• '19 Moderator

I rolled a battle last weekend that was so awesome(forme anyway), I had to post it here.

Japan Invaded India, I believe this was on J2

He brought:
    4Inf from FIC
    2Inf from somewhere on a transport
    2 Ftrs from the Indian AC
    and a BB for suport.

I defended with 3 Inf and an AAA

I’ve rolled this on a calc since and it said 98.2% attacker success, I don’t know if that’s true or not, but there you go.  This is ho wthe battle whent down:

Round 1
    BB miss
    AAA 1hit
    1Ftr - miss
    6inf - all miss
    Bits(me)
    3Inf - 2 hits

Round 2
    Ftr - Miss
    4Inf -all miss
    Brits
    3Inf - 2hits

Round 3 ( he’s pissed now and just knows it will work this time
    Ftr - Miss
    2Inf -all miss
    Brits
    3Inf - 2hits

Result - ftr retreats no brit losses.  LMAO  I love real dice sometimes.

• Sometimes I hate the dice. Picture this:

I assault London with: 4 INF 4 ARM 6 FIG 1 Bomber
    The UK defends with:  8 INF 3 FIG 1AA

With the anti-air he shoots out 5 FIG, and I got only one hit in the first round, where he got 6. I was frakking p*ssed, and almost flipped over the gameboard(almost  :-D)
    I had a hard time believing in ‘Gott mit uns’ after that one… :cry:

• One of my worst dice ever was on R1 on the WR attack:

G killed my 9 inf, 1 art and 1 arm AND was still left with 1 ARM at the end….that’s 0.4% odds…  :x

Needless to say, Russia did not last long on that game afterwards

• I just recently attacked and killed a Japanese DD, Tran and Sub with only a British DD over four rounds of combat without losing my Destroyer.

Obviously my opponent was not pleased.  :-D

• Attacked SZ 15 in first turn with BB and FIG and a loaded TRA for ongoing attack to EGY. Have to cancel and return to SZ 14 after two rounds with damaged BB and killed FIG. Needless to say that the attack on EGY also was a desaster …

Lost DD and AC to the japanese TRA in SZ 59 on first turn.
    <edit>Did I mentioned that the TRA have survive that battle?</edit>

• Two like that…

Current game attack on Moscow by Japan.  Around 99% odds to win.  Japan forces wiped out with USSR still having forces left.

About a year ago against Gamer (I think it was Gamer)…
    It was either a Caucuses or Ukraine battle.  I hit 0.02% probability and took no enemy forces and got wiped out; effectively ended the game.

• 2007 AAR League

yea nothing like beer & battle with the guys.  these boards are cool,  but i’ll take a real game of trash talk & dice flying around the room anytime.

• Bad dice was pretty common during real WW II too

1941 Japan attack Singapore with 30 000 men, Brits defend with 120 000 men dug in + large fleet. In A&A this will equal Japan attack with 1 inf, brit defend with 4 inf and lose all.

In the German attack on France 1940, Germany attacked with 400 divisions and 2700 tanks, and France/Britain defend with 400 divisions and 4200 tanks. In A&A this will be like Germany attack with 20 inf and 3 tanks, and Allies defend with 20 inf and 4 tanks and lose all, while germany lose 1 inf. During Barbarossa it was even more skewed, and Russia lost like 10 times more men than Germany.

In Battle of Crete, Germany attack with 10 000 pratroopers and Brits defend with 50 000 men and have a large fleet in adjacent sea zone. This will be like Germany attack with 1 bomber and brits defend with 5 inf and loose all.

Of course in real wars you usually need to be 3 to 1 in attacks if you want to succeed, but as we see bad luck exist in real world too

• '19 Moderator

Yeah, Midway is another clasic example of bad dice, I remember playing AvalonHills Midway for the first and last time when I was about 15.

My buddy who owned the game said “I’ll let you be America.”

I was thinking “Sweet easy win!”

It’s amazing the odds the US fleet over came when you lay all those ships out…

Needless to say the outcome was not historical…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

And that is exactly why LL is not the same game as ADS!

• i just had in my game against EM 1 inf + BB bombard against egypt (3 inf 1 bomber)… infantry takes egypt

freakin zorro

• :x
    Aldertag,
    I smote you for bringing real life examples into this game.
    we all like to feel like the dice are not our friends/ or are unrealisticly for us from time to time.
    How come I never get any dice like that!?!  :-P
    Otherwise, I like ya. :wink:

• 2007 AAR League

“good luck” in real life wars is usually secondary to good leadership, higher tech or better strategies, not " good luck". Russia sure had a big army in WWI, but they sure didnt fare too well. And American infantry sure can kill a whole lot of enemy infantry with minimal casualties, but thats because of fancy weapons and vehicles. Course that dont necessarily mean we win…

• @Crazy:

we all like to feel like the dice are not our friends/ or are unrealisticly for us from time to time.

Yep, this is the difference between ADS and LL… I’d go for LL any day  :wink:

• The game just doesn’t take into account the quality of the troops. All pieces of infantry have the same combat value fore each side. Therefore, a piece of russian infantry in the game represents more men than a piece of german infantry.

• Quality vs quantity

timidity vs tenacity

technology vs trueism

might makes right!

But luck doesn’t have anything to do with it? Sorry, but that just doesn’t seem to fit.

What was it the TBM pilot radioed back to his carrier air wing commander as they found the Japanese Imperial Carriers just north of Midway Island? Oh ya, " What good Luck!" " We caught them with their decks full!"

Yes my friends, “Luck” often is what gives one side the advantage, despite all the other multipliers of a battle.
    That is why some gamers will never play LL, as it will reduce their chances for luck being a big factor in winning or losing their game. That way, they can always blame it on the “dice” and not their abilities or strategy.

• How many of us will brag about too awesomely advantageous dice ?
    I have some ‘war stories’ but none as outrageous as the first examples given.

Guess the brain is more an ‘injustice detector’ than a neutral reasoning machine ?

• @Crazy:

What was it the TBM pilot radioed back to his carrier air wing commander as they found the Japanese Imperial Carriers just north of Midway Island? Oh ya, " What good Luck!" " We caught them with their decks full!"

Hmm, nobody in Belgium thinks the loss of fort Eben-Emael was bad luck. for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Eben-Emael

the point is: catching your enemy of guard is not a matter of luck. It’s a matter of stupid enemies and smart planning.

• Real-life examples are fun and all, but we have to remember one thing:

We’re not replaying WWII, we’re playing a game of what might have been WWII.
    And that’s a good thing too, because otherwise who would ever play the Axis, knowing you’re going to lose?
    I think if we were replaying WWII, HolKann would gladly give me the Germans and Japanese every time :lol:(Even though he can kick my sorry behind with the Allies anyway).
    Being able to change history, is what makes the game so appealing to me.
    And using the dice just have a certain charm to it, right? :-P

• I forgott the Finnish winter war in 1939 with 20 000 dead finns and one million dead russians

Finland defend with 2 inf and Russia attack with 10 inf. Russia lose all inf and Finn lose none

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m