PS3 owners??? Hardware inquiry.

• A question for any PS3 owners but specifically those who upgraded from a PS2.

Will my PS2 controllers function with the PS3?

Is it a game by game deal or just They-won’t-work?

I’m thinking of grabbing a MGS4 bundle (if there are any left) and was just curious if a second PS3 controller would be needed for 2 player stuff or if I could ‘get by’ with my ‘old’ controllers.

This question doesn’t seem to be in any FAQs I’ve come across. Thanks!

• I’ve heard that they do work, but Sony does not claim so.  And they don’t do the 6 axis control stuff, obviously.

Sorta like with the PS2, you could use PS1 controllers.

• @Jermofoot:

I’ve heard that they do work, but Sony does not claim so.  And they don’t do the 6 axis control stuff, obviously.

Sorta like with the PS2, you could use PS1 controllers.

See that’s what I was thinking. I was curious if anyone had actually plugged the PS2’s into the PS3 (and kept the PC on the QT cause if it leaks to the VC the VP could end up MIA and we’d all be placed on KP) to see if they worked.

They wouldn’t have to be perfect because I’d end up with mostly 1 player games anyway but I like to be prepared.

• Actually, you have to buy a certain adapter. See, the PS3 uses USB ports for it’s controlers instead of those fat wide things. Their wireless too, the only thing the cord is for is chargeing it up. So no, you can’t use a PS2 one, the adapter is about 10-20 bucks.

• @Gewehr:

Actually, you have to buy a certain adapter. See, the PS3 uses USB ports for it’s controlers instead of those fat wide things. Their wireless too, the only thing the cord is for is chargeing it up. So no, you can’t use a PS2 one, the adapter is about 10-20 bucks.

I knew they were wireless but I assumed they were like the wireless one I picked up for the PS2. Its transmitter plugs into the normal ‘wide’ slot on the front of the console.

So if you have more than one at a time to charge you will need some sort of dock or splitter right? Or are there multiples USB ports on the console (requiring multiple cables)?

• Ah.  Sorry for the bad info.  I could have sworn that someone was using PS2 controllers, but maybe I was thinking the PS1/PS2 thing…

• @Jermofoot:

Ah.  Sorry for the bad info.  I could have sworn that someone was using PS2 controllers, but maybe I was thinking the PS1/PS2 thing…

No worries.  :-) Just gathering intel.

I can’t decide if what I’m trying to do is talk myself into it or talk myself out of the not insignificant expenditure.  :|

MGS4 is getting killer reviews and looks amazing but the PS3 is a lot of cash and without a HDTV I wouldn’t be getting full WOW  :-o value. But there are a few things in the pipeline that look appealing to me so I’m a in a bit of a quandry.

• If you get the 40G PS3, theres 2 USB ports, the 60 and 80G have 4. Charging only takes mabye an hour, even when playing so you usualy don’t have them plugged in. Just plug them in when your never using it and you’ll never have to recharge during a game. The adaptor I have is a normal PS3 USB cord that goes to allittle triangle with 2 PS2 ports. What’s easyer to me, is have the PS2 and PS3 next to eachother and both plugged on, but when you want to switch, just unplug the video and audio of one, and plug the vid and aud in to the other.

I just got MGS4, man it is awsome. Graphics are amazing and the guns many, and customizable like silencers, scopes, red dots, M203s, ect. (Silenced/scoped M4 baby, they never know  :evil: )it also got online too. They have RPGs and mortors man, RPGs and mortors!  :mrgreen:

• I would probably get the 80GB MGS4 bundle and obviously an extra controller. I would then sell or trade the PS2 console and wired controller and the PS2 wireless controller.

When I orginally thought about getting a new console I just dismissed the PS3 as too expensive and the 2 games I really wanted were on the PS2 but after really looking at some of the stuff that is out and some of the stuff that is coming (The Force Unleashed) I’m thinking that maybe it isn’t as much as I thought.

It is a lot but it is as cool as its price. But it is a BIG price. I’ve also played thru my PS2 games and I’m deciding whether to join the ‘next-gen’ or just pick up some ‘new-used’ games.

But MGS4 looks Waaaaayyyyy cool so I’m having a crisis of frugality.

• Is it online multiplayer that allows split screen or something?  Just wondering why you want the 2 controllers.

And I’d say that since Blu Ray won the disc wars, it might be a good investment.

• @Jermofoot:

Is it online multiplayer that allows split screen or something?  Just wondering why you want the 2 controllers.

And I’d say that since Blu Ray won the disc wars, it might be a good investment.

Some of my PS2 and PS1 games are two player. And the Mortal Kombat coming out with the Comic book characters I think will be two player. I think some of the sports games are multiplayer. I don’t think I ‘need’ the extra controller but it seems like something to have and not need than to need and not have.

If you look at the PS3 as a Blu-ray player you are getting a free game system or vice versa. I’ve read several reviews and as a Blu-ray player the PS3 is in the top of the list.

• COD4, Warhawk, MGS4, Resistance, BF:BC, and COD3 are the must gets.

• Oh yeah, I wasn’t thinking about the backwards compatibility.  I was wondering why I hadn’t heard that MGS4 had a coop or split screen multiplayer capability. :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m