• Has anyone tried these out?  If so, how do they compare to the initial rules?  We have lost some interest in the game due to the amount of luck involved and the unbalance of some units.  Has any of this been addresed in the expanded rules?

• The expanded rules are generally good just to have the errata together.  Too bad its not all glossy though.

The new rules that are included that I consider worthwhile are…

Overwatch, really very useful.  I made a token to represent this.  Too bad the enemy knows where the overwatch is but that is the nature of miniature gaming.  I have set up very good overwatch with extended range units and forced a complete change to the enemies plans.

Aircraft, this makes sense to penalize units shooting at planes that are not on the flight path.  It makes it less likely for a random shot. That said, I’m still not a big fan of any of the planes and only use them when my oponents agree to add a plane or two to the builds without cost.

Enfilade Fire, I really like this as it promotes maneuvre.  Pushing a unit up tight to an opponent to draw his attention is worth the risks to get a bonus for the guys you’ve snuck around the back.

Grazing fire, this too is great for MG capabilities.  If you’re succesful at catching three units in a beaten zone, you can now have the oportunity to shoot them or choose to take the original double shot on one unit in particular.

Defensive Fire, instant kills are now possible.  Overwatch is Defensive Fire which allows instant results for the alert gunner watching his arcs.

The other additions are just fluff.  But I’m okay with that.

Is the new rule book worth $20?  I guess.  Are these rules enough to play?  I still like the simplicity of the game and will continue to play. I’ve never had any issues with over powering of some units as their employment just requires a new solution.

I also like the new maps, though as I’ve often said, I have a home made blank hex board 3 ft x 8 ft and can create my own maps at will.

Does anyone live near Peterborough Ontario and want to get together?

Audacity

• So basically these rules give you more tactical choices and strategies.  That sounds interesting.  Do you use the House updates to all the units?  We started using them, but there are a few things i don’t like about them either, just wanted to know if you use the standard stat cards or the house ones.

• I only use what is on the cards I have.  We don’t even bother with “official” WoTC updates to Panzer Grenediers or whomever.

It remains a decent playable game.  I’ve watched too many other games get so detailed that you can never play through a decent battle.  I have one friend who would take 16 hours to recreate 16 seconds of a guys life if he could do it perfectly.

• @Audacity:

I only use what is on the cards I have.  We don’t even bother with “official” WoTC updates to Panzer Grenediers or whomever.

It remains a decent playable game.  I’ve watched too many other games get so detailed that you can never play through a decent battle.  I have one friend who would take 16 hours to recreate 16 seconds of a guys life if he could do it perfectly.

Word.  :mrgreen:

• If anything, they’ve made things worse. Go read the “beta” versions of the rules on the Wizard forum, they are free, better than the published garbage, and include good changes that the a**wipes at Wizards decided to leave out while putting in BAD changes like grazing fire that the community was telling them to leave out. The “Wizards” don’t have a clue when it comes to making a war game it seems.

• Is it just me or does it bother anybody else that the Expanded Rules cover is not stapled to the actual book? And on the back cover they included Greece as an ally but not Hungary as an Axis. Also the sign for Poland is not the same as that of the one on the Stat Card. Its the little things that drive me nuts!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m