• For those who play A&A Miniatures here via MapView PBEM, here is a sample I created of Set II, with great help of Cobalt.

BACKUP YOUR OLD URBAN COMBAT UDM BEFORE DROPPING THIS ONE IN!

Points I’d like feedback on:

I’m contemplating biting the bullet and enlarging the maps now, since I will have to do it eventually (I think) once aircraft and obstacles are added in the latter sets.

Note some new markers, arrows, fonts.

One or two tanks (the Panzer III Ausf F off the top of my head) are a bit out of proportion, so I might shrink it so it is not larger than the King Tiger.

Are there any other suggestions for anything (sizes, new markers, colors, whatever)?

Mot

• Couldn’t attach it, it’s too big and apparently not a supported file type?

• Hey Mot, did you refine the white borders on the Set II pieces? They look good on my MapView. Also, my first attempt to start a new game with the new mod crashed … showed an “image error” diolog box very briefly before shutting down. Opened fine the seconnd go around.

As for the migration to the new maps, I am in favor. I just played my first game with the new set and maps last weekend and I thought every worked out fine.

Also, I still would like to make some mods based off of some of the historical scenarios posted on the WOTC web site. Hope to work on that this weekend.

• Hey Mot, did you refine the white borders on the Set II pieces? They look good on my MapView.

Yeah, I’m anal  :-D  Actually, it really only took a minute.

Also, my first attempt to start a new game with the new mod crashed … showed an “image error” diolog box very briefly before shutting down. Opened fine the seconnd go around.

Slightly concerning…perhaps you dropped in the new UDM while MapView was running?

As for the migration to the new maps, I am in favor. I just played my first game with the new set and maps last weekend and I thought every worked out fine.

Not exactly what I meant, but definately need to include the new maps.  I really meant increasing the size on the screen of the original maps to make more room in each hex for more units, markers, etc.

Also, I still would like to make some mods based off of some of the historical scenarios posted on the WOTC web site. Hope to work on that this weekend.

I don’t know much about them, are thye just custom maps?

Mot

• Hey, I’m not sure if I did it right but the new map looks the same as the old map?  No set II pieces?

• Hey Mot, not only do the historical scenarios have custom maps, they have historical force builds. It’s less about an evenly matched, 100 point meeting engagements on a random map and more about offense, defense, and reserves in context with a historical campaign.

• @Half-Track:

Hey, I’m not sure if I did it right but the new map looks the same as the old map?  No set II pieces?

I only put them in Urban Combat to start with while I’m working on the module.  Once they are all in and working then I can push them to the other modules.  Please try out Urban Combat.

Mot

• Looks great.  I had no problems installing the module or running it on MV ver.1.3.18

That said, there are only 21 units in the Set II tab, but my record shows 45 Set II units.  Am I correct in this?

The units look great.  The angular viewpoint is very aesthetically pleasing rather than a side veiw.

My chief concern is not being able to readily recognize nationality.  Even in some of the Set I pieces it is an issue.  I wonder if its possible to include a tiny A&A flag with a unit?  Or some other mechanism by which nationality can be easily recognized?  Is it even necessary?  I’m pretty anal too  :roll:

• Looks great.  I had no problems installing the module or running it on MV ver.1.3.18

You are two-builds behind in your MapView…

That said, there are only 21 units in the Set II tab, but my record shows 45 Set II units.  Am I correct in this?

Hence the “prototype” title  :evil:

The units look great.  The angular viewpoint is very aesthetically pleasing rather than a side veiw.

I agree, makes them more interesting!

My chief concern is not being able to readily recognize nationality.  Even in some of the Set I pieces it is an issue.  I wonder if its possible to include a tiny A&A flag with a unit?  Or some other mechanism by which nationality can be easily recognized?  Is it even necessary?  I’m pretty anal too  :roll:

Well, you can always just hover your mouse over the unit to find out what it is.  Is that sufficient?

Mot

• You are two-builds behind in your MapView…

I use the 1.3.20 at home.  Too lazy to change my office pc

Hence the “prototype” title

Tooche!

Well, you can always just hover your mouse over the unit to find out what it is.  Is that sufficient?

When looking at things overall from a big picture, it can be overlooked.  Even knowing the SMLE and Inspiring Lt are UK units, I’ve mixed them up visually before.  I know somebody who’s mixed up the Panther and Tiger often enough  :evil:  'Twas just a mention  8-)  Even something simple as all Axis face east all Allies face west is a good visual identifier to note alliance.

• Panther, Tiger, Rabid Tabby, blah, blah … what’s the difference  :-D

I’m open for suggestions on how to make it more clear, though facing is not something I’m inclined to use in the event that I ever implement better support for real facing indicators (as opposed to using the seperate marker we have today).

I suppose I could add a rondel to each unit with it’s country insignia?

• I suppose I could add a rondel to each unit with it’s country insignia?

It might help.  But if I’m the only one making note of such a situation.  Then the point is moot and only extra work on your end.

• Well given the number of people who PBEM AAM, you represent 25% of the user population  :-o

• :mrgreen:

• MOTDC Sorry, I clicked the link above, replaced the old map and no new units are there when I open Urban Combat.  Am I doing something wrong?

• I put the new units in their own tab, did you see a new tab in the unit pallet?

If not, please list all of the files that are in:

c:\program files\motcreations\mapview\usermods

Sorry for the problems!

Mot

• AamHighGround.udm
    AamHalfAndHalf.udm
    AamHill107.udm
    AamKnifeFight.udm
    AamTigerHeaven.udm
    AamUrbanCombat.udm

• 1.  Shutdown MapView if running.

2.  Rename AAMUrbanCombat.udm to AAMUrbanCombat.bak.

3.  Restart MapView and confirm you don’t have Urban Combat any longer.

4.  Shutdown MapView again.

5.  Re-download the AAMUrbanCombat.udm prototype from the link (to the usermods dir)

6.  Restart MapView and you should see Urban Combat come back again.

Let me know how you make out!

• ok i got it now thanks.

I got an additional 23?  I didn’t check them all but are there missing?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m