• Probably this poll isn’t new here but I saw a post that made me rethink this question and decided to run a little poll  :-D

• I wonder if anyone will check Salvage as one of the best…

• I notice no one wants French Resistance either  :evil:

• '11

Or mideast oil.

• @Antholin:

Or mideast oil.

That could be psychological…  :-)

• Interesting so far. I’m curious on how many NAs per side do people usually assign. I put 4 because that’s how I use to play it.

• only times i ever used them was 1 per nation so 3/2, works out fine as Axis ones are a lot better IMO.

@ncscswitch:

I notice no one wants French Resistance either  :evil:

that would be because the French suck… why get a few extra guys who already lost there home?  :lol:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Honestly, unless you use French Resistance with Joint Strike to make a liberation attempt even worse odds, it’s pretty useless.  Even with them used thusly, they are pretty useless.

Mideast Oil can be okay.  Decent for getting fighters from England to Japan fast, but honestly, again we’re not talking about high powered utility.

All in all, I have to say the MAJORITY of Allied National Advantages suck.  Especially compared to Axis ones. (in both LHTR versions.  OOB is a different animal.)

As for number of NA’s per side, generally speaking the tournaments that I play in have 3 for Germany, 3 for Japan and 2 for each England, America and Russia.

With those numbers, we’re talking bids for the axis in the amount of 0 to 2 IPC.  I’ve even bid for the Allies with those numbers because the Axis have a better assortment to chose from.  Especially since they are randomly selected (2 random per nation, one chosen by Germany and one chosen by Japan.)

Salvage I’ve used once or twice.  It usually only works when defending Moscow.  Otherwise, it’s EXTREMELY rare for Germany to lose a tank and not take the land.

• does lend lease in 2.0 allow figs or is it specifically LAND units.

Land units only.

I think it’s a good restriction, actually.  Otherwise, Russia grows with an air force of 40 fighters! (exaggerated of course.)

BTW, I am a STRONG proponent of Joint Strike.  If you set it up correctly, you can seriously damage both Japan and Germany with it.  However, I believe Joint Strike should be a surprise.  Declared on America’s turn.  But I’d compromise and making it declared on England’s turn.

• @Cmdr:

As for number of NA’s per side, generally speaking the tournaments that I play in have 3 for Germany, 3 for Japan and 2 for each England, America and Russia.

With those numbers, we’re talking bids for the axis in the amount of 0 to 2 IPC.  I’ve even bid for the Allies with those numbers because the Axis have a better assortment to chose from.  Especially since they are randomly selected (2 random per nation, one chosen by Germany and one chosen by Japan.)

So, if I got it right, all of the Allied NAs are random while G/J can choose one of the 3. They choose before or after they roll for the random NAs?

• I picked Trans-Siberian Railway, Radar, Mechanized Infantry, and War Economy.

No love for Island Bases? I know it isn’t spectacular, but it’s far more useful than Salvage, Mideast Oil or French Resistance, and it can be mighty handy in a drawn out Pacific campaign.

@Hobbes:

@Cmdr:

So, if I got it right, all of the Allied NAs are random while G/J can choose one of the 3. They choose before or after they roll for the random NAs?

The way it is done, at least in all the games and tournaments I have been in is:

All 10 Random NAs are rolled with duplicates being re-rolled. (Just in case you get like two 6’s or something for a nation.)

Then the bid is placed.

Then, when the Axis player places their bid, they simultaneously declare their third National Advantage for BOTH nations.

So in a blind bid you would go:

2 IPC for the axis, both to Germany for starting Money.

I declare Tokyo Express and Dive-Bombers.

For example.

• @Cmdr:

The way it is done, at least in all the games and tournaments I have been in is:

All 10 Random NAs are rolled with duplicates being re-rolled. (Just in case you get like two 6’s or something for a nation.)

Then the bid is placed.

Then, when the Axis player places their bid, they simultaneously declare their third National Advantage for BOTH nations.

Thanks. I think I’m gonna try this method next time I play the board game.

No prob.

The idea is to keep each side balanced but allow the axis to chose a third of their National Advantages to drop the bid considerably.  At least that’s what I think the idea is.

• This really is wonderful!thanks a lot

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m