Imperious Leader Pimps your AA50 game in two pages or less:
“How I stopped worrying about the A-Bomb and love his house rules”
This module is designed to incorporate the latest ideas from the upcoming AAE40 and AAP40 games and throw in a few cutting edge house rules that you can get started with straight away. I deliberately kept a KISS policy for the purists.New Units:
1) Mechanized Infantry: These are 1-2-2-4 units and receive a +1 bonus with Artillery.
2) Changes to Tanks and Carriers: Tanks now cost 6 IPC and Aircraft Carriers now take 2 hits to sink and cost 18 IPC.
3) Fighter-Bomber: These are 3-3-4-11 units. Air Superiority: Fighters matched up with Fighter-bombers increases the fighter- bomber's attack number from 3 to 4. This same aircraft can also be matched up with tanks during land battles and attack at 4. Optional idea: If used in naval battles, this unit can select its hit on the first round.
4) Fortification Unit: Against invasions these defend only at 2 or less against every land unit in the first combat round after shore bombardment rolls are made. Only one fortification per territory. You can only build these in your originally controlled territories. Against normal land attacks these units boost the defense of all you ground units +1 for the duration of all combat rounds. Fortification units take one hit, can’t be moved, and cannot be captured. These units cost 8 IPC.
5) Airborne: These are dedicated forces and are 1-2-1-5. All players have ability to drop these units as per OOB AA50 rules. In combat during the first round they attack at 3. They always fire first preemptively in that first round before any other unit. On the second round latter they are like any other infantry.
6) Ports: These are special installations that protect naval units from naval combat. These cost 8 IPC and can only be built in territories adjacent from either a Major or Minor factory. If an AA gun is in the territory it fires at any attacking planes. Ships sunk while in port can be rebuilt at a cost reduction of 2 IPC per unit. Entering the port costs 1 Movement point, but leaving the port is a free movement allowing the ship to move 2 spaces.
7) Major and Minor Factories: Major factories can produce 10 units per turn minus any damage they have received. Minor – can build 3 units per turn minus damage. Factories (Industrial Complexes) cannot be built on islands (Japan and Australian exceptions). Major factories cost 30 IPC’s each. Minor factories cost 12. They each have their own AA gun defense systems built in. A minor IC can only be built on a territory with an IPC offering of 2 or more… a major requires 3 or more. Minor factories may not be upgraded to major Factories, However, players may "Scorch Earth" their own factories from Major to Minor to removal as follows:
1) one downgrade per turn if territory is not under attack
2) one downgrade per combat round if territory is under attack
If the factory falls in enemy hands it remains in the most current state at the time of capture, so If the Soviet player wants to downgrade his Karelia factory it will take one turn or he must survive the first round of combat to "Scorch" it.
Kamikaze planes: The Japanese player can allocate his planes as Kamikaze once he is reduced below his starting IPC level. He selects a naval target and rolls a 3 or less to hit. The selected unit AND the plane are destroyed. This would include any ship that normally takes two hits.
9) US marines: These are normal infantry, but during sea invasions on small islands, the first round is always attacking at +1 (in addition to other bonus).
10) Changes to Cruisers: Cruisers now include AA capabilities and up to one cruiser may fire at each attacking plane prior to the start of naval combat hitting at a 1. It also gains ASW capability to negate a subs first strike capability once Radar Technology is gained.Damaged Warships:
Damaged Battleships and Carriers must return to a friendly naval base ( port) when damaged in order to repair, (if they want to be repaired). Damaged carrier's can't land or launch aircraft when in a damaged state.China:
Round up fractions to determine Chinese builds. If Burma is controlled by UK, always add one Infantry to Chinese builds.Canal/Straights:
No axis ships may pass into or out of the Mediterranean unless they control Gibraltar. No Allies ships may enter the Baltic unless the Allies control Both Norway and Northwest Europe at the start of their turn. No ships may enter the Black Sea from the Mediterranean Sea.Hawaiian special rule:
The American player may always build one naval unit or air unit at Hawaii
Italy special rule: The Allies must first invade control Sicily before invading Italy by sea. Sicily and Italy are connected as land territories.Technology Changes:Replace Technology #3 with the following:
3. Atomic Weaponry. (You must have Rockets and Heavy Bombers) Heavy Bombers roll 3 dice: 2 reduce IPC in the normal fashion, 1 is permanent reduction in IPC.Modify Mechanized Infantry Technology as follows:
6. Mechanized Infantry. Each infantry that is matched up with a tank can move two spaces along with the tank.Starting setup for new units:
Note: All players receive one Port with each major Factory as long as it touches a sea zone. Players can choose where this goes.Germany:
Blockhouse in Germany
Fighter- Bomber and Minor Factory in France
Mechanized Infantry in LibyaItaly:
Mechanized Infantry in ItalyJapan:
Minor Factory in Manchuria
Replace one Fighter each on all three carriers with Fighter-Bombers
Add one blockhouse to: Okinawa, Caroline Islands, and Iwo JimaSoviet Union:
Karelia S.S.R. Factory is downgraded to Minor Factory
Blockhouse in Caucasus
Minor Factory in Novosibirsk
Mechanized Infantry and Fighter-Bomber in MoscowUnited Kingdom:
Minor factory and Mechanized Infantry in India
Minor factory in Australia
Blockhouse in GibraltarUnited States:
Add Fighter-Bomber with carrier in SZ #44
Add Port in Hawaii