• @a44bigdog:

Maybe its just me but the IPC count board seems to be of great annoyance in FTF games.

In our FTF games, we eliminate that silly IPC board as well as the paper money.
    Cash is tracked on paper.
    At the end of a players turn, you count how much you’re up, then subtract how much you are down (looking for the contorl markers on the board) and add/subtract this net from your base.

An example

Germany is up Caucasus (4), Persia(1) and Kazakh(2) = +7
    She’s down Algeria(1), Libya(1) and Norway(3) = -5
    altogether, +2, from the German base cash of $40, she has $42 collected this turn.

write that down, UK is up.

Not only is this more simple, it’s also more accurate and less work than moving those control markers on the IPC chart

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I find the battlemap is more accurate.  You’re always missing a control marker here or there on the physical board, and counting in your head is just begging for an arithmetic error.

• @Cmdr:

I find the battlemap is more accurate.  You’re always missing a control marker here or there on the physical board, and counting in your head is just begging for an arithmetic error.

First, the man was discussing FTF gaming.

Second, the mechanism is the same whether you do it manually with your own control markers on a physical board ~OR~ you use battlemap control markers.

Either way, you have to mark the territory manually, so the same ‘error’ of which you speak can exist in both FTF AND Battlemap.

There error I am speaking of is control markers that are not seen by the human.  Battlemap sees the control markers with 100% accuracy, assuming you put them on the board.  So it’s a different error.

And I’m talking face to face games too and I’m doing it in the Battlemap thread. :P  I never use the physical board anymore.  You have to unpack it, set it up, watch Sea Lion happen, put it away and then stew about how we should have used LHTR to have a fun game.  Then someone dumps their beer on someone else, then it becomes a game of can we see Jenny’s breasts and it goes down hill from there.

With battlemap, it’s just a matter of opening the file and spinning the tablet around so everyone can see it from their own angle.  Even better, the pieces don’t fall due to centrifugal force as you spin the board when using battlemap!

• If you have a problem doing the simple math in my example  :-P, you probably should not be playing A&A and this might be the REAL reason JENFORCES are so strong!  :-o :lol:

Did you ever hear of checking your work?  :?
    You add the numbers twice, or (what we do) ask your opponent to confirm:
    “I have Germany at $42… agreed?”

Sorry, but Face-to-Face games are all about moving the pieces, rolling the bones, and dropping those control markers on Russia when she falls!

A computer for FACE-TO-FACE games?  Eh-gads!  :cry:

This was a boardgame first  :roll:

I guess to each-their-own.

No need to reply, Jen, we know you love battlemap.

Yes, and when I first played this I was 13 and could sit on the floor for hours too.  I’ve grown and matured.  I prefer to sit at the table, pass the tablet around, eat chips and dip and drink beer. :P

When I was a child, I did the things of a child.  Now I am an adult and do the things of a child in an adult way. :P

And sorry, but I’ve oft seen people try to add it all up only to forget to add in silly things like West Indies or miss the flag in Madagascar, etc.  The flags are there, but they just don’t see it.  You can add it up all you want, but if you keep missing a flag in a part of the board you do not look for it, you’ll always be wrong in your total.

Battlemap solves that problem.  If you put the flag there, it tracks it for you.  Just look at the total at the end of your turn, there’s your cash.

• @Cmdr:

Yes, and when I first played this I was 13 and could sit on the floor for hours too.  I’ve grown and matured.  I prefer to sit at the table, pass the tablet around, eat chips and dip and drink beer. :P

When I was a child, I did the things of a child.  Now I am an adult and do the things of a child in an adult way. :P

And sorry, but I’ve oft seen people try to add it all up only to forget to add in silly things like West Indies or miss the flag in Madagascar, etc.  The flags are there, but they just don’t see it.  You can add it up all you want, but if you keep missing a flag in a part of the board you do not look for it, you’ll always be wrong in your total.

Battlemap solves that problem.  If you put the flag there, it tracks it for you.  Just look at the total at the end of your turn, there’s your cash.

Not only DON’T you do what you are asked NOT to do
    “No need to post Jen, we know you love Battlemap”

you are insulting me, calling how I play the game as childish.  :x :x :x
    So it’s ok to insult people if you put a little smiley with their tongue out?

When I was young and 13 I was impatient and would miss important little details like ALL The control markers on a board.  I guess some of us have matured enough to be able to see the whole board when they want to.  :-P

Oh yes, and Battlemap can cure cancer too….

• Did someone say breasts?  :-D

Errors are part of the game, whether they are strategic or mathematical. And if you
    don’t watch what your doing (maybe one beer too many) you could make a blunder.

IMHO-Axis and Allies, like sex, is best enjoyed when not using a computer….

I prefer using the computer because it’s more resilliant to being thrown across the room when you attack with 40 fighters and get zero hits, but both defending transports hit.

And Axis, you can infer what you want.  But everyone here knows what I said is not the way you understood it.  At least, everyone here familiar with classical poetry anyway.

Thinking about that, I think I worded it wrong.  It sounds demeaning - at least in my mind - and I did not mean it as such.  If you were insulted, Axis, I apologize.

I was attempting to use a bit of humor with the statement “when I was a child I…” because it’s a relatively famous saying in the groups I associate with.

• Abattemap for FTF games…
    the scrolling would annoy the crap out of me

we need
    *touch screen
    *huge screen

quite possible actually
    holographic devices would be cheap enough soon

I take it you’ve all seen the arrival of consumer level holograhic keyboards right?

• @tekkyy:

I take it you’ve all seen the arrival of consumer level holograhic keyboards right?

I wonder how well that works, guy tried to sell me that when I was looking for a quiet keyboard replacement for my desktop as to not avoid the wife with the click click as I typed

• I think both display and motion detect are infrared

in the end I mean those big touch screen table PCs

search in youtube “Microsoft Surface Parody”
    its pretty funny

run Abattlemap on that

• Wow, it would be just like playing on my game board…  :evil:

Tens of thousands of dollars for the tech-fanatics to have what I already have for $40 :-P

Actually we just zoom the map once and we have the full map displayed at all times.  No scrolling needed.

• wait I thought you can’t zoom in abattlemap?

• @Cmdr:

then it becomes a game of can we see Jenny’s breasts and it goes down hill from there.

Well, of course it’s all downhill from there. :-o

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m