How does one get a post to be a sticky?

• I see A&AHE as two stickies in this forum.

I would like to do the same thing with A&ARe (Enhanced)

Who do I send the check to……?  :roll:

• well, these are the moderators dezrtfish, DarthMaximus, Guerrilla Guy
    I heard you have to send them a postcard  :-D

by the way I wonder if we can have AARHE stickied at avalonhills too

and its AARHE and AARe is it? :wink:
    where did people get the &'s from?

• @tekkyy:

and its AARHE and AARe is it? :wink:
    where did people get the &'s from?

I believe that Axis & Allies Revised enhanced

• is that official?

the actual Enhanced rules file doesn’t use a shortform
    and the sticky thread at avalonhills calls it “AARe”

as for Historical Edition, both the rules file and sticky thread uses “AARHE”

• @tekkyy:

is that official?

Nope, that’s me typing.

@tekkyy:

the actual Enhanced rules file doesn’t use a shortform
    and the sticky thread at avalonhills calls it “AARe”

It’s like “BILL” and “William”… they are interchangeable.

AARe is probably the “official” moniker.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I agree, AARe should be stickied.  It’s significantly better then AAR and not quite as complicated as AARHE

• Yes add it as the third sticky. AS long as somebody can benefit from it its worthy.

• So I visited the avalon hills board and saw they are drafting an update to AARe.
    Along the lines of the uber destroyer strat and the UK always going for radar issue.
    Glad to see AARe moving again after 2 years of “code freeze”.

After AARe is stickied here I hope the AARe team gives feedback outside of avalon hills board just as much consideration.

• I see several sub-topic discussion on AARe, but no overall rules topic.  Which thread do you need stickied?

• @ncscswitch:

I see several sub-topic discussion on AARe, but no overall rules topic.  Which thread do you need stickied?

I need to create a new 'MAIN" AARe thread that has the rules and the ranking list.  I guess I was trying to understand the process of getting the sticky first.

I will let you know, thank you!

• You could use the exist thread.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=8893.0

There are 3 pages and probably include a few of the frequently asked questions.
    Remember you can edit the original post and even change the topic name.

This is quite useful as you can keep the 1st post updated and use it to release latest files.

• I think that since the AH boards are supposed to go away some time in the future, that I want to link to the Gleemax AARE thread and actually cut and paste the rules into the thread (easier than asking someone to download the word doc).

this will take a little effort, and I am short time right at the moment.

Radar is a really nice one.  But it’s not the only useful one for England.  Lend-Lease is okay.  But Colonial Garrison and Commonwealth are not bad either.

Dunno.

I think the big problem with Radar is it makes getting Combined Arms too easy.  Actually, Combined Arms could use a nerf.  Maybe limit it to 5 destroyers per battle or something.  Dunno.

• @Cmdr:

Radar is a really nice one.  But it’s not the only useful one for England.  Lend-Lease is okay.  But Colonial Garrison and Commonwealth are not bad either.

Dunno.

I think the big problem with Radar is it makes getting Combined Arms too easy.  Actually, Combined Arms could use a nerf.  Maybe limit it to 5 destroyers per battle or something.  Dunno.

I have been experimenting with just combined arms for US, no Radar for UK, they fight a conventional war.  Even THAT seems pretty damn strong.  Germany is hard pressed to hold western while maintining enough forces in germany/southern/eastern against all those russian bodies.

Someone suggested we might want to incorporate the AAE nerfing of DD offshores to only a “2” instead of a “3”.  More testing is ongoing.

I know.  It’s hard to fix it without completely nerfing it.

Maybe if you made Atlantik Wall counter shore bombardments like Jets counter SBRs and Rockets?  All defending infantry roll first, any one’s counter a destroyer’s bombardment?

It would force Germany to take the national advantage, which is a cost but one they can mitigate by just watching what the allies do and taking it later in the game (you don’t need to take your second NA on turn two) and it would provide protection.  But it would not be over powering protection.  Sure, 42 infantry would negate most 7 bombardments from destroyers, but it would still cost 126 IPC to build them.

Meanwhile, no impact would be made to Battleships.  This gives some security to the bombardment practice still.

• @Cmdr:

I know.  It’s hard to fix it without completely nerfing it.

Maybe if you made Atlantik Wall counter shore bombardments like Jets counter SBRs and Rockets?  All defending infantry roll first, any one’s counter a destroyer’s bombardment?

It would force Germany to take the national advantage, which is a cost but one they can mitigate by just watching what the allies do and taking it later in the game (you don’t need to take your second NA on turn two) and it would provide protection.  But it would not be over powering protection.  Sure, 42 infantry would negate most 7 bombardments from destroyers, but it would still cost 126 IPC to build them.

Meanwhile, no impact would be made to Battleships.  This gives some security to the bombardment practice still.

That’s not a bad idea.  Enhanced is VERY much about being able to counter certain strategies, and you might have something.

I had proposed somethign similiar except you would not need Atlantic Wall to have it effective, that being that the DD offshores do not count as opening fire hits.  In other words, as you suggest, they can return fire.

• at the avalon hills board it was argued that Radar is a counter to almost everything Germany goes for
    not that fun is it

Radar, IMHO, stops England from being obliterated right out of the door.  However, it’s MORE useful in that it allows Combined Arms to be purchased on the cheap (8 IPC, instead of 16-24 IPC).

As for the Atlantik Wall thing, I was thinking that Atlantik Wall represents all those fortifications the Germans built in Northern France, correct?  Well they would provide SOME protection from shelling, hence why D-Day was not a stroll along the beach, but a bitter fight resulting in thousands dead before the first feet landed on the beach.

So why not have a national advantage impact a technology?  Radar already impacts Jets by allowing them to be hit by AA Fire instead of being immune.  So the precedent is already set on that score.  And, to be honest, Atlantik Wall is a pretty good NA to have anyway.  Free infantry a round in W. Europe and bonus on defensive dice from amphibious assaults AND a shot per round at your naval target of choice.  (Even better when coupled with 88s.)

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I really like the idea.  It’s not over powering.  It would still take 6 infantry on the average to block one destroyer bombardment and it would have no impact on battleship bombardments. (12 inch guns vs 16 inch guns, I believe.) It’s pretty accurate in history since the area was fortified to high heaven.  And, to top it all off, it does not require Germany to abandon W. Europe to stop the allies from, in essense, SBRing them to death with Destroyer/Battleship fire.

Meanwhile, it does cost the Germans for this protection, so it’s not like you are nerfing something the allies have.  Germany is free NOT to take the NA (I’d maybe even recommend making it choice two and only after the allies have sunk a lot of money into Combined Arms and Destroyers.  Just the threat of the NA could keep the allies honest.)

• Well, it depends what we are trying to stop.
    Jen’s solution reduces the free ride damage of destroyer bombardment.
    Your solution reduces the chance of sucessful landing from the free ride.

I’m thinking of more along the lines of least impact on the game.  Negating the opening fire from bombardments is a violation of Revised, LHTR 1.3 and LHTR 2.0.  Which is fine, since this is AARe not AAR, but it is something to consider.

The idea I posted, which is growing on me more and more, fixes abuse of destroyer bombards at a cost, and only for the one nation that’s most abused by destroyer bombardments.  It also does not kill their utility, it just allows the defender to dig in, absorb the hits in the landscape and fortifications, and then return to their posts to fire on the landing crews.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m