• '19 Moderator

I keep reading about the new sets that come out and every time I am disapointed when I see the maps and rule sets.  I think the game is missing out on it’s biggest opportunaty.  I think this game would be so much beter if the unit scale was translated directly into the maps and rules.  Buildings should be able to hold muliple soldiers, and it should be possible to have firefights inside buildings.

Well, for now I will just have to settle with making my own rules and maps…

• I didn’t really like the minis game for just that reason. The game somehow (to me) managed to be both too big and too small at the same time. It has unit facing (small thing) but one tank holds the town (big thing.)

• '19 Moderator

That’s exactly what I mean, If there’s a tank in the town another tank cant get in, a half track holds 1 soldier, If there’s a tank in the town there can only be one friendly unit, but there can be 2 enemy units.  I don’t know, I have altered so many rules that I may as well write my own rule book.  I like the pieces and I like the combat resolution, there are afew other things I like Initiative and some of the other mechanics, but anything that has to do with battle scale seems under-thought to me.

• This is where I think Historic Battlefronts got it right.  Excellent maps

• I thought that I read somewhere that 1 soldier represented a unit and something about the tanks, too. I’ll look around for where I read that (probably in the rules somewhere) :|

• I’m liking this game as it is, for its simplicity of play.  I can quickly teach new people and have them playing.

I’ve been playing a HO / 1:72 scale home made game (both WWII and Modern) that the scale is to scale.  We build terrain that is 1 centimeter to 1 meter.  Essentially 1 cm is three feet.  There is no hex terrain for ease of movement and we have multi story buildings with rooms that the models can enter etc.  It is very good and very versatile but it is also slower as we keep adding  capabilities.

The A&A minis is a nice mix of mini gaming and a board game.  Its not perfect but I’ll stick with it.  Live with the cards cause there is very little on a real battlefield that you can control.

• '19 Moderator

How do you build the buildings, I am looking to make a scenario that calls for a multi story building and I am looking for Ideas.

• As someone said above, check out these maps if you want more detailed fighting in cities, bldgs etc.

http://www.hbfronts.com/

• '19 Moderator

I have their stalingrad map, it’s quite a bit beter than what comes in the box.  I like what they did with the 10m scale, but the map is too small.  I guess I can’t be pleased.

I am going to pick up some 1/4" balsa wood and build a 4 story building.  If it works out I will do more.

• My buildings are made of wood.  Walls are 1/4 inch thick and each level is 1.5 inches high.  I cut windows and doors etc and glue the pieces together with low melt hot glue sticks.  I happen to have a table saw etc (actially a full cabinet shop) and I cut “rabbet” edges along the tops of the walls on the interior sides so that individual room covers sit into the notches like and suspended ceiling. The covers are just cardboard with a fold of tape on them as a handle.

My three story office building has 3 separate floors and a roof.  If an enemy breaches into the bottom floor I lift off the top floors and the specific room lid.  That way the enemy can see what is in the room they entered and while they can visualize the rest of the rooms on that floor they can’t see what soldiers or defences are in each.  If the enemy goes up the stairs or mouseholes into another room instead of using the doors etc I expose the rooms as required and will of course conduct counterattacks into the contested rooms.  WEorks pretty well and teaches that stacking assaulters is trouble if the enemy has grenades.

• post some pics please

• '19 Moderator

I’d love to see some pics as well.  I like the idea of revealing the floors as they are entered.

• Wait, Out.

• '19 Moderator

Lol, that’s beter radio speek than 95% of the monkeys in my unit would use.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m