Help with printing A&Are Historical map and reference cards

• Basically what I want to do is print out the historical map with all its extra victory cities at roughly the same size as the origonal board, maybe a tad bigger, and then piece the pages togethr so that I can take it down to the advocate and have them laminate it in a sort of scroll format (hey its dry-eraseable at that point!)

Im having no luck so far though ive wasted ink on five tries. Any tips? Do I just zoom into the approximate right size and print the current view and try to piece them together or what? Any advice? How do most people make use of this pdf?

I would suggest PM Imperious Leader directly, he should be able to help you complete that process since he designed the map…

• hi all, been a while.

this first pic is what i had been using, i manually printed things out in one page sections via “print selection” command and pieced them all together, and laminated them with clear packing tape. Ultimately it proved to be a little larger than the default gameboard like I wanted, but still sloppy looking and with some bumps here and there which complicated unit placement due to tipping or sliding:

it was larger enough than the default board that things in europe didn’t seem so crowded anymore, but shoddy looking still, and that can wear on the nerves.

So I finally said enough is enough, and took the map pdf file on a jump drive down to minuteman press in London Kentucky and had them blow it up and laminate it….it costed $118 IPCs U.S. Dollars.

Its 2 foot by 3 foot, and gives us plenty of room for stacks. I got tired of kenny’s fat fingers knocking over my german stacks and scattering them across europe…he says my money was wasted because “those damn germans were going across europe anyway I just helped you out is all”.

but here it is:

Now its a matter of using felt covered plywood and trim or lever/arms to mount it to a stable and portable surface to a have a gorgeous large size dedicated axis & allies gaming board. since the revised historical map is the best version I’ve ever seen, i’d like to thank those who made it.

Truly, thank you.

Yet my players can’t appreciate the depth and complexity of revised historical, so I’m making a new rules set in MS word just for our group which I’ll call “Axis & Allies, revised historical Redneck Edition”.

It will essentially be a cross between OOB rules that came with revised, and the best parts of Historical and the anniversary edition (I like how SBR’ing is done in anniversary for example)

So for the next while, I’ll be trying to put this together and hope i achieve balance without having to playtest and revise endlessly (i have tripleA with the revised module for most testing, such as alternate set up effects)

The one thing i wanted to do, but im not sure how it will effect flow or balance, is take the revised turn structure and order of play from historical and use it…but I cant really test its effects in tripleA. Anyone familiar with how that changes things, please chime in with details about such.

Things like anniversary SBR, air superiority and victory city infantry spawn from historical, and house rules like CAP and air intercept etc are what I’m looking to incorporate. I have a left over d10 with funky symbols from a star trek game used for target locks that i’m going to possibly incorporate for naval bombardment and antiaircraft guns (rather than inflict casualties by default, this dice will tell you whether your efforts have no effect (proceed as normal), or lend a bonus to attack or defense of landing troops/AA guns)

anyway, I’ve been prowling through the forums here the last week or so getting houserule ideas for our custom version. If ya’ll like when i get it done I’ll lay it out for ya.

• let me know how it plays out.

This is a bit different from normal AA and we also made a light version AARHE: Light

• it honestly never occured to me to check out lite. Think i’ll do that.

But I assume you’ve played a lot of historical, so maybe you can tell me, does the russia, then axis, then allies, then axis & allies ad nauseum turn structure alter the gameplay in anyway, does it effect balance negatively?

I mean one of the major components of OOB A&A revised that is integral to strategy it seems is that something can be done on one powers turn that cannot be undone until anothers, or that something is pointless to do because it will be undone on the next powers turn, etc.

If say germany and japan go at once, does it open possibilities for unbalanced moves that are hard to counter?
    Or conversely, on the allied turn, russia/india can be reinforced it seems to a greater extent before otherwise “normal” axis gains can be made (for example normally germany and japan will get to make a little progess before the US or UK can field units to help defend russia)

I will say again, that the revised historical map is superior in one vital way, to me, that other maps are not, and that is the ipc values for nuetrals and the increased number of victory cities, just having this on the map opens many new rules possibilities that can help break the monotonous mold of most games were the same moves are made over and over and the dice are largely the grand determiners of success.

Sure there are a great many more “gorgeous” maps out there, in terms of the color scheme, layout, addition of convoy zones and such, but most seem to lack the expanded IPC listings, the numerous victory cities, and yet still closely match the revised map enough for my tastes.

anywho, thank you again for a wonderful map and the numerous ideas.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m