lone destroyer in seazone 20 to the west coast of the US. The western and central US forces go to west Canada. The US bomber can be deployed as desired. Place the purchased units in seazone 55 with the existing and purchased fighter on board.

Russia Two. Purchase six infantry and one fighter. If the Germans did not bid a transport to the Mediteranean fleet, attack it with the Russian airforce from the Caucasus. If Germany captured Gibraltar on the first round land the fighters in Algeria. If the Mediterranean fleet consists of any thing more than the initial one transport and battleship fore go this attack this round. Even it the additional ship is a sub, do not make this attack. The chances are to great for total destruction of the Russian airforce and even worse the survival of the German Battleship. In Europe trade Karelia, Belorussia, and Ukraine as possible. I prefer to not expend Russia’s hardware in these trades and would recommend that infantry only attacks be made. In non combat if the Mediterranean attack was not made land the fighters that were used for territory trading back in the Caucasus. The artillery and infantry from the Caucasus that were not used for an attack on Ukraine should go to West Russia. The infantry in Russia go to West Russia. The submarine follows the British fleet to seazone 12. Further pull the Russian asian forces back towards Moscow. If Japan landed a tank in Buryatia you may want to leave one infantry in Yakut to block a blitz. Purchased units go to the Caucasus and Russia with the caveat that if the Mediterranean fleet was not attacked place the fighter and three infantry in the Caucasus.

England two. Most likely you have 29 IPCs at the start of this round, which will be used to purchase a tank and a Battleship. Advance the Algerian forces to Libya, make any spoiling attacks possible with the Persian infantry, and conduct an SBR on Germany if you like. In non combat move the seazone 30 fleet which at this level of play was most likely not attacked to seazone 28. Move the West Russian fighter to the Caucasus or preferably Persia if the board conditions permit. Use one of the seazone 12 transports to deliver the infantry and tank from East Canada to Algeria. If there is no possibility of a German invasion of England two infantry from England can also go to Algeria. Place the Battleship in seazone 28 and the tank in South Africa. It can also be placed in England but I prefer to put it in South Africa to beef up the English presence there. If a German attack looks possible on the Industrial Complex here the fighter from the fleet can be landed in South Africa.

US two. Purchase two transports and one Battleship. I generally conduct a bombing raid against Germany with the US bomber and then land it in the Caucasus. Advance the US ground forces in Algeria to Libya. All other US forces stay put for the moment and purchased units go to the west coast.

Russia three. Purchase one fighter and infantry with an artillery if necessary to use up all IPCs. If the Mediterranean fleet was not attacked last round do so at this time. Otherwise use aircraft for trades in Europe. Again I like to preserve my Russian hardware so if I do not have aircraft available I make all infantry attacks or maybe bring along one artillery. Continue to reinforce the stack in West Russia with available units and move the Asian forces as possible west. Placement is as in round two.

England three. Purchase a carrier and a fighter with remaining funds going for infantry. Use the seazone 12 naval units to invade Norway with forces from England via seazone 6. Egypt can at this time be liberated by the Libyan forces and troops transported by the seazone 28 fleet from South Africa and Persia via sezone 34. One has to be careful of doing this last as Japan has probably at this point consolidated some naval and air units that can counterattack your fleet. Place the naval units in seazone 6 and the land units in England or South Africa as the board conditions warrant.

US three. Purchase five infantry, three tanks and one transport. Advance the Libyan forces to Egypt. The seazone 12 naval forces join the British fleet in seazone 6 their job for the rest of the game with one exception is to provide fodder for the British fleet. This also applies to the Russian sub. Use one transport to pick up the infantry in midway and deposit him in Canada or Alaska via sezone 64. The other naval units also go to seazone 64. transport is placed off the west coast with the land forces being placed in Los Angeles.

Subsequent rounds. Russia continues to trade with Germany and defend Novosibirsk as necessary. England will want to purchase another transport for the Atlantic fleet and reinforce Norway. Continue to clean up Africa and if possible use the Indian Ocean fleet to reclaim India or if possible grab the East Indies. The US uses its navy from seazone 64 to liberated Buryatia from seazone 62 advance the transport purchased last round to seazone 64. Once England has three transports it can begin landing in Karelia allowing the Russians to concentrate on Belorussia and Ukraine. The US sets up an eventual five transport shuck from west Canada to Buryatia of six infantry and four armor per round. The Asian ground forces clean up what Japan has on the ground between Buryatia and Moscow. If necessary they can advance in force to reinforce Moscow but most likely they will be trading Buryatia with Japan. If Buryatia looks unassailable on the fourth round they can be landed in the Soviet Far East for support of a fifth round landing of troops in Buryatia. If conditions warrant one of the transports from the fleet that is now in seazone 4 can  fall back to shuttle troops from Canada to England for the remaining transport to land in Karelia as reinforcments for the British or they can proceed from Archangel to Moscow to reinforce the US asian presence. At this point it will be time to start focusing attacks on which ever of the Axis countries is in the weakest position.

At some point the English Indian Ocean navy should strike for Japans high income islands to divert Japans attention from the US navy in the North. Attacking with the English fleet at the proper time and the proximity of the US fleet to Japan are what I have found to be the hardest part of this strategy. The latter requires anticipation of Japans response as you will have to purchase your Pacific naval units one round ahead of when they are needed in seazone 62 to be able to move them there.

Again this strategy is for new and intermediate players, so I would invite our more experienced members to provide input ways to strengthen it. There are weaknesses that can be exploited at high levels of play and I am already aware of those. The following are League games where I tested this strategy and do contain some horrendous errors at times on my part but they do give examples of it execution.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11118.0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11404.0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11607.0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11935.0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11931.0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11901.0

• LOL! I’m famous ! :mrgreen:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m