• My friend and I have been playing this game at least a dozen times and have had new ideas for the game.  I know that this game is pretty much historically accurate but my friend loves history and pointed out a few things.

Greenland, was it really controlled by America?  My friend says that it could possibly controlled by Germany.  And same question with Madagascar.

Now for new ideas, we thought it would be awesome if Battleships had an AA gun.  We had some other cool ideas but I can’t remember them off the top of my head now.  Any input would be great.

• I’d like more smaller territories so you could due a true blitzkrieg.  Which includes surrounding the enemy.

• :-D
    The nice thing about this game is creating some of your own nifty houserules. Just try to not get too off balance, and the game should still be fun for everyone.
    Look in the houserules section for more great ideas!
      Happy Gaming  :-D

• @mrsoccerchessman:

Greenland, was it really controlled by America?  My friend says that it could possibly controlled by Germany.  And same question with Madagascar.

UK invaded Island when Denmark fallen. Then, USA taken control of both Greenland and Island (danish surely could confirm this).

Abouth Madagascar, is Free France, and Free France is included in UK in this game (a pity, let’s see if anniversary edition changes this  8-) )

• National advantage for Germany…  my friend was saying that German artillery in WWII were also used as AA gun.  Would it be legit to be able to transform your artillery into an AA gun - rules would make it so that it could only be one or the other on Germany’s noncombat move unless it was used in combat.  Comments?

• German AA Gun was usualy used as AA gun.
    There was only one exception: the mighty 88 mm was used also as Anti Tank Gun.

Other nations in A&A have ordinary artillery pieces while Germany has an AAG-ATG as artillery units.

So… it may also be used as AAG or even ATG if you like to house rule that…  :-D

• For the 88mm Flak gun, it was about the only thing germans had to stop the russians heavy tanks. It was later on litterally used on the Tiger II mounted in the turret. So yea, it was an awesome gun.

Slighty out of topic, i came on this article on the KV heavy tank which gives an idea of what a russian heavy tank could do:

"On August 14, the German 8th Panzer Division’s vanguard ventured directly into the well-prepared Soviet ambush, with Kolobanov’s tank knocking out the lead German tank with its first shot. The Germans falsely assumed that their lead tank had hit an anti-tank mine, and failed to realize that they were ambushed. The German column stopped, giving Kolobanov the opportunity to destroy the second tank. Only now did the Germans realize they were under attack, but failed to find the source of the shots. While the German tanks were firing blindly, Kolobanov knocked out the trailing German tank, thus boxing in the entire column.

Although the Germans correctly guessed the direction of fire, they could only spot Lieutenant Kolobanov’s tank, and now attempted to engage an unseen enemy. German tanks moving off the road bogged down in the surrounding soft ground, becoming easy targets. 22 German tanks and 2 towed artillery pieces fell victim to Kolobanov’s No. 864 before it ran out of ammunition. Kolobanov ordered in another KV-1, and 21 more German tanks were destroyed before the half-hour battle ended. Total number of destroyed German tanks reached 43, and this was done by five Soviet KV-1 (two more remained in reserve).

After the battle, the crew of No. 864 counted a total of 135 hits on their tank, none of which had penetrated the KV-1’s armour. Lieutenant Kolobanov was awarded the Order of Lenin, while his driver Usov was awarded the Order of the Red Banner. "

• No it was not used on Tiger II.

The original 88 mm AA Gun used also as an ATG gun was modified to become the KwK 88/56 (KwK = Kampfwagen Kanone that means tank gun) mounted in the Tiger I turret.

Tiger II used the Kwk 43 88/71,5 Tank Gun specifically designed for the Tiger II. An ATG version of such gun existed: the PaK 43 (Panzer Abwher Kanone that means Anti Tank Gun) 88/71,2.
    88/71,2 was a wonderful weapon that may deal with any kind of Russian tanks, KV an JS models included.

• @mrsoccerchessman:

Now for new ideas, we thought it would be awesome if Battleships had an AA gun.  We had some other cool ideas but I can’t remember them off the top of my head now.  Any input would be great.

I would guess Battleship AA guns would put the kibosh on a lot of US1 pearl counteroffenses.  Otherwise it’s a boon to the Allies as it would be even more risky to attack the allied shipping and germany couldn’t fly over the baltic for combat.

On the other hand, I rarely see battleships being bought in most games.  It would be interesting to see if that made it worth the 24ipcs to buy more.

• So, would that be considered an acceptable National Advantage for Germany, Artillery having the option of being an AA Gun if it did not do combat this turn?  And the battleships with AA guns?  In my games, my friends and I are always eager to buy BBs.

Another new idea would be… Paratroopers- Bombers can drop up to 2 Inf over a place.  Inf must be loaded on like a transport.  Other exceptions to this rule can be added seeing as it would be an awesome tactic.  comments?

• well parachutes sound interesting thats for sure :wink:

• I do not like the idea of BB with AA gun. It helps more allies then Axis. Attacking the lone BB for Germany may be a real pain. Attacking allied fleets in following turn may become hard. And even if Japan has 2 BB if Allied goes KGF those BB AAG are pretty useless
    BB are costly at 24 IPC but they are still a respectable unit that fire at 4 and may absorb an hit. BB shine! They are really a powerful unit. Well up to when you do not think of buying them…  :-D

• So, would that be considered an acceptable National Advantage for Germany, Artillery having the option of being an AA Gun if it did not do combat this turn?  And the battleships with AA guns?  In my games, my friends and I are always eager to buy BBs.
    @mrsoccerchessman:

Another new idea would be… Paratroopers- Bombers can drop up to 2 Inf over a place.  Inf must be loaded on like a transport.  Other exceptions to this rule can be added seeing as it would be an awesome tactic.  comments?

There already are paratroopers for use with Axis & Allies Revised 2004. They came along with the additional rules (Gamers Paradise) for 2nd edition, and has now been revised for use in Revised 2004.
    There are about 5 or 6 additional rules used chronological for revised. Paratroopers are in the 1st addon along with:
    -Elite Divisions
    -Trucks
    -Jeeps
    -Fighters aces

The revised rules (1st rev.) are soon published on English in close cooperation with European Axis & Allies communities.

• '19 Moderator

FYI, do what yo uwant with it:
    From Wikipedia

Iceland
    Main article: Iceland during World War II
    From 1918 until 1944 Iceland was self-governing, but the Danish King was Head of State of both Denmark and Iceland. As with the Faroe Islands, the United Kingdom occupied Iceland (to pre-empt a German occupation) but later turned it over to the United States, before that country entered the war in 1941. Iceland became a fully independent republic in 1944 and has remained so thereafter.

Greenland
    See also: History of Greenland: Strategic Importance and History of Greenland during World War II
    Regarding Greenland, on April 9, 1941, the Danish envoy (ambassador) to the United States, Henrik Kauffmann, signed a treaty with the U.S., authorising it to defend Greenland and construct military stations there. Kauffmann was supported in this decision by the Danish diplomats in the United States and the local authorities in Greenland. Signing this treaty “in the name of the King” was a clear violation of his diplomatic powers, but Kauffmann argued that he would not receive orders from an occupied Copenhagen.

• Thanks for the history… though that’s from wikipedia :-)

• @mrsoccerchessman:

Thanks for the history… though that’s from wikipedia :-)

If it’s on internet, it must be true!

I BELIEVE!

• @Bunnies:

@mrsoccerchessman:

Thanks for the history… though that’s from wikipedia :-)

If it’s on internet, it must be true!

I BELIEVE!

Then you will believe everything thus making yourself contradict yourself.  For example, if somewhere online it said “Llamas are the best”  10 times out of 9 times there will be somewhere saying “Llamas are the worst”.  So, I can never trust you now :-)

But who cares, wikipedia is wikipedia… it must be true ;-)

• '19 Moderator

It’s factual.

• I thought wikipedia was the one where you can edit it yourself.  I know of uncyclopedia.org - that site is freaking hilarious

• '19 Moderator

You can, the article I quoted is factual, I’m lazy and it’s eisier to quote than write myself.  also most of the factual articles on wiki are referenced so if you have doubts you can follow the research.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m