• I like limericks.  :-P

I wonder if this might be a comparable opening to pure land troops; I saw this a long while ago. The assumption is that Germany is forgoing the carrier purchase because they don’t prefer to defend the seas.

The benefit is that you can station all your airforce in W. Europe, and use the 2 bombers to trade Ukraine/Belo while the 5-6 fighters in W. Europe can attack Karelia, which allows everyone to land back in W. Europe.

Stationing all airforce in W. Europe is great for the multiple threats - Allied shipping is at maximum risk (if you purchase a carrier those 2 figs there may not be able to attack SZ12 if the Baltic is locked in such that the carrier can’t move out to SZ7 to pick them up), W. Europe has all fighters stationed for defense.

Not to mention, now you have 2 bombers in W. Europe with nice range, forcing the Allies to think twice about where they’re sending their lonely tran.

The cost of this plan is obviously 15 IPCs which could be used to build 5 inf. That is not an insignificant cost. 5 inf is far superior for defense compared to the bomber, and far more useful in taking territories.

The way that I look at it though is that it is roughly worth the 15 IPCs. For one, you allow at least 2 more fighters than normal to defend W. Europe (usually they’re out at sea or in Germany to contest Ukr/Belo), which is better than 2 inf on defense. And secondly, I very much like the idea of keeping the Allied shipping on its toes.

What do y’all think?

• It would be worth considering especially if Germany was able to keep the Ukraine ftr for a total luftwaffe of 8 planes… pretty strong against an allied navy.

not sure of the optimal german navy movements in conjunction with the Bomber buy
    move the baltic out?  just sit in sz5 and say: “Come close and I will whack ya”?

How about the MEd fleet?  SZ13 is nice, saves a sub, pressures an Allied torch landing as well as SZ8.

Hope the bid and bomber can take AES, should happen.

Do you just get 8 inf with the bomber buy?

• not sure of the optimal german navy movements in conjunction with the Bomber buy
    move the baltic out?  just sit in sz5 and say: “Come close and I will whack ya”?

I think you should run the navy the hell away. It probably isn’t going to survive, but it forces the UK to do something about it right there before it escapes. If they send all airforce then just hope that you burn off a couple fighters, if they send more than think about whether you can submerge your subs and come back with a big whooping, or if not then shrug it off and hope you take out 1 tran or 1 fighter.

If you can combine the baltic with the SZ8 sub then all the better, but you might not be able to if you like to take Anglo hard, in which case you need the SZ8 to kill the UK BB with.

But having the Baltic sit there has its own merit because you can use it for a couple turns to shuffle infantry from Norway/Karelia/Germany.

How about the MEd fleet?  SZ13 is nice, saves a sub, pressures an Allied torch landing as well as SZ8.

This just depends on your game theory. If you like to take Anglo hard, then you’ll just have to eat the cost of the SZ8 sub. If you can take Anglo hard it becomes hairy for the Allies because now they have to deflect at least 2 full rounds of units to try to dislodge the Germans, and personally as Germany I love to see the Allies shoving massive units down there just for preventative measures; that’s a lot of troops I’m not facing in Europe.

If you don’t really care to take Anglo hard, then SZ13 is what I like to do. It stops the Allies from jumping into Algeria on round one, and if it doesn’t look like the Allies know what they’re doing then I turn it into a naval link. You gotta annoy the Allies in some way whether it’s overpowering Anglo or making a big fleet for low cost.

Do you just get 8 inf with the bomber buy?

Yup there’s no other option. After that I’d just mash out infantry until armageddon pretty much. The only time I would stop infantry is after I have about 20 in W. Europe, 15 or so in Germany, 30’ish in E. Europe, and then I would work in 2-3 arm to push with.

• I can see a BOM buy on G1 possibly working under the following circumstances…
    1.  Germany bid at least 2 units to Libya
    2.  Ukraine was not attacked

I do think it would mandate a Med Fleet move to SZ13 and linking up with the SZ8 SUB.

Baltic fleet stays put as a bait/target for the RAF.

With 1 BB/TRN in SZ13, and with a lot of FIGs in Western and 2 BOMs, UK can;t really afford to risk the AF or Sea Lion becomes an issue.  And an early Allied move to Algeria is kind of a non-issue since the fleet can be hit with SUB, TRN, BB, 6 FIGs, 2 BOM.

I would leave the Baltic Fleet in home waters though…  Not going to give UK a chance to use ships to add to the attack on it… make him waste AF on the attack if he tries it.  If he does not, SZ7 link-up time in G2 :-)

• Well put switch, it probably does work best given your 2 conditions that Ukraine is not attacked and bid units are in Lib.

• Bombers are one of the units that are overpriced.
    The extended range of bmrs and the fact that bmrs attack at 4 instead of 3 (ftr&tank) does not make them
    good enough. As for all expensive units, u want to keep the ones u start with, but bmrs are bad investment.
    Even if bmrs can reach lone trans where ftrs cannot, this is not useful in most situations, and can be easily countered.

I would not buy bmrs if they cost 14 ipc. I could try to buy 1 or 2 bmr with UK, US or Jap if bmrs cost 12 ipc,
    just to see if bmrs were any useful with a reduced price.

• True as well Lucifer.

Would you consider rolling 1 tech dice per turn then to get long range fighters? 1 bomber may not shift the odds in those far out seazones, but if you suddenly have 6 fighters that have the range of a regular bomber…  :evil:

• @Bean:

Well put switch, it probably does work best given your 2 conditions that Ukraine is not attacked and bid units are in Lib.

Didn’t I say the same thing?

• What about a 8 bid in Baltic fleet (addictional Trn) and then 1 Bmbr and 8 inf?
    Cons: for sure Africa may be more problematic. Pros Sea Lion is even more a danger.

• Didn’t I say the same thing?

Well put, Axis Roll!

• What about a 8 bid in Baltic fleet (addictional Trn) and then 1 Bmbr and 8 inf?
    Cons: for sure Africa may be more problematic. Pros Sea Lion is even more a danger.

Sea Lion is just too easy to counter, and so is the Baltic fleet without a carrier; I guess you could build a carrier on G2 but now you’re really low on ground troops and also you’re stuck in the Baltic since the carrier hasn’t deployed yet.

Africa is one of the Allies’ weakpoints, so you gotta push that weakpoint somehow.

• @Bean:

True as well Lucifer.

Would you consider rolling 1 tech dice per turn then to get long range fighters? 1 bomber may not shift the odds in those far out seazones, but if you suddenly have 6 fighters that have the range of a regular bomber…  :evil:

No, even if I played with tech I would not roll for long range, other then if I play axis with pure OOB rules settings.
    I haven’t played with tech since classic, and that’s over 15 years ago….
    Imo A&A  is a strategy game, not…something else…!
    Tech makes it less strategy and more pure math calculation.
    If a game can take from 2-3 to 5-8 hours, for me a game is “ruined” if someone gets a tech advantage.
    If everyone played with tech I would also play with tech, same as for reg dice vs LL.

I try play competative and that’s not easy for me, generally speaking.
    So I use the settings/rules which are most common in the community where I play, I and also use the
    strats and tactics that are most used by most top players.
    For me the beauty is not in the cost of units, it’s in the stats, the tuv stats, and if the map wears my colors… :evil:
    Surely inf is the most boring units in the game, but it will help u win, not all inf alone ofc, but u see the picture.

• Bombers are one of the units that are overpriced.

yes they are. should be at 12.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Another way to look at it is that the bomber CAN defend land, Carriers cannot.  Bombers do not tie up fighters defending at sea.  Bombers are cheaper then carriers.

Not saying I am discrediting or advocating the plan.  Just wanted to put some thoughts out there.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m