• the Axis had to take TWO allied capitals to win AAE?

Of course you’d need a bid for the Axis as this is a rather harder objective… the USA and UK might well leave Russia to fall and spend their money building up an Atlantic fleet instead… not easy for the Axis to defeat even once they get the income from Russia.

Would be a quite different game…!

• I think the Axis would need the equivalent of a whole extra turn, or about 40 bonus IPCs anyway. This would make it super easy to secure the Mediterranean and the Middle East, gaining a pernicious IPC boost vs. the Allies, and eliminating any southern threat altogether – then you could safely marshal an amphibious force out of Allied striking range. It would make for one heck of a battle from the North Sea to the South Atlantic!

Does anyone ever play by the rule that to win, the Allies must hold all four capital territories for one full round? (The manual just stipulates that the Allied conqueror of Germany must hold his own home capital – in other words, the Yanks or the Brits could hold Germany, while Moscow is occupied, and the Allies still win.) I guess in most cases the hold-all-capitals rule might just extend the game while every German unit is hunted down across Russia – but there might be an extreme case where the Axis player could retake Germany while holding Moscow – very tough when your reinforcement income is zilch.

• I have played the game like this before(Germany must take two Caps) and I took Moscow and London–AFTER THREE WEEKENDS!! Its true that Germany can safely build an Invasion Fleet after the destruction of Moscow and then the mop up,but it takes too long…Germany must balance building air power with ships(being built in the Med) and fending off Allied hit and run attacks in Scandinavia…It was time consuming,I got some lucky rolls when it counted and my friend made some tactical mistakes. So unless you like prolonged games,stick to the basics!!

• If you gave germany a bid or extra turn, I would probably take the uk before moscow since with a few more ipc’s it could be forced. Once the uk falls, moscow is easy to tackle. Because of this, I think the game would have to be redisigned for a 2 capital win.

what about instead having victory points? Germany needs about 30 to win, however you could bid on the number. For each industrial complex Germany has at the end of it’s turn it get’s a victory point. Moscow doesn’t win. This way the battle of Stalingrad might emerge… This would increase the length of the game, but perhaps also allow for different strategies each game. Allies might invade through italy to knock out the ic there. Alternatly you could have germany need 10 or so VP’s and they only get them from foreign ic’s and lose them for not controlling their starting ic’s. This would prevent stacking germany and nita and waiting for turn 15.

What do you think?

• I haven’t played A&A or A&AP, so I am not familiar with playing for VPs. However, it sounds like you have given this some creative thinking. Certainly Germany as the major invader would have to earn points by taking Allied ICs, not just by holding its own.
    What rules would you weave in concerning the construction of new ICs?
    (There is discussion of this “new ICs” topic on at least one other thread in the Forums.)

• well, to keep it simple, you can’t build new ic’s that’s the standard rule in europe anyway. Otherwise germany goes and builds a few each turn and it’s ridiculous.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m