• Hi everyone, I have a question.

My friends and I have been playing for some time and we’re trying to create a greater challenge for us. So we’re thinking about playing with the national advantages. But we’re having trouble to even out the advantages amongst the 5 nations.

Do any of you have any suggestions to get a balanced game with the national advantages?

• There are several things you can do with National Advantages.

You can search this forum for posts with “National Advantage” and read the many thoughts here.

You can utilize the Larry Harris Tournament Rules v2.0 NAs.
    http://daak.de/regeln/eng/AAR_LHTR_v2.0.pdf
    Don’t get hung up on the name, these rules are used by many, if not all online clubs.  I would recommend these rules, if you are still using the out of the box rules, there are flaws that LHTR corrects.

Personally, I utilize a rules set that has created their own National Advantages that are balanced.  There are many house rules/variant available, I don’t want to go too much into this or I’ll get slapped for posting in the wrong forum.  The link I would refer you to is the Enhanced rules set:  http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11203.0

You can just utilize these National Advantages if you’d like.  Once you get those down and you are looking for even more strategic options than Revised offers, I’d recommend these Enhanced rules (shameless plug!)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Another option is to give the axis more advantages then the allies to even the score.  Say limit England, America and Russia to 1 advantage each and give each axis 3 advantages (3 for Germany, 3 for Japan.)

This is using the advantages from the box, of course.  LHTR is a bit more balanced so you can limit the advantages in such a way as each team has the same number with each nation of a team being approximately equal in number of advantages (+/- 1 of course.)

• I found an idea on this forum that I loved, so I’ll share it with you.

Use the Larry Harris Tournament Rules 2.0 ruleset, of course, as the out of the box rules are broken.

Then, roll 2 dice for every country.  These are the advantages the country gets.  (Re-roll doubles)

Then, the Axis countries each get to choose 1 additional advantage.  This gives the Axis 6 advantages, and the Allies 6.  It also helps lessen the gap between the allies and axis balance, because the simple act of getting to choose one of your national advantages can be very strategic.

Too many advantages will make the game feel a bit cluttered, and probably disrupt the balance.  If you play with all advantages, the allies get a full 6 more!  Do NOT use the out of the box advantages (ever) because they will destroy the game, lol.  The US Super Fortresses was the worst idea I have ever seen in a game like this, and after LHTR tried to balance it out, Harris (presumably) realized that such an advantage is gamebreaking no matter how nerfed it is, and replaced it all together (with an advantage reminiscent of Industrial Technology in classic, but balanced as land units aren’t affected).

• Thx everyone, I think now we can spice up our games

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m